4.0 out of 5 stars Useful crossword aid
Bought this crossword dictionary plus the Bradford Crossword Solvers Lists for my husband for Christmas. My 70-year old husband is a technophobe but enjoys doing his daily crossword. His dictionary and thesaurus were so well thumbed the covers and some of the pages were falling apart. Every Sunday he attempts a more complex crossword in a well-known newspaper and,...
Published on 17 Jan 2011 by Badger

3.0 out of 5 stars Collins Bradfords crossword solvers dictionary
On the whole very good but it has a lot missing, i.e.naming countries and their capitals (capitals are shown but not to which country they relate) various anniversaries, authors, playwrights etc. various gods and religions, Greek and Roman alphabets and numbers also not shown. Personally although this book is helpful I do not find it anywhere as good as the 30 year old...
Published on 17 Jun 2010 by margaret

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars happy Christmas present, 27 Dec 2010
I bought this as a Christmas present for my sister-in-law, a crossword nut. She is thrilled to bits with it as an alternative to a large volume book which would be bulky to carry around.
There have been no complaints about it at all, she finds it very useful and it saves her phone bill. She no longer keeps ringing up for help.Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary

5.0 out of 5 stars good solver, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary (Paperback)
Item received swiftly, well packed, reasonably priced, item used daily and invaluable with the daily crossword. I would recommend this book to all crossword addicts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bradfords Crossword Solver., 6 April 2014
I love this book I always use it for help in solving difficult crossword clues. This is my second one - my original fell to pieces because I used it so much but it was very old. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love crosswords - love my Bradfords!, 4 Mar 2014
Sundays are not the same without the weekend crosswords from the papers. Of course I need help with a lot of the answers and my Bradfords supply them mostly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for most but problems for some elderly, 3 Mar 2014
This was my third copy of the same book. It contains more information than ever, but the print size is a fair bit smaller than in my earlier editions resulting in me having to use a magnifying glass to read it. This is caused by my advancing years and worsening eyesight and so the book would be fine for those without this problem but is something worth bearing in mind for those, like me, who are a bit ga-ga.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I like it, 24 Feb 2014
Arrived on time and in very good order. The book met all my expectations again. Well done. I would recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword dictionary, 19 Feb 2014
5 stars because it does what it says, good mix of lists and definitions. Easy to navigate and up to date

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it had the "answers" in order of number of letters, 14 Feb 2014
Fabulous companion for people who like cryptic crosswords. I'm just starting out and this book is invaluable. My only gripe is that the printed book has "answers" in alphabetical order rather than order of number of letters which for cryptics I feel would be more useful.

I have also bought the Kindle Version so that I can use it whilst travelling (which I do often for work) and bizzarely that does have the "answers" ordered by the number of letters.

The printed Chambers Crossword Solver's Dictionary (which I also have) does have the answers in length order if I were to just have one printed book I would choose the Chambers.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book on its own in the crossword field, 11 Feb 2014
well worth the cost. it does what it says on the cover. Must get the partner to this one soon

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 8 Feb 2014
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was recently doing a cryptic crossword and needed to find a nine-letter synonym for `deferential`, so I consulted this rich multi-course wordhoard for a sneaky tip-off. Under the following entry - Defer(ence), Deferential, Deferring - I found twenty words and terms related to the concept, but not the one I finally came up with under my own steam - which was, in case you`re interested, `kowtowing`.
So why wasn`t it there? Beats me.
I`ve had the same experience with this overrated book on various occasions. Undaunted by the encomia from the likes of Araucaria (RIP), Azed, and a suitably unremorseful Colin Dexter on the back cover, I am here to say that this dictionary, with its marvellous lists - of Architects, Capitals, and Devices, for example - looks like a damn good idea, but in practice is a frustrating, optimistically formatted, ultimately inconclusive lame duck.
It`s fine if you want to learn a plethora of arcane words and phrases - many of which, let`s face it, are so obscure that, due to the book`s come-one-come-all format, you`ll need to look them up in a dictionary after encountering them here - but it so seldom has le mot juste one is searching for as to render it much less helpful than its high reputation would lead one to believe.
I have beside my laptop a modest, compact Pocket Thesaurus from Penguin. In its nicely laid-out 500 pages or so I have, over the last couple of years, had more luck than with this 900-page lexical extravaganza. Naturally, this bigger, longer book has far more in it, but if you`re searching for that elusive word that will prevent you from climbing the walls or suffering a verbally sleep-banishing night of insomnia, you won`t necessarily find it within these pages.
And that can`t be right, can it?
There`s much here that is worth keeping on one`s bookshelf, but as the Crossword Solver`s Dictionary of choice - as it appears to advertise itself - it is, as it were, more Down than Across.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa65bc06c)

Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary
Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary by Anne R. Bradford (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
9.09