Format: PaperbackChange

I took a while to get into this New Adult tale which has a slow start but then I did become involved with the main character. Camryn Bennet is fighting off depression after her boyfriend's death in a car crash. She's aged twenty and hoping to move in with her best pal Natalie and be independent of her divorced mother. Natalie takes her to a club along with Natalie's coke-head boyfriend Damon. Unexpectedly Damon assaults the barman who takes Camryn out for some air, and then Damon tells Camryn that he has fancied her since school. Camryn leaves right away, but next day Natalie doesn't believe her account and their friendship is over.

Camryn takes a department store job, and visits her troubled brother in jail, and hears about her mother's speed-dating, and feels the depression return. One morning she packs a few things and gets on a bus with no destination in mind, to see something of America. A guy called Andrew is heading to visit his dying father, and he likes the look of this girl his own age and decides that conversation would pass the time. Unknown to them someone else is eyeing Camryn too, and he's a lot less harmless.

The story becomes a road trip with alternating viewpoints and even before the pair reach New Orleans we can feel the chemistry between them and see Camryn starting to think of someone else for a change, wake up and experience life. Like all road trips there are draggy stretches, conversations about not much, and the pair don't seem to be intellectual in the least. I was unhappy with some of Andrew's attitudes, for instance he talks casually about rape in terms such as "Goosebumps rape me," and is rather foul-mouthed, and neither of them gives any thought to protection although later we see that Andrew has used it with other girls. They eventually find themselves in Texas with altered concepts of their future.

I applaud the concept of getting out and throwing off depression but maybe this isn't the safest way to do it.
on 8 April 2015
The Edge of Never tells the story of Camryn and Andrew, two strangers who meet on a bus headed to Idaho, via Wyoming. Camryn is trying to escape her unfortunate past (the fates have dumped a lot in her lap over the past couple of years) and Andrew is travelling across country to visit his dad, who is dying of cancer.

I quite enjoyed this book. It’s told from the dual POV of Camryn and Andrew and although it’s primarily a romance, the author steered clear of instalove - the two characters do some quality sniping at each other when they first meet, which was very amusing. She also didn’t fall back on a love triangle to create tension, and I was so glad. Love triangles are starting to absolutely do my head in. Seriously, if you read much YA or NA fiction, you’d be forgiven for thinking that every girl out there is constantly having to make the tough decision between two hot guys. Because that happens to me, like, every day.

Anyway, that’s what the author doesn’t do. Instead, she builds in tension with Andrew and Camryn’s sad back stories. One of Camryn’s ex-boyfriends died in a car accident and the other turned out to be a bit of a scumbag, so before she meets Andrew she has sworn off men. Andrew, on the other hand, has never met a girl he likes enough to commit to and is now travelling across the country to visit his dad, who is dying of cancer.

I have to say, there was a point in the first few chapters where I thought that this was going to be my first DNF of the year. I didn’t connect with Camryn very much in the early part of the story and I think she made some odd choices, but I’m really glad I stayed with it because she grew a lot as a character once she got on the bus and I started to really enjoy her POV.

There was a twist at the end that I didn’t see coming and I thought the ending was maybe a little bit rushed because of it and everything surrounding the twist was wrapped up a bit quickly. Other than this, though, I thought The Edge of Never was a really enjoyable read and a very sweet romance.
on 21 January 2013
I really struggled to get through this book. I'm not quite sure why as the initial plot line is quite entertaining however it just didn't scream 'READ ME IN ONE SITTING!' to me like other books have done before, so it took me a few weeks to finish. There were a few things i didn't like about the book; to begin with i liked Camryn's character (it was the usual example of girl gone through something tragic so decides to never love again even though she is only 20) however towards the end i found myself rolling my eyes at some of her actions; especially the non stop crying. I felt that the book was far too long and some of the plot lines could have easily been cut out as they didn't add to the story. But then on the other hand the ending was really rushed, the climax happening in about the last 5%. Also, with out giving too much away, i couldn't understand the characters choices in terms to the climax of the book, i felt it wasn't explained very well and unrealistic. It was predictable, nothing shocked me.

