5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics
Published on 17 Nov 2000 by Wayne Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, Average Quality Edition
I bought this box set but always felt I wanted the illustrated set, so I bought that as well!

This set is printed on yellowy paper with very small print (too small in my opinion).

The illustrated set has better quality paper (whiter) and more pages (bigger print).

My advice is buy the illustrated set and pay the extra 10 quid. Well worth...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by J. Ritchie

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics, 17 Nov 2000
Wayne Robinson (New Lambton, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
The effect of these books upon the reader is unique. Certainly the only books I have ever read that draw me back to re-read them again and again. They are more than just literature, they are priceless works of art. The gift of a brilliant writer possessed of an imagination that has no parallel in the history of literature to a world finding itself sadly bereft of tales of beauty and of wonder.
Drawing upon Tolkien's ancient histories and legends of Middle-earth, these tales tell of The War of the Ring and the events leading to the end of the Third Age. Tales that will bring unimaginable vistas vividly before your eyes and characters that will haunt your imagination for the rest of your life.
You simply must read these books--and what better editions? These are superbly illustrated with water-colour paintings by Alan Lee. Mr Lee is one of the conceptual artists currently assisting Peter Jackson bring The Lord of the Rings to the big screen in New Zealand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly presented and beautifully illustrated, 31 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book set for my grandsons as an introduction to Tolkien. The typeface is clear, the paper good quality and the illustrations are mystical. My grandsons love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, not so great publication, 22 Dec 2005
s_l_clay - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Obviously, I don't need to blather on about how amazing the LOTR is or how much of a genius Tolkien is... there are many reviews that have already done that. Instead, I would like to comment on the actual edition of this book set - something I think will be a little more helpful to those of you deciding which set of LOTR books to buy.
Advantages of this edition are:
1. This 4-book paperback set includes "The Hobbit", which is a must-read before starting the LOTR trilogy.
2. I would describe the paper as "normal" paperback quality.
3. The presentation box is nice and sturdy.
4. The cover artwork (though not from the film) is really nice.
However, there is ONE major disadvantage of this edition:
1. THE TYPSET. The typset of "The Hobbit" is great - nicely spaced and easy to read, but don't let that fool you... The publisher has made the decision to make each of the 4 books in this set the same size (I assume for aesthetic purposes). Therefore, as each book of the trilogy is much longer than "The Hobbit", the typset for each of these 3 books is very small and very close together. Make sure you have a good pair of spectacles and/or a very well lit room and you'll be fine!
All in all a good price for a box set of 4 books. However, if you're looking for paperbacks that will get worn after re-reading many times, I would suggest purchasing the books individually in a more "eye-friendly" edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, currently in the hobbit., 10 Aug 2012
I bought these books after watching the Lord of The Rings films, so, they arrived very quickly, although I picked super saver delivery. I was slightly reluctant, when they arrived, as I heard they are slightly hard to read, and that they have slightly different language from then today, as I am only 13, I am 1/3 through the hobbit, which fantastic, the travelling parts, can get a little bit boring, but the suspense, and wanting to read more at the action bits, make up for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tolkien has created a world with an amazing flora and fauna, encased a beautiful narrative., 7 Oct 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I got this handsome set for my eldest nephew, as other reviewers have commented this is good way to introduce anyone to Tolkien's work; they are nicely bound with really classic pictorials. Like other reviewers have remarked the narrative is unique and I have never tired from re-reading this epic narrative every year, since I first read the saga. Every re-reading has been a joyful experience, and I have come away learning something new on each occasion. You can really feel the magic of Tolkien's' word on the page. This is a unique literary fantasy, borne out his affection for Anglo-Saxon folklore and heritage. I hope that my nephew has the same experience. I also got him to use a dictionary along with his reading, as some of the language, or shall we say word usage is not as common these days. So far he has really enjoyed the read and the magical world that Tolkien created.

My nephew gives this a full 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Dec 2014
The book needs no introduction or endorsement from me and these unabridged readings of Tolkien by Rob Inglis are perhaps the greatest advert for audiobooks. His performance of the many character voices and songs perfectly matches the words and tone of the books. The recordings date back some 25 years, well before the hype of the movies and the modern audiobook boom. They take even longer than the movies to listen to (The Hobbit alone is 10 CDs) but it's time well invested.

Inglis'voice is warm, the pace perfect to keep up with the odd names and married to the text the overall effect is to draw you in. I listened in the car, but I imagine a quiet room with a comfy chair by a fire with a big book of Middle Earth maps and drawings on your lap would make for a deeply satisfying multimedia experience. All you'd need is a regular supply of tea, fruit cake and mince pies for sustenance.

