Format: Hardcover|Change

When I hear the name Judith Kerr I am transported back to my childhood and some of my favourite books - 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea' and 'Mog the Forgetful Cat' are two of my childhood favourites and, now for my own children both at home and in work - 'The Great Granny Gang' and 'My Henry'.

This book is a celebration of Judith Kerr's work - both that as an illustrator and as an author - and although there are autobiographical qualities to this book, it is also a fascinating book on the appreciation of art. It also is a true account of how Kerr's artwork and illustrations progress from first sketch to final piece. There are pages from some of her books as well as examples of pages that start from a sketch and progress to the finished page.

This is a book which, although priced at £25, is a beautiful addition to any bookcase and is well worth the price. A book which can be enjoyed by adults, reminiscing about their childhood favourite books, and also look through with their children talking about the different characters from all of Kerr's books.

I recommend this book to anyone who admires and has enjoyed Judith Kerr's work, whether young or old. I would also recommend it as a great book for appreciators of children's literature or for anyone studying the writing of children's stories or the social history of a childhood spent in Berlin, and their subsequent fleeing from the Nazi Party. It is very informative and gives a good insight into Kerr's life.
on 12 July 2013
Illustration students should almost certainly look at this book, if not own it. It has so much of Judith's process inside, which is a fascinating look into the mechanics of picture book construction - from the seed of an idea (where do they come from?...Judith effortlessly shares her source of ideas) - to the technicalities of character drawings. There really is so much that is useful in here, for anyone who is interested in or embarking on their own career in illustration.

Judith's personal life is just as fascinating and it heartens the reader to know the struggles from whence she came - a real life triumph of good over evil - Judith dedicates her book to all of the Jewish children who were 'not as lucky as I was' - how lucky we all are that she was one of the holocaust survivors, for she has brought much joy to so many with her wonderful characters.

Well worth the money.
on 14 August 2013
A moving account of an extraordinary life with fascinating early drawings. Tells us a great deal about the woman behind Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and The Tiger who came to tea. An important autobiography with a difference.
on 7 February 2014
This is the best Auto-Biography EVER. What a totally gorgeous book.

I love the beautiful illustrations, its full of beautiful full colour pictures throughout.

One of the first books I can remember reading was ' Mog the Forgetful Cat', and it's still a firm favourite. I also enjoyed 'The Tiger Who Came To Tea', but it was a long time before I got the connection that this was same Author who wrote, 'Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit'.

This auto-biograpghy is brilliant, as it shows Judith's work, from her earliest drawings, to her latest work, shows how she developed as an artist, and how and what she learnt. It also tells about different projects she has worked on, such as textiles, when she first started out, and she worked in Television, when it first started, which I didn't know, and how she got on the path of being an illustrator and Children's Author.

The book is full of the most fascintating and beautiful drawings and artwork in full colour, its a feast for the eyes, as well as a really enjoyable read. I loved this book, and will definitely read it again.
on 28 June 2013
This book is probably a landmark publication. Beautifully produced. A definitive book coinciding with Judith Kerr's 90th birthday, 14 June.
on 6 March 2015
Such a wonderful book! I was interested in it mainly for the illustrations as I admire Judith Kerr's style but was very pleasantly suprised to find an engaging and easy to read autobiography, following her life and her developing interest and skills in art from her childhood as a refugee and on through adulthood and family life. I especially liked the reproduction of early drawings, ideas and storyboards for her books such as The Tiger Who Came to Tea and others, plus anecdotes about her real life cats that inspired the adventures of Mog in a whole series of books. Having the complete Tiger book printed inside was a real treat too, I'm too old to have read any of these and don't have children so it was like a little slice of someone else's childhood across the pages. This is a real treasure of a book, and would make a lovely gift. My mum enjoyed having me read various parts aloud - and reading the Tiger story to her also, we're all young at heart it seems!
on 23 February 2014
Bought this for my friends birthday. We both have fond memories of reading Mog stories and others to our children. Now we are reading them to our grandchildren. Lovely to read about Judith and how the stories and illustrations were developed. My friends grandson is keen on drawing also enjoyed this book.

Prompt delivery.
on 6 November 2013
Her life and work are beautifully presented. I'm sure that this book is a great inspiration for writers and illustrators.
on 18 December 2014
Kerr's (pronounced Carr's) publishers have done her proud. If only Kathleen Hale could have received the same treatment! Too niche? Or maybe there were copyright difficulties. Partly because of the simplified vocabulary she adopted, taking the somewhat dumbed-down Theodor Seuss Geisel as her model, and partly because of her rather Mr Benn-like drawing style* (that very untigerlike tiger, who's fully as bulbous as Comical Mog the Unfit House-cat!), Kerr's is the lesser talent, but she holds a place in many a heart. A sprightly 90 at publication (Orlando's progenitor was older when she wrote her own memoir, and sailed statelily on to 102) Kerr deserved this celebratory wallow - though I suspect not too many will read all the words

* though she doesn't have the cloying quality of Helen Oxenbury, another stalwart whom I love, BUT..
on 2 May 2014
I came across this book whilst getting more Mog books for my daughter (her favourites) and I read the intro and thought her life sounds interesting, and it is! She tells how she escaped Germany and fled to Paris then on to England giving insights to what it must have been like for a refugee in war time - a different view from all my history lessons at school. She also talks about how she came to write the Mog series and gives little stories of her own cats that she made into a Mog book. It was a joy to read. Well worth every penny. BTW this book is big, I originally bought it for a holiday read but its a heavy A4 hardback!