Even though it seems i have slated the book it does have some positive points, the love that grows between the pair isn't rushed, they actually take their time to get to know each other. Which i think is important as there is nothing more annoying than when two characters are declaring their love for each other after 3 chapters. The writing style is also very good and there is no spelling mistakes (that i noticed), which is often common with Kindle books.

All in all, i didn't love it i probably won't read it again and it's not in my top 10 of fave books ever. However it's reasonably enjoyable and good value for money.
on 10 January 2015
Wow. This book. This beautiful book. I loved every page.

In a sea of new adult novels, The Edge of Never was like a breath of fresh air. I loved the road trip element to this story. Camryn and Andrew unexpectedly meet as they both are running from their current lives. They decide to seize the opportunity to travel together making sweet, sweet music.

Music was a big part of this book as were the artists The Civil Wars, as I was a huge fan of them beforehand, it made me love this book even more. I pictured Cam and Andrew’s journey like a movie playing in my head. From their run down motel stops to the cozy bars where they performed.

Of course, nothing lasts forever and Cam and Andrew’s time comes to an abrupt halt. Andrew’s problem was something I never seen coming and it floored me. Like great, big fat tears dripping from my eyes kinda floored me. It was written really well and had me on the edge of my seat.

I adored J.A Redmerski’s writing; I opened the first page of this book and couldn’t put it down until I swiped the very last one. The Edge of Never has everything you could want in a book. You must check this out!!

P.s. I adored the tattoos!! Perfect ending! ~Ava
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 November 2012
I find it hard to write a review for this book because I can't say what I didn't like about it as it will spoil the story for others.

When I saw the recommendations for this book and read the reviews on Amazon.com (all raving about it), I got the impression this book would be similar to 'The Sea of Tranquility'. I absolutely loved that book and it is one of my favourite books of 2012. Unfortunately for me, this novel is no comparison.

I didn't like Cam very much in the first half of the book, in fact, I didn't really like much about the first half of the book. I did however love the second half of the book and i loved the hero Andrew and Cam grew on me and I liked her by the end. There are many 'as if' moments in this book. Again, can't say why as it would be another spoiler. Although I have written spoiler reviews on other novels, it would be unfair to do so with this book as it would most definitely be a huge spoiler.

It is no secret from the reviews that there is a very big 'shock' towards the end of this novel. Reading between the lines of those reviews, I more or less guessed what the shock would be. When it did occur, I felt no emotion. In fact, I was not emotionally gripped by any aspect of this book and I quite often cry when reading an emotional book (again, Sea of Tranquility).

Reading the book, you have no clues as to what 'the big shock ending' is going to be and that is my biggest problem with this book. It was totally unrealistic what happened. I can't say why though as it would be a big spoiler. Suffice is to say, I have experience of what occurs and the author should perhaps have done a lot more research and made it more believable. Yes this is fiction, but when writing about something as real as she does, she needs to be a bit more aware. It ruined the book for me to be honest and I wish she had thought of a better and more realistic 'shocker'.

All in all, I recommend the book to readers. It's not going on my favourite list and I don't think I would re-read it. I also don't think it is worthy of all the five star reviews. They should be saved for 'The Sea of Tranquility'.
2020 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2015
This book has been on my radar almost since I started blogging, but I hadn’t bought it until recently when it was also recommended to me by my friend Kelli. We usually like the same books and authors like Colleen Hoover for example and this book was no different. I’m so glad I decided to download it.

The story is all about kindred spirits Camryn and Andrew. Both characters are on the road, one running from the trapped feeling that is consuming them and one heading home.

The story starts off with Camryn, setting the scene for her impulsive decision to take a time out from life. I could empathise with Camryn quite easily and her introduction to the readers will instantly win you over. She has been through quite a lot and to me she seemed like quite a selfless character although she finally embarks on a journey that is for her and her alone.

The two characters meet on their road trip and the banter between them in the beginning is quite fun to read because there is a friction between them that I feel comes from travelling but Andrew just has such a loveable rouge thing going on it’s hard not to feel a little captivated by him. That, and his tattoos.

