5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful celebration of Judith Kerr's lifetime work
When I hear the name Judith Kerr I am transported back to my childhood and some of my favourite books - 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea' and 'Mog the Forgetful Cat' are two of my childhood favourites and, now for my own children both at home and in work - 'The Great Granny Gang' and 'My Henry'.

This book is a celebration of Judith Kerr's work - both that as an...
Published 18 months ago by S. A. Broadhurst

1.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book spoiled
The book is amazing, such a wonderful illustrated life story; having heard Judith Kerr speak about it at Hay I knew what to expect and was not disappointed, what an amazing story, but sadly the dust cover had a long cut through it, so I was not able to give it as a gift as I had intended.
Published 17 months ago by Sue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful celebration of Judith Kerr's lifetime work, 11 Jun 2013
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Judith Kerr's Creatures: A Celebration of the Life and Work of Judith Kerr (Hardcover)

This book is a celebration of Judith Kerr's work - both that as an illustrator and as an author - and although there are autobiographical qualities to this book, it is also a fascinating book on the appreciation of art. It also is a true account of how Kerr's artwork and illustrations progress from first sketch to final piece. There are pages from some of her books as well as examples of pages that start from a sketch and progress to the finished page.

This is a book which, although priced at £25, is a beautiful addition to any bookcase and is well worth the price. A book which can be enjoyed by adults, reminiscing about their childhood favourite books, and also look through with their children talking about the different characters from all of Kerr's books.

I recommend this book to anyone who admires and has enjoyed Judith Kerr's work, whether young or old. I would also recommend it as a great book for appreciators of children's literature or for anyone studying the writing of children's stories or the social history of a childhood spent in Berlin, and their subsequent fleeing from the Nazi Party. It is very informative and gives a good insight into Kerr's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful teaching tool as well as being a beautiful book, 12 July 2013
Illustration students should almost certainly look at this book, if not own it. It has so much of Judith's process inside, which is a fascinating look into the mechanics of picture book construction - from the seed of an idea (where do they come from?...Judith effortlessly shares her source of ideas) - to the technicalities of character drawings. There really is so much that is useful in here, for anyone who is interested in or embarking on their own career in illustration.

Judith's personal life is just as fascinating and it heartens the reader to know the struggles from whence she came - a real life triumph of good over evil - Judith dedicates her book to all of the Jewish children who were 'not as lucky as I was' - how lucky we all are that she was one of the holocaust survivors, for she has brought much joy to so many with her wonderful characters.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of a remarkable life, 14 Aug 2013
A moving account of an extraordinary life with fascinating early drawings. Tells us a great deal about the woman behind Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and The Tiger who came to tea. An important autobiography with a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collectable book, 28 Jun 2013
This book is probably a landmark publication. Beautifully produced. A definitive book coinciding with Judith Kerr's 90th birthday, 14 June.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have pencil....will draw, 7 Feb 2014
This is the best Auto-Biography EVER. What a totally gorgeous book.

I love the beautiful illustrations, its full of beautiful full colour pictures throughout.

One of the first books I can remember reading was ' Mog the Forgetful Cat', and it's still a firm favourite. I also enjoyed 'The Tiger Who Came To Tea', but it was a long time before I got the connection that this was same Author who wrote, 'Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit'.

This auto-biograpghy is brilliant, as it shows Judith's work, from her earliest drawings, to her latest work, shows how she developed as an artist, and how and what she learnt. It also tells about different projects she has worked on, such as textiles, when she first started out, and she worked in Television, when it first started, which I didn't know, and how she got on the path of being an illustrator and Children's Author.

The book is full of the most fascintating and beautiful drawings and artwork in full colour, its a feast for the eyes, as well as a really enjoyable read. I loved this book, and will definitely read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book., 6 Nov 2013
Her life and work are beautifully presented. I'm sure that this book is a great inspiration for writers and illustrators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 23 Feb 2014
Bought this for my friends birthday. We both have fond memories of reading Mog stories and others to our children. Now we are reading them to our grandchildren. Lovely to read about Judith and how the stories and illustrations were developed. My friends grandson is keen on drawing also enjoyed this book.

Prompt delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars books, 2 Jan 2014
tooks have been very satisfactory. I knew

all the books have been very satisfactory. I knew what I was ordering and the order arrived on time and correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely lovely book!, 2 May 2014
I came across this book whilst getting more Mog books for my daughter (her favourites) and I read the intro and thought her life sounds interesting, and it is! She tells how she escaped Germany and fled to Paris then on to England giving insights to what it must have been like for a refugee in war time - a different view from all my history lessons at school. She also talks about how she came to write the Mog series and gives little stories of her own cats that she made into a Mog book. It was a joy to read. Well worth every penny. BTW this book is big, I originally bought it for a holiday read but its a heavy A4 hardback!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judith Kerr, 27 Jan 2014
Mr. Dennis Coppel "D. L. Coppel" (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
lovely combination of narrative and illustration. perfect for adults and children. I really loved the cat stories.Her husbands involvement must have been a great joy to Judith.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›