‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just so Brilliant!!!, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Department 19: Zero Hour (Hardcover)
I have been obsessed with this series for the last couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get my hands on book 4! I will be honest and say I thought it would be the last one in the series - it is not!!! There is one more to come, this book ends with the simple words 'to be concluded' but those simple words hold so much weight and meaning. I can't believe I have to wait to find out how it all ends. Considering this book only came out in June - it's going to be at least a year until the next one, how can I possibly wait that long!? I hope I am wrong and it's much sooner than that - I have to know how it all turns out.

Anyway onto the review -

Zero Hour continues where Battle Lines left off but a couple of months further down the line - the hour of Dracula's return is closer than ever and the Department 19 team are pushed to their limits. Every officer available is out on recon missions - scouting out vampires and bringing them down, some more dangerous than others, but each day the threat rises and life becomes a struggle just to survive.

Our main character is still Jamie but Larissa, Matt, Katt, Turner and Holmwood all play much bigger parts and that's how I like it. The whole organisation seems to have come to life and all of the people feel like team mates - people I know and trust. They step off the page and into my mind and heart, I route for them, fight with them and feel their hope and loss. I could not be further into this world without physically climbing through the pages and now I have finished this book I feel a little lost.

At one point I looked at this book and thought 'how can this not end in 700 pages - surely there can't be that much too it, and another book to come?' but my word you would be surprised - the pages are filled with everything and anything - but it is all vital to the story, every single bit works towards the final hour and builds the world, the characters and the plot. And I soared through those 700 pages, never looking back, desperate to know what happens but dreading the end. I don't know how Will Hill does it, I really don't. These books are just incredible and the writing just flows off the page. These books could be twice as big and still not be enough for me!

I am so happy to have discovered this series and proudly name it as one of my ultimate favourites. I highly recommend it and think everyone should read it.

Slight warning that there is a lot of violence, blood and gore included so younger readers need to take care.

I now sit, waiting for news on book 5 - waiting for the day Dracula faces Larissa and Jamie again, wondering what the outcome will be. For the moment though, I have found 5 short stories from the series on Amazon and downloaded them on my kindle, so I can still dip into the world of Department 19 and find out a bit more about it's past. This may help to maintain my sanity - for now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Hill raises the bar yet again, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Department 19: Zero Hour (Hardcover)
When I read the first Department 19 book, I stated that it was the best action horror that I had ever read. And then Will Hill raised the goddamn bar with his second book, The Rising. Then, like the great Sergey Bubka, he teased us by raising that bar even more for Battle Lines, and as spectators we were left wondering whether Will Hill had it in him to continue doing so. All we could do was watch and wait. And now Zero Hour is upon us, and yes, that bar has gone up again and Hill has sailed over it.

Before I continue, a word of warning. This is the fourth book in the series and as such this review will contain spoilers for previous books, so if you haven't read them then please do not read on. Secondly, I'm not sure how much I will be saying in this review anyway - with every new book that comes along in this series it feels more and more wrong to mention plot points in a review. Seriously - if you want to know what happens then just read the book.

As a quick reminder, the end of Battle Lines left us with 46 days till Zero Hour. Things had not gone well for Jamie and his team (understatement). Jamie's friends had also gone through hell, whether physically or emotionally, both in the UK and, for Larissa, over in the US. And then there is the matter of Julian Carpenter - alive and well, and back on British soil, but as a high security prisoner whose identity is known only to one or two people.

Zero Hour picks up the story with seven days till Zero Hour, and things are beginning to look very desperate indeed for the members of Department 19. The breakthrough they have been hoping and praying for just hasn't materialised. Kate and the Intelligence Division have data that predicts nothing but disaster of apocalyptic proportions for the world's non-vampire population. Larissa is wracked with guilt as she strongly suspects that Julian Carpenter is alive, but she can't find a way of telling Jamie. Jamie himself is still reeling from the events of Battle Lines, and also struggling with the growing realisation that his girlfriend is one of the most powerful vampires in the world, so where does that leave him, a mere mortal human? Matt Browning has been working night and day, desperately trying to find a cure for vampirism, but so far his efforts have all been in vain. And then there is Valentin Rusmanov, now allied with Department 19, but long absent, off on his own search for an answer to their prayers.

So, all things considered, things aren't looking good for the human race.

And then things get worse.

