4.0 out of 5 stars Like the concept
Published 1 month ago by daoldcoach

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a little basic for experienced vegetarian cooks
yes, she suggests some interesting combinations, but if you have been cooking vegetarian for some time (in my case 25+ years) you'll find some of the recipes rather obvious and a bit basic. For example scrambled eggs with herbs and avocado on toast (with toppings)
However there are some ingredients here that I have never heard of before such as maca and lucuma which...
Published 17 days ago by la vorsoise

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the concept, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
As a lifelong vegetarian I agree with the sentiment and goals of this book. The recipes and flavours are unique and refreshing. I think the comment about some of the ingredients is fair, they are hard to come by. I guess vegetarians have made that commitment to eat differently and as such, unfortunately (for now at least) this requires more effort to seek out these weird things. Judging by the recipes I say it is worth the effort.

What also appeals to me is the style and approach of the book. It doesn't fall into that hippy, eco stuff. It is modern and contemporary, just like the one in ten of us in the UK that don't eat meat, are no longer 'good life' stereotypes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Beautiful Book, 4 July 2014
Having read an article in the Guardian I just had to buy this book. The day after it arrived I made the sweet potato enchiladas for brunch for the family - they went down a storm. I didn't have any maple syrup so used jaggery instead and it worked very well. I've also made the Muhammara (roasted red pepper and walnut dip) twice - normal sized recipe for home and very large quantity for 130 to accompany a spinach filo pie. Both times I used jarred roasted red peppers but would like to try it with fresh roasted peppers. Have also made the dosa spiced potato cakes - but as part of a main meal. I didn't have any curry leaves so put some cardamom in instead and they were gorgeous.
The recipes are beautifully photographed and straight forward to make. And it is such an inspirational book - I've only had it a week but it is one of my favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE, DELICIOUS and MOTIVATING, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
This book is a revelation. So simple, so tasty, so wide ranging. And you can feel the mission that Anna Jones is on to spread the word about something that's deeply important to her, something that she has to share with the world from her heart. You can feel it in the pictures, the recipes and the writing. Thank you Anna Jones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh, modern cookbook, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
A seriously beautiful modern cookbook. I preordered this, now what feels like ages ago. I haven't fell in love with a cookbook like this in a long time. I'm not a vegetarian but I want to eat more vegetable based meals and this is just the perfect book to get me started. It's so good to see a range of incredible recipes, including some that don't take much of your time or need many ingredients.
I'm in love with the food photography as well! And as much as I can't wait to get cooking from it - those salted caramel brownies are at the top of my list!
Highly recommended cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vegi cook book, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
Love this book.saw an article and thought she sounded cool and recipes sounded good and simple. Got book for my birthday and just love it. It's fresh and exciting, love the way it's laid out. Made the eggs benedict and the roast feta and have tagged loads of others to try. Can't recommend enough

5.0 out of 5 stars love love love, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
I'm not veggie, but I've decided I love this book. Tested out two of the recipes last night (the lentils and roast beetroot with salsa verde and the roasted kale and cherry tomato salad with the gorgeous tahini/chilli/honey/coconut oil dressing - couldn't find miso paste but it tasted great just the same even if it looked a bit weird), on my boyfriend and my brother, both staunch meat-eaters, and not only did I think they were both delicious, but brother and bf were full of compliments, completely cleared their plates and went back for seconds. I have a few of the recently published vegetarian cookbooks and this one has by far the most accessible ingredients, and, as other reviewers have mentioned, Anna does suggest substitutes for when your local supermarket doesn't stock a certain item, as well as encouraging you to adapt the recipe to your own personal tastes. Have the eBook at the mo for portability purposes (great for pretending you're a naturally gifted cook who doesn't need recipes when cooking for bf's parents, for instance), but think I'll probably buy the hardback too... Also refreshingly un-self-satisfied - rare for a cookbook of this type aimed squarely at the Guardian-reading classes (which is no bad thing btw!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and delicious, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
Such a brilliant book, I'm vegan and bored of either over health conscious books or recipes that aren't considered. The flavours and textures in these recipes are very much considered. Although not a strict vegan book it has vegan options for most of the recipes and always has options to be gluten free if needed. They are recipes for people that still love to eat and cook but just choice to avoid animal products. It's perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's what it says in the title., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
Brilliant! The recipes work even though some sound unusual. I often find that recipes in other books need quite a bit if tweaking but these seem to work as described. Delicious, especially if you like spicy food. V do-able with ingredients that you'll find from a good supermarket.

Definitely a good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars but I love that it's also all created so it's ready within ..., 7 July 2014
Nancy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I usually turn down the corners on the pages of recipes I plan to try but I had to stop halfway through browsing as I want to make them ALL. So far I've only made the huevos rancheros and the kale and black sesame sushi bowl, but I know that's just the start. Everything here feels fresh and light and inventive, but I love that it's also all created so it's ready within 30 minutes, and with minimal washing up. Can already tell this is going to be one of the most-used recipe books in my kitchen, next to Ottolenghi's Plenty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful tasty food., 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
I am so glad I ordered this recipe book after seeing an article in the Guardian and trying out The Turkish Fried Eggs and the Really Hungry Burger. Both dishes were delicious and a big hit with my husband. I have also tried the Popcorn Tacos to accompany our new favourite summer time drink Blood orange and agave margaritas (ordinary oranges work just as well). The 'Any night of the week pizza' is just brilliant! Who'd have thought of using cauliflower as a base. It is gorgeous and crunchy and satisfying. I had some left over and, encouraged by the author Anna Jones who suggests different ways of using up extra sauces and varying the recipes, I topped it with a poached egg for lunch. Yuummmie! Just of the thought of it makes me want to eat it again, right now! The recipes in this book are so different from anything I have ever tried before. Innovative and so tasty and such a refreshing change to use vegetables, herbs and grains in such an unusual way. I have loved every recipe so far. Well done Anna and thank you so much for producing such a wonderful keep-sake recipe book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Modern Way to Eat
A Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones (Hardcover - 19 Jun 2014)
17.00