5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy and the Crawler
Published 11 months ago by AndyT

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak but Fun
Review

This series is and has always been the weakest of the Krondor based books.

BUT

Published 21 months ago by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak but Fun, 3 Mar 2013
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Review

This series is and has always been the weakest of the Krondor based books.

BUT

I loved it; There is and has always been something about Jimmy the Hand that worked for me. He is the one of those great characters in fantasy fiction. Yes he is too damn good, too fast, too lucky, too heroic etc. But he is fun. He is the type of escapism character we all want to be, and takes you so far away from the hum drum real world.

The book slots in between many of the other tales, and i found myself wracking my memory for which not to which person or place fitted in which book. This annoys some but makes me want to read the other books again. (i probably will after the release of Magicians end is published.

The finest Feist series is still the Empire series:

Riftwar : The World On the Other Side
1. Daughter of the Empire (1987) (with Janny Wurts)
2. Servant of the Empire (1989) (with Janny Wurts)
3. Mistress of the Empire (1989) (with Janny Wurts)
The Empire Series 3-book Bundle (omnibus) (2013)

but the most fun is:

Riftwar
1. Magician: Apprentice (1982)
2. Magician: Master (1982)
3. Silverthorn (1985)
4. A Darkness at Sethanon (1985)
5. Prince of the Blood (1989)
6. The King's Buccaneer (1989)

Riftwar : Serpentwar

1. Shadow of a Dark Queen (1994)
2. Rise of a Merchant Prince (1995)
3. Rage of a Demon King (1995)
4. Shards of a Broken Crown (1998)

10 books of such sweeping action, imagination and escapism that it ranks up there as one of my all time fav fantasy series.

The 2 series that Jimmy the crawler belongs too started life as script for computer games, and while the weakest of all his books, can often be some of the fun ones, a closer look at amusing character like Jimmy

Riftwar : Legacy

1. The Betrayal: Krondor (1998)
2. The Assassins: Krondor (1999)
3. Tear of the gods: Krondor (1999)
4. Jimmy and the Crawler (2013)

Legends of the Riftwar

1. Honoured Enemy (2001) (with William R Forstchen)
2. Murder in Lamut (2002) (with Joel Rosenberg)
3. Jimmy the Hand (2003) (with S M Stirling)

So if you are a fan of Feist you don't need me to tell you to buy this book, but if you have never read his work, it's a fantastic little novella that shows how well the man writes, and gives you a flash of fun and adventure from one of his finest characters.

Oh and the book its self, beautiful cover, a really fine satin finish to the art work.

For the detractors: £9 for a book that takes several hours to read, and leaves you thinking about for longer, that makes to re-live the great books of the series and maybe even re-read the whole series end to end. Compare that to £8 for a 90 min film at the cinema and the fact you will probably leave and forget the plot within 20 mins because the avergae film from hollywood is some mindless pointless comedy. Yet people go back and back for them without complaint, but think that the effort and time and imagination that went into a book, even a novella like this "isnt worth £9". tell me what else you can do for £9 that lasts on its own for hours and can inspire and entertain in the same way?

Recommended

(Parm)

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite Disappointing!, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) (Hardcover)
I was quite looking forward to reading this book as I really enjoyed the original "Krondor" books.

That being said I was quite gutted when I actually received the book. It totally wasn't worth the price I paid.

Don't get me wrong Feist's usual writing style engages you right from the start but by the time you're actually into the book it finishes. It's very anti climactic but does answer some questions left open by other books.

It would have been easier to have had this as an appendix to "Magician's End".

I'd recommend that anyone considering buying this book wait for the paper back as the price isn't worth it and I most definitely wouldn't pay the RRP in the shops. Daylight Robbery!

1.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy and the Crawler, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Feist since I was a teenager and I have always enjoyed his work however this has to be the worst book that he has ever written. No plot, no real story and the character development was pretty appalling. Don't buy the book and save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Riftwar Cycle Book, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) (Hardcover)
Since 2008 when I picked up The King's Buccaneer I have read (and own) every Riftwar Cycle book minus Murder in LaMut.

Others have touched on this already but I would like to add my weight that the quality of the books have declined since Serpent Wars (written order). The low point is derivative-fest At the Gates of Darkness (The Demonwar Saga). The final series has improved.

This book concludes the weakest series Riftwar Legacy. The Crawler story line was always a gap, along with what happened to Jazhera. This story - originally planned as two books has been delayed due to rights issue as this series is based on the computer games. However the conclusion was derivative and weak and felt like a wrap up for wrap up sake. The early book was OK, and I agree with other comments it felt like it has been written a while ago, and finished off recently.

The first half the book is the only reason this gets more than one star. This book is fighting with At the Gate of Darkness as the worst book in the Cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy and the Crawler, 26 Dec 2013
I have read all of Feist`s books so when this story became available I just had to buy it. It is full of the usual characters, fun and intrigue that you would expect from this brilliant writer. It is not long into the story before the reader finds themselves fully immersed into a wonderful story that will have you begging for more. This small insight into the life of Jimmy gives so much meaning and understanding on a much loved character who is prominent in so many of the other stories. A great read that once started is difficult to put down. Thank you Raymond for enthralling me once again, got anymore being published?

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) (Hardcover)
Like others I was looking forward to this when I read it was to be published as I always felt there was a chunk missing from the crawler story line. I was looking for completion to it and this book gives it....... badly. Thats being kind, very.
It starts off fine. Nice pace, but I had the "oh oh" sense that 144 pages could not be a good sign. I was right. You can read this start to finish in about 2 hours. Obviously the quality of a book should never be measured in its length but in this case is a fair indication.
How it reads to me RF had the start of the book penned a good few years ago and decided a few months back to finish it...overnight. Its almost as if 80% of the way through a door slams shut and the story line and effort goes to the 4 winds.
Sorry, its poor, poor, poor. It will tell you what happened to Jazhara and with the crawler situation but I think many will feel cheated and disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) (Hardcover)
I am disgusted to say that this book was a joke, i have bought every book by Raymond but the last few have been just terrible and this attempt sinks it to a whole new low.

One word to explain this is POOR.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 28 Feb 2013
As a massive fan of Raymond's earlier work I was incredibly excited about this book. The book was poorly written, the story was incredibly weak. Just when I expected the plot to jump to a side story or another set of characters... the book ends. This book really feels like it was written in a coffee shop on the back of a napkin. I hate to give such negative critique to my favorite author but this was really a poor release.

I really hope the new book isn't so weak.

2.0 out of 5 stars too short and too expensive, 3 Mar 2013
not a bad story but very short and not very good value for money,at least with the likes of terry brookes short stories you only pay a couple of quid for them not £9.99 the same as you would pay for a full novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Another magical gift, 7 Jun 2014
A. Cartwright (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Raymond E Feist has written another great adventure for Jimmy the hand. I only wish it had been longer as I love reading about jimmys and his friends adventures. I hope to read more of jimmys early years as he rises in rank.

Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition)
Jimmy and the Crawler (Novella Edition) by Raymond E. Feist (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2013)
Out of stock