On finishing Zero Hour I sent Will Hill a Twitter message, congratulating him on what I thought to be his best book yet, and I told him it was his Empire Strikes Back. There are two reasons for this: the first is that the first two three quarters of the book are a gradual build up to the climactic final quarter (more about that in a minute). The second was the feeling you get, as you turn the pages, that things just can't get any worse. And yet then they do. And again, you think, oh well, at least things can't get any worse. And then they do, again. And this continues again and again as the plot progresses, and all of the time you know that every crappy little thing that is thrown at the D19 team is only a precursor to everything hitting the fan when Dracula finally reaches full strength. There were times when I felt slightly sick with nerves reading this as I have become so invested in these characters over the past few years. Especially given what happened to Shaun Turner in The Rising: we already know that Will Hill has the balls to kill off key characters.

So how could things possibly get worse for the D19 team? Well, I've thought long and hard about what I should or shouldn't reveal, and I decided that I would expand on one key plot point only. Simply put, word gets out. We sort of guessed this would happen following the events of Battle Lines, but now we are talking worldwide media coverage, social media and YouTube, and all the grief that that brings with it: protests (by both vampires and humans); condemnation of the work of D19 by the press; accusations of ethnic cleansing. Not exactly what the team needs to keep them focused as they prepare to do battle with their greatest foe and the biggest ever threat to mankind. However, as far as things getting worse for the team, this is only one of them, and in some ways fairly minor considering some of the other big reveals that come in this book.

Just now I said I would mention more about the climactic final quarter of the book. However, before we reach that point I want to touch on three moments in the first three quarters that pretty much took my breath away. The first was a major fist-pump moment which happens just as the clock has ticked over to two days until Zero Hour. I'm not saying any more other than it sort of relates to my favourite character in the series and it's nice to see justice done. I reckon Will Hill took great delight in writing this particular scene. The other two key moments happened within twenty pages of each other and I actually uttered a word that I can't and won't repeat here when I read it and I felt as if I had been punched in the gut. And if that wasn't enough, twenty pages later I was left with more than a few tears in my eyes as Hill tore out my heart and crushed it. Will Hill has balls of steel and does not hold back in this book!

And then there is the climactic final portion. Seriously, if you have any energy left when you get to the chapter titled "The Calm Before" I suggest you put the book down, go outside and get a breath of fresh air. Perhaps treat yourself to a bar of chocolate and a can of red Coke (or whatever your beverage of choice happens to be) because hell, you are going to need it! The final part of this book is fast, furious, bloody, violent, and definitely takes no prisoners. It's a no-holds-barred climax that comes with one rule only: kill or be killed, and should come with a theme park style warning about readers with heart conditions, etc.

You also need to make sure that you have plenty of time to finish the book, as once you start reading this chapter you will find it impossible to put the book down until you have reached the final chapter, more than 100 pages later.

With the fifth and final book titled Darkest Night I have a feeling that things are probably going to get even worse before this series comes to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC, 5 Aug 2014
J. I. Robinson "jamiestennis" (The Garrison, Essex) - See all my reviews
Smart, incisive and beautifully, if disturbingly descriptive at times, this book answers questions raised in the earlier stories and introduces new ones for adventures yet to come. It moves through at a lightning fast pace combining the arrival of unexpected acts of heroism from unlikely characters with enjoyably predictable"Step-ups" from those we already love. Then, behind it all, the reader is never allowed to forget the ever present catastrophe that the rise of DRACULA represents. SIMPLY PUT ... IT'S BRILLIANT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars can't wait for the final book, 9 Aug 2014
H. Walker (Doncaster, S. Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Department 19: Zero Hour (Hardcover)
I love the D19 series and I'm actually a bit disappointed that it's coming to an end in the next book... That said, every one of the stores had been an excellent read. Will Hill is just brilliant in the storytelling so much so it transports you to the actual universe... I do hope that these books become blockbuster films!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing......series goes from strength to strength, 10 July 2014
Having been a fan of department books since buying the first one on a whim I have to say they just keep on getting better and better every chapter. Will hill has exceeded expectations once again and i for one cannot wait for the next instalment. Hurry up!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome. It was definitely my favourite out of the ..., 9 July 2014
This book is awesome. It was definitely my favourite out of the series so far. I cannot wait for the next book, but I will be sad that it will be the last in the series.

I would love to write more about the plot ans stuff, but if I did that it would give the story away as so much goes on. Lots of twists and turns and stuff you just dont see coming. Read it, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 July 2014
This book continues the amazing d19 series and is even better than the other books well done will this is awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars F#!@ing amazing, 4 July 2014
You have to buy this book or God will make you rot in hell. I really really enjoyed this novel. Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Department 19: Zero Hour (Hardcover)
Fast delivery well packaged, Item as described would recommend this item great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, 28 Jun 2014
the best book I have ever read and would recommend to everyone that I Will meet. best book ever. please make a movie of this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Department 19: Zero Hour
Department 19: Zero Hour by Will Hill (Hardcover - 5 Jun 2014)
10.49