on 31 March 2000
This box set, released and distributed as Tolkien intended for the first time, is the best I have seen and owned. This TLOTR Milliennium Edition and the CD of JRR reciting his own writings is a real bonus for any collection. When I first read the advertisement on the Amazon Web Site, I thought the price would be astronomoical, but it is so cheap, every TLOTR fan should own this.
Rating (Out of 5 Stars): 7 at least !
on 25 October 2001
The best book I'v read in my whole life.A perfect balance of suspense and exitement what with the fierce Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the heroic deeds of Sam at the tower of Cirith Ungol.The first part tells how the Riders of Rohan come to the aid of Gondor in the defence against the ever growing Shadow of Mordor.It tells of a great battle between Good and Evil,Life and Death,Light and Dark.The second part tells the tale of Frodo and Sam and how they enter the Black Land and come face to face with the deadliest of enemies in their heroic attempt to destroy the Ruling Ring.It is my favourite book by my favourite author and I think it is well worth buying.It is the last part of The Lord Of The Rings where it reaches its awesome climax.It is well written and one of the best books you will ever read.
on 23 March 2014
At the age of 58 and a dyslexic I have completed my first set of proper books. Why did I not force myself to overcome my reading horrors years ago, only a dyslexic will understand this statement. I could not believe the places that I visited in my mind, Mr Tolkien thank you for helping me to overcome and carry on, what will be the next book, a new world to visit. These books were fantastic, I never got bored, or skipped pages, I loved these book's, if you want to lose yourselves in a different worlds this is the read for you.
on 12 February 2010
For those unaware of the relationship, this is the third part of the Lord of the Rings in a binding with a large fold out map. It was the binding I read first as a child, borrowing it continually from my local library, and so is the one I am most attched to. Many have seen the film, and may be unaware of quite how much the film left out of the book, so those who have seen the film and enjoyed it might appreciate the extra subtlety and detail provided by the book, as well whole events not even alluded to in the film. It really does tie up all the ends. The great romantic epic of evil overthrown is described fully. Tolkiens poetic narrative stlye is hinted at in the film, but looks at times slightly camp, whereas in the book it seeems much more natural and consistent. Some of the most dramatic moments and the most poignant are filmed, but are hard to really understand alone and out of context. In the book, that context is provided. The conclusion is much more satisfactory and meaningful. A landmark in literature.
on 23 September 2003
After seeing my girlfriend struggle (as she is dyslexic) through the first two books of the trilogy i thought i would give her a break and buy this for her so she could enjoy the final part of this classic fantasy book. It was great, she was able to get through the book and enjoy it at the same time especially as it kept to the book and was not a dramatization like other copies, meaning she felt as though she had the same experience as the rest of us. Rob Inglis narrates clearly and at a good speed. also suitable for younger readers.
on 4 March 2000
The Lord Of The Rings is, I think, the greatest literary achievement of the century. You have to wonder when you have finished reading it how literature after LOTR would have been without it and what we would not be enjoying today. The world that Tolkien creates comes complete with exciting cultures and fantastic races, a complete system of religion and laws, subtle magic is abound that you more feel while reading than read about it directly. A completely overwhelming achievement. I read it only once, slowly, a little every day over the course of a whole summer - like a reward for living - and when I had read the final page I actually had to think what the heck to do now. I didn't need to read it again, I knew EXACTLY what was in it! It's more of an experience than anything else.
on 9 June 2010
For those readers interested I thought I would point out, that these books are much easier to read the reissue The Return of the King: Return of the King Vol 3 (Lord of the Rings). This book is larger yes but not much heavier and is easier to hold, while the text is more spread out, rather then close together on the pages. I know this is not much of a review but Im hoping It might help people decide which version to get. I have both version of the Trilogy and I have to say there is not that much differance in the text. And to the collectors out there I would say buy both Trilogy Editions, they are cheaper now and both have a different art style cover. Who would'nt want more of Tolkiens World!
on 18 July 2014
I first read these books about a year before the first movie came out. I loved them! The movies came out and changed cinema forever. They were epic in their scale and as faithful to the books as it was possible to be. As a result, Since then whenever lord of the rings has been discussed, it is the world created by Peter Jackson that is the focus and that is fine; it's a great world. Jackson, took the story that was said to be un-filmable and brought Tolkiens world to an amazed generation that may not have otherwise discovered the tale.
I recently re-read the trilogy and while the movies are an excellent guide to Tolkiens world, they are only a pale shadow to the books. The writing in these books is superb, the journeys of the members of the fellowship far more perilous than I remembered and Tolkiens mastery of the English language is used to full effect.
The depth of the world of middle earth is stunning. From the histories of each of the races there, to the languages that are fully formed and linguisticly beautiful or harsh depending on the race they belong to.
The first time I read the books I skipped past the songs and poems that litter the trilogy, but, this time I read them and they were another jewel of the tale.
Unforgettable characters that permeate the world we live in, and an unforgettable story.
I don't think any author of this genre has ever matched this trilogy for it's literary achievement. The only downside for me is that they are not long enough.
If you've never read The Lord of the rings, then I cannot recommend them highly enough; and if you have read them in the past, you would almost definately enjoy another trip with the fellowship.
Probably the finest fantasy tale, ever!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2012
In this final part of the trilogy the fate of the ring is conclusively decided - but the story doesn't end yet. Split into two parts, this final book follows the wars of men in Gondor and Rohan as Sauron finally releases his full might. The second part traces the journey of Sam and Frodo to their destination. Unlike the film which wraps things up in a rather hurried and less complex way, the book doesn't end here but follows the fates of our characters in the aftermath of the struggle - and back to the Shire.

