1,611 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual
A new take on a fascinating period of British history. Well written in an unusual style which takes a chapter or two to get used to, but once you are hooked you can't put it down
Published 18 months ago by mark kimber

1,040 of 1,108 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Is it me, or is the grammar atrocious...?
My first book review, and I'm writing it because I'm annoyed. After reading much praise and noticing Mantel had won the booker prize I bought myself a Kindle version, but within a few pages I started becoming distracted by the structure of the writing.

I hesitate to challenge Mantel's grammar because I already know how well this book has been received, but from...
Published 24 months ago by Mr. P. Benson

‹ Previous | 1149 150 151162 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
It's a great piece of history, badly written it was a real struggle to read. I didn't bother with the follow up

3.0 out of 5 stars Findind it hard to get into, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I imagine many people would value the way this book is written. If you love period language then this might be for you.
In fairness I haven't read more than a chapter as yet, but it hasn't grabbed my attention.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've read much better, 23 Mar 2013
The Axe Man (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Audio CD)
What can I say? This seems to be a marmite book, which I hated. Perhaps the most high profile Booker prize winner of recent years, especially in light of HM's second Booker for the follow-up in this proposed trilogy. I had this on my book shelf for over two years but decided to take it on holiday with me. This was my first mistake, as this is most definitely not holiday reading. My second mistake was assuming this book would be good because it won the Booker prize. This was my most fundamental error. I've read a few Booker winners - they're a mixed bag. This, in my view, was one of the weaker winners. In fact so weak I question if the judges even read Wolf Hall. I am all for diversity in writing styles and plot construction. Certainly a non-linear plot is no problem... In principle. However, HM's writing style is, if I'm honest, just awful. She has little appreciation of grammar and the persistent use of 'he' is infuriating. This could have been a great book... In the hands of a more able word smith. Also, I sense HM tried to inject a darkly comic undertone. If this is the case, it did not shine through the muddled prose.

Fans of this book will write off critics as not being up to the challenge of the prose. My answer to that is HM is not up to the challenge of writing prose. I am a prolific reader of all genres and both fiction/non-fiction. I have read many challenging book. In the last 10 years I can't remember not finishing a book, until now. However, life is too short. The fact this book won the Booker prize calls into question the value of that prize. That it did win is more a reflection of the snobbery of that prize, rather than the literary merits of this book.

I rarely write Amazon reviews, and only ever positive, but I sufficiently disliked this book to feel the need to warn other potential readers. The only thing stopping me giving this book one star is the extras included at the end of this book, including an interview with HM. I thought this was a progressive idea. Also HM came across as likeable and down-to-earth in the author interview, which belied the pretentious and confused nature of her writing style. Also, I agree with her recent comments about the monarchy (I am not a fan) and for that reason alone she merits an additional star.

If you want an unorthodox book, written in a brilliantly unique way that is also darkly humorous, go for Catch-22. Although set in a completely different period (world war 2) it is one of the greatest novels ever written. In 20 years Wolf Hall will be forgotten by most of the reading public. Unfortunately this novel will most likely be the ruin of many A level English Lit students in years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars MANTEL ON BACK BOILER, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
CAN BE TEDIOUS EARLY ON AS YOU STRIVE TO FOCUS ON THE ENTIRE PLOT.MAIN CHARACTER WELL DRAWN.
THEN MANTEL'S ATTACK ON THE DEFENCELESS DUCHESS COMPLETELY BIASED MY VIEW OF THE AUTHOR,NOT GONE BACK TO FINISH THE BOOK SINCE ,MAY IN WINTER.HER/AUTHOR'S APOLOGY/LATER EXPLANATION OF HER SPEECH DID NOT ALTER MY OPINION.AND I AM IRISH,NOT A ROYALIST BUT HAVE TREMENDOUS REPECT FOR THE QUEEN AND HER FAMILY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Much ado about not much...., 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
It is probably me, but all I can think is that, the "Booker Prize" is another snob thing for people who want to appear above the plebs. It's the same with wine and art. For me the book simple dragged on. It started slowly, lost direction in the middle, and fell off towards the end. Soz Hilary I won`t be reading your next... I have a life. But gud on ya, you are a marketing genious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awards say it all, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
You cannot always go by what the experts say, fine art and literature pundits always seem to be a little into themselves and each other. if one like it they all follow like sheep. well this has been a good read and the second one in the trilogy has already been purchased, so there is your answer. Worth a read if that is your thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was definitely one that I couldn't put down!, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I have read several historical novels in the past about the times of Henry Vlll, and this was the first one that I identified with Thomas Cromwell - I wish I had known him!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 18 Feb 2013
Ms. K. Hall - See all my reviews
Great read
I enjoyed the story although was a bit long.
Arrived on time.
Happy with the product
All good nothing bad to say

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
This was purchased for my neighbour. She read it on a cruise & said that it was a really good read. She's looking forward to the next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I too prudy for this language, or is it just tedious??, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy this historical arena, and chose and purchased the book for me (ie., it was not a gift), and probably partly as it was marketed as good and is a Booker winner. Perhaps the language used was everyday then, as it can be today, but at the moment I have stopped reading at the word 'c.nt', which unhappily is not very far into it. Obviously I don't know if this or similar is to be tediously repeated throughout the book. I may pick it up again, probably because I worked hard to earn the money to pay for it. It's not captured my imagination yet, because repeating meaningless words doesn't require that, and I'm afraid it will become as monotonous as Stephen Fry's early life autobiography which degenerates into ever-increasing f..ks, or worse, the terrible book by the girl who was supposed to have walked across Africa - can't remember her name. Yep. Maybe other readers will relish the colour or see it as essential, but I shall need some persuading. The actual story is probably of substance, hence the Booker, so I may re-visit this review. It's the hope - you plough on hoping it will get good, and you just feel let down as soon as the tedium signs begin to emerge, as now in this review. Thank you Amazon for asking.

I've since discussed this with a friend who has read it entirely - noting the use of 'he' for Cromwell, and I'm told the tedious words don't repeat, so I will be re-visiting in due course.

‹ Previous | 1149 150 151162 | Next ›

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)
13.60