I'd listened to The Lord of The Rings a dozen or so years ago but somehow never The Hobbit until now. What a corking take, action from the off and a pace that belies the age of the original text (mid 1930s). Being familiar with the characters and world from LOTR may colour my judgement, but I felt I could tell this was the lighter, more accessible book, which is to say the one aimed at children, albeit the patient, literate children from almost 100 years ago who had attention spans vastly in excess of today's breed of smartphone wielding ADHD fidgets. In fact, part of the attraction of these books is the whole idea of shorts and pullover wearing children sitting quietly while being read to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic box set, 31 Oct 2014
D. Thomson - See all my reviews
After recently re-watching the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings films I decided that I wanted to read through the books. There were a few different box sets to choose from, then I stumbled on this one which looked like a fantastic set at a really reasonable price.

The books themselves are described as paperback by Amazon and look like hardbacks in the images. I wouldn't say either description is accurate. They have a rubbery imitation leather feel to them, which is really nice. The lettering on the covers of the books is pressed in, rather than printed which is a nice touch.The covers are flexible but strong, which makes these books really comfortable to hold, regardless of how far through them you are. The type of binding also makes it really easy to have the book fully open without feeling like you're going to damage it. The books are presented in an open top box with the same finish as the books, with lettering again pressed in rather than printed.

In terms of size, these books are slightly smaller than my previous paperback copy of The Hobbit but roughly the same width. The text size is fairly small, but not to the point that it is difficult to read (at least, not for me). The Hobbit appears to have slightly larger text than The Lord of the Rings volumes. The paper feels like good quality paper. There are also full page images and maps in the books. Although The Lord of the Rings is split into three separate books, the page numbers continue from where the previous book left off. For example, The Fellowship of the Ring book ends on page 398 and The Two Towers book begins on page 399. This is useful because at the end of The Return of the King there are approximately 130 pages of appendixes, including an index section covering all 3 books.

I would highly recommend this set to anyone looking for a good quality set at a reasonable price. This is a fantastic way to present a fantastic set of books and I honestly cannot find anything to grumble about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb BBC adaptations on CD, 25 Dec 2012
Amazon Customer (on one of the Two Worlds) - See all my reviews
It seems crazy to me that Amazon lump together reviews for different products, which is why I've written this note. This review is for the 19 CD set of the BBC radio adaptations for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. It was written from that product page & so belongs with that product. If Amazon put it somewhere else, that's their decision, not a result of this review...

It may seem expensive, but this product does contain 19 CDs, although the CD with music from The Hobbit is rather short at under 10 minutes.

The first 13 CDs are the BBC Lord of the Rings radio episodes, presented as 1 hour episodes, one episode on each CD. Each episode contains opening and end credits - it is not the re-edited version which was brought out a few years ago with a new introduction by Ian Holm. The 14th CD contains music from the series.

The next 4 CDs consist of The Hobbit - 2 half hour episodes presented per CD, without opening or closing credits. The final CD is, as mentioned above, is a CD of music.

The radio adaptation of The Lord of the Rings is widely acknowledged to be a classic, and I'd go along with this; it's wonderful! Jsut to pick out a couple of highlights; I particularly like the exchanges between Frodo and Faramir in Ithilien, which are much superior and truer to the book that those in the film, The Two Towers. Another classic section is the last episode "The Grey Havens" which adds more detail to the end of the story than the film.

The Hobbit adaptation isn't as good in my opinion. There are a lot of excellent parts, but there are some intrusive special effects at times, and some grating mis-pronunciations of names (Gollum = Gol-oom). nonetheless, considering it was first broadcast 45 years ago, it has dated well.

All in all, a good version (It would have to be for me to pay good money for something I've already bought before; I have a copy of the re-edited version on cassette) and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars White Shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise, 3 Dec 2013
Very beautiful editions of my favourite series of all time, I have always wanted to own a nice edition of these books and these are very nice. Good quality of paper and great detail of Tolkien's drawings makes this a great purchase. I'll admit that I would have liked an attached ribbon to use as a bookmark but this only a small problem and obviously does not ruin the quality of the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great special edition, 3 Dec 2013
These books are a great addition to any bookshelf.

No need to speak about the fantastic story as everyone will have at least heard of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings by now.

These books have lovely illustrated maps and also come with the original introductions which give you an insight into how Tolkien came to write these books in the first place.

A must have for book lovers

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien (Paperback - 22 Nov 2012)
Used & New from: £19.99