Tolkein's writing style noticeably changes in this book taking on a more self-consciously `epic' tone but it feels fitting given the grave nature of events. I love the way the book doesn't offer a simple happy ever after ending, as events are shown to have an incalculable and lasting effect - and the end of the book feels exactly right, memorialising all that has gone before.

It's worth checking that the edition you get includes Tolkein's appendices in which he traces the past history which is referred to in this trilogy and explains the mythology of the Eldars, Numenor, the line of kings, the history of the First and Second Ages and so on, all of which add a richness to the story.

This is a magnificent epic which crosses ancient Norse and Saxon chronicles (e.g. the The Nibelungenlied, and The Saga of the Volsungs: The Norse Epic of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer) with a modern eye on totalitarian war - Tolkein wrote this between about 1936-1942 having witnessed the Spanish Civil War and the rise of European Fascism.

Highly recommended.
on 8 September 2012
As the last volume of the trilogy, the reader gets an end to the story, and in fact "The Return of the King" has several places where one could end, but for those who want to continue on past the end of Sauron, past the end of the War, etc., the story continues to the end of the Third Age. "The Return of the King" was originally published on October 20th of 1955. "The Lord of the Rings" was the last recipient of the International Fantasy Award for Fiction in 1957, it was also nominated for the Hugo for all-time series in 1966, and was nominated from 2002 through 2008 for the Prometheus Hall of Fame award, before winning it in 2009. As with the previous two volumes, this one contains two books.

Book V is titled "The War of the Ring" and it returns to the story of all those outside of the Ring Bearers. It starts with Gandalf and Pippin arriving at Minas Tirith to deliver the news to Denethor and takes us to the start of the battle in front of the Black Gate of Mordor. This book tells the story of a large number of characters. Only the ring-bearers are absent as characters, though they are certainly in the thoughts of those who fight the war.

Book VI is titled "The End of the Third Age", though it has also been called "The Return of the King" and similar to Book IV it is starts out focused on Frodo and Sam, with the specter of Gollum tagging along. Starting with Sam's daring rescue of Frodo, it continues with the two trying to make their way to Mount Doom. However, the changes less than a third of the way through the book, when their quest comes to an end, and the rest of the book involves all the characters again. Unlike many modern books and movies, the action doesn't end with the climax, and Tolkien takes his time telling the story of the aftermath of the war.

As with the previous books in the series when compared with the movie I personally prefer the book, though I have enjoyed the all the movies as well. However long the movies are, they are but condensed versions of the books, and if left unread, you will miss out on many significant characters and events, as well as be unaware of the changes made by those creating the movies from what was written originally. The movies were a valiant effort to bring this epic to the screen, and they honor Tolkien's overall story, but to fully appreciate what Tolkien created, you need to read the books.