The attraction to each other is there between the characters from the beginning although it’s subtle and grew gradually as the two characters began to get to know each other better. I liked that they took their time to build a relationship rather than just jumping straight into being in love. Andrew seemed to respect Camryn and almost keep her at arms-length a little throughout the initial stages of their friendship. At one point this is particularly evident and I could almost feel the emotional punch to the stomach that Camryn took, until I turned the page and J.A. Redmerksi soothed my soul by bringing Andrew to the rescue.

The narrative is told between Andrew and Camryn. I loved the dual POV in this story especially because each character had something totally different going on in their life even though their desire to avoid conforming to the norm brought them together.

The story becomes quite sad as the secret Andrew has been hiding, well might I add, throughout the story becomes very apparent. I can remember holding my breath, barely daring to turn the page to see what was going to happen at the end. I downloaded the second book straight away because I absolutely couldn’t help myself! Can’t wait to read more about Andrew and Cam.
on 6 July 2014
Review: I have to say this book was a real disappointment for me. I'd been wanting to read it for ages and ages and everyone else I know who has read it seems to think that it's a brilliant book. I had high hopes but I honestly don't think anything really happened at all, I can't see a storyline. To me this just seemed like a story about a bus journey with a couple of random sex scenes and a little bit of threat of tragedy thrown in for good measure. To deal with the touch of tragedy first of all, I think this has been overdone in books now, boy meets girl, girl doesn't realise boy has life threatening illness, boy may/may not die. Maybe I'm just picking up the same kind of books but to me this has been done loads recently, can't think why!

The character of Cam/Camryn wasn't really a very likeable character to me. I couldn't seem to see why she would take off on this bus journey and she seemed far to trusting and naive to have actually been able to make that decision for herself in the first place anyway. She trusted that she would have a sudden realisation of where she wanted to be or what she wanted to do and then she seemed trusting that Andrew would lead her on this right path. I liked the character of Andrew a lot. He seemed to know what he wanted or what he was running away from and so I found his storyline a lot more believable. He seemed similarly dubious about Cam's trusting nature and told her not to get in the car with him or not to fall in love with him.

I actually found myself switching off during parts of this book and yet I kept reading on to see if anything was actually going to happen. I thought the sex scenes were fabulous, they were steamy and tense but they weren't woven nicely into the story, it was as if the story had to stop so they could have sex and then it moved on with the road trip or with them trying to find some healthy food/greasy food a balance. I think there are much better erotic novels out there with a good storyline combined with good sex scenes. I think there are also way better new adult books out there if that's what's you are looking for. And if you are looking for a book where a girl fears her boyfriend might die when she's only just realised she loves him, then just read the Fault in Our stars...
on 3 February 2014
Sooo after finishing this book I decided to check out..raisins in my toast.Those of you who have read it will totally get what I am talking about and those of who haven't read this book..uhmm whatcha waiting for huh??
So yeah back to that silly song..What can I say I am a curious person ;)

After listening to it I was like..
OMG its friking stuck in my head and my family thinks I am going crazy *facepalm* Raiisssssiinnnnnnnsss...

What an brilliant book why oh why did I not read this sooner?! I have had it on my to-read list and the arc for ages and when I spotted the paperback I thought oh well why not, its got great reviews and I will definitely be reading it, I just didn't know when. Soo I finally got round to it and loved it (totally kicking myself for not reading it earlier)

“I hate to say it, but shit really does happen. You just have to get over it. Beat the hell out of it by doing things that make you happy.”

This book starts off and you meet twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett whose life isn't exactly great everything she planned gets ruined by circumstances and she is so sick of living the normal life.There is something missing in her life and she goes on a journey to find that missing piece.She decides to jump on a Greyhound bus with nothing but essential necessities and see where the road leads her.With no plan, no idea of what she wants to do..will this turn into a beautiful adventure or a beautiful disaster.

“I think that if past lives are real then we have been lovers in every single one of them. I've known you for a short time, but I feel like I've known you forever.”

On the bus she meets Andrew who is taking a long journey for a whole different reason.They are similar yet so different, both looking for an escape, both needing more in life and wanting to find the missing piece to make them feel complete.

When I started this book I was like hmm its a bit slow atm I really didn't like Camryn's friends no wonder she felt so low but as soon as you meet Andrew Boom! this is soo good! He makes everything better..can you tell that I am in love with Andrew? Where can I find one of him? Ahhh if only fictional characters could come to life!

