5.0 out of 5 stars The Day the Crayons Quit
Published 9 months ago by S Riaz

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Although I liked the illustrations I was less pleased with the narrative. The conversations went on for too long and became boring. The yellow crayons words were difficult to read against the white background. Surprised this has been well reviewed in the press. I used this to base my choice on my purchase but regret it.
Published 10 months ago by Mrs B Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars The Day the Crayons Quit, 12 Jan 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
One day, Duncan went to take out his crayons and he found a stack of letters with his name on them. They have been written by his crayons and each page has a letter, plus a picture drawn by the appropriate coloured crayon. Beige is tired of being called "light brown" and only used for wheat, grey is tired of colouring in such large creatures as elephants and humpback whales and black is tired of only being used for the outline of things.... What can Duncan do to create harmony in the crayon box?

I think the humour in this book means that it will appeal to a slightly older picture book audience - I have found it ideal to read aloud to a Reception class and it would be enjoyed by any child from approx 4 - 8. In that way, it reminds me of Man on the Moon for a sense of ironic humour which will be enjoyed by children of a slightly older age then the usual picture book target audience. Great to read aloud and may well become a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
This book is a treasure for children and adults alike, its funny and well thought out The best childrens book I have bought for my granddaughter in a while. Both her mother and grandmother enjoy reading it in funny voices and making each other laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
Bought for my granddaughter, aged 5. She loved the title and the illustrations and it has a happy ending!
A very original tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book that both my kids love., 8 Sep 2013
Gorgeous! This is lovely imaginative writing with illustrations that perfectly accompany it. Oliver Jeffers...can't go wrong. We all love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A positive, original touch to motivate creativity!, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
"The day the crayons quit" is original in quite a lot of ways. Initially I thought that the hand-written narrative would be difficult for my grandson of 6 to read by himself. I was wrong. He totally identified with the handwriting and was truly inspired by the idea of using different colours to demonstrate his own imagination. A lovely, encouraging, positive book with which a child can identify.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and enjoyable fun., 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
This book is so different but great fun. You can just imagine if a crayon of a particular colour could talk that it would say these words. Lovely letters from each of them and they give inspiration on how to use a particular colour crayon. Have not given it to my granddaughter yet as it is for her birthday in a couple of month's time but just know she will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
A really original story with fantastic illustrations. I bought this for my nephew who is 6 and he is really enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 3 Sep 2014
I had originally bought this book for my niece although if we are being totally honest here, I bought it for myself :D. I had seen this book out last year in hardback and it sounded really good, but kinda fell off my radar until the paperback release this year when I thought right I'm going to buy it.

The idea of this story is so simple and yet so brilliant. Duncan's crayons have decided that they have had enough, so they each write him a letter explaining why. Each of the letters didn't fail to make me laugh, especially the one from peach crayon. I definitely think this is a story for children and adults alike as there is some humour in here to make it fun for adults to read to their children.

Hands down, Oliver Jeffers is my all time favourite illustrator and he really makes this book amazing. I think it is the expressions that he draws on each of the crayons faces that make this story even more funny and I just love looking at them.

Although my niece is still too young to read at the moment, she loved me reading it to her and kept pointing at all the wonderful pictures. This is definitely a book that will stay in the family a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars What fun !, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
I can't wait to read this to my 4 year old grand daughter at Christmas. It is such fun I think it will appeal to all ages

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Entertaining, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Day The Crayons Quit (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 7 year old granddaughter. It's funny and brilliantly illustrated and adults will
enjoy reading it to children. Highly recommended

The Day The Crayons Quit
The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2013)