Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2013
As with all Diana's book - you are guaranteed a wonderful story with spell-binding characters. I'd forgotten that this one has a bit that makes me cry (don't worry - it's all okay in the end). Since Harry Potter, we have all gone a bit ga-ga for wizards and the like, but this is something different - truly unique. I recommend this book for anyone; any age, any gender, any species.
on 14 March 2015
I had actually read Year of the Griffin before this, by accident! So it was lovely to finally be introduced to such characters whom I'd heard all about!
It is very difficult to describe how truly amazing Diana Wynne Jones books are. Dark Lord of Derkholm is also an incredible read, which characters whom you very much relate to! I also cried at this one quite a bit, I think it's definitely slightly more adult than some of her others.
Just amazing writing, amazing world building and really amazing imagination.
on 28 September 2013
Found this several years ago at the local library and loved it. Couldn't find my own copy for love nor money so hugely pleased it's now available on kindle!
on 26 February 2014
Fantastic book. Typical Diana Wynne Jones style with a broad span of main characters and plot, and somehow a really endearing story.
on 22 August 2015
Enjoyed this as a library hardback ten years and more ago. New cover, but just as much fun...
on 25 February 2016
Brilliant book which i will read again and again.
on 31 March 2015
Witty, funny, well written and enjoyable
on 16 May 2016
Just as described - many thanks.
on 5 March 2015
Great author!
I am a dedicated Jones fan and I enjoyed this book. It has the usual great Jones characters and creatures.However Jones actually seems to pilfer her demon characters from J.K Rowling! I was so disappointed. Harry Potter is a poor rip off of "Witch Week" and it is sad to see this vastly superior fantasy writer borrowing from a poor imitator