'Never thought I’d intentionally sleep on a bathroom floor next to a toilet while sober, but I meant it when I said I would sleep anywhere with her.'

I fell in love with this book, I was on a journey I lived what they lived and I never wanted to return to reality.I read this book non stop I just had to carry on and read more even thought I never wanted it to finish.I laughed, I cried and I loved..
Andrew is so damn perfect and I loved how he challenged Camryn and the banter between these two was hilarious.Andrew wasn't exactly living the perfect life before and when he met Camryn but he never let it show, I loved his happy go lucky attitude. He seemed so positive and filled with life, I loved how deep he was, how he could make you think/look deeper into simple things you never would have noticed otherwise.

“Just because one person's problem is less traumatic than another's doesn't mean they're required to hurt less”

There came a part I was not expecting and my heart stopped! And I was like oh god please no no no! this can't be happening..say its not true! SAY IT!! I was just going through so many emotions I was sure I would explode!

By the end of this book I was soo sad that I finished it yet soo glad that I finally read and loved it.This is the second book I have read by J.A.Redmerski and I can say Bravo woman! you bloody rock and I will be reading more of your books!!
Soo..book 2 here I come ;)

*ARC provided via NetGalley for an honest review*
on 1 December 2013
Ok, so I had heard of this book a long time ago, but I was put off a little bit by the negative reviews. When it was promoted on Facebook on an offer price, I though "why not?". Well boy I'm glad I did!!!!
What a beautiful story. I'm not going to give anything away because you seriously need to read it. Camryn is literally on the road to nowhere to find herself after tragedy, heartbreak, betrayal and life generally screwing her over. What she doesn't bargain for is finding the other half of herself that she wasn't looking for, and didn't know existed, and doesn't realise until now that she can't live without.
It is a journey of self discovery, friendship, passion, and a love so true it trumps Romeo and Juliet!!
Obviously it isn't all going to be plain sailing, Andrew makes her see things in a way that she has always wanted to but never got the chance with the people around her, he pushes her to say what she really feels and stop hiding behind what people "expect" to feel and want out of life.
Andrew himself is on a road to nowhere in reality, although he does have a destination in mind, that's not really his story and we learn this half way through. I have to say, I knew what was coming at about 75%, but that didn't make it any easier to take!!
Overall, this story is absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking, passionate and definitely one I will remember and recommend. I laughed (quite a lot!) cried, and wanted to slap them both at some points! I am going to go and 1-click 'the edge of always' because I definitely need to read more of these 2! Especially with the very last part of the book being what it was. No cliffy, but I need to know where they go.

Sorry to ramble on, but.......read it, you absolutely won't regret it :)
on 13 September 2013
Camryn decides her life is boring, doing the same thing every day so she packs a bag and boards a bus to Idahoe. During her trip she meets Andrew Parrish who’s along for the ride, at least to Wyoming. They become close friends and go on an adventure together; Learning things along the way that surprises them both. On the road Camryn and Andrew realises they has deep feelings for each other but aren’t quite sure what they mean. What will the outcome be? Will they follow their dreams? Or will it end and go back to the way they were?
This book is completely, totally, freaking AMAZING!! I loved every second reading it! It just gets better and better as it goes, it’s so gripping i didn’t want to put it down. Even after finishing at 1AM i ended up staying awake til after 2AM just thinking about it, i was well too excited to sleep!
I love Redmerski’s writing style, it’s amazing how easily the story flows, it’s truly awesome! I’m so thankful i only have to wait until November 5th, 2013 for The Edge of Always to be Published! YAY!!
Andrew was a great character! i loved him straight away, the tatts may have had a slight influence but not much, he’d be HOT without them! He’s so passionate and bull-headed it’s cute! Even when he wants to do something he holds himself back because he doesn’t think it’s the right thing to do; He’s a complete gentleman. He even saves the day, preventing anything bad from happening to Camryn *Swoons*
The Ending totally blew me away, i wasn’t expecting it at all and felt like my heart was in my throat, i cried like a big baby but i’m not afraid to admit it because i’m sure a lot of people who read it will too.
If you love romance then i would definitely recommend you read ‘The Edge of Never’! It’s already been added to my favourite’s shelf