"Undisputed Truth" is memoir book of one of the most controversial man and athlete in past decades, Mike Tyson. And what is more important to emphasize, a very good memoir book.

Published 20 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings and one read was enough
Published 1 month ago by Derek Vinard

5.0 out of 5 stars The book about Mike Tyson, a man of flesh and blood, an honest and intimate story, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)

Tyson who grew up in one of the meanest and poorest Brooklyn neighborhood Brownsville, he managed to become one of the most famous and ferocious all-time boxers and the youngest heavyweight champion ever.

Tyson who never knew his father and lost his mother when he was teenager, was member of the gang, walking around with the gun in his hand, he dropped out of the school but nevertheless became a successful boxer, married movie star and earned plenty of money.
But no matter how quickly he earned money even faster he spent all went bankrupt, eventually even ending up in prison humiliated before the whole world.

It's incredible to read how he spent money when he had it in abundance, for example buying the entire stock of Rolls Royce cars.
He had problems with alcohol and so it's interesting to learn that during recording of "The Hangover" movie in which he appeared he was also drunk or going through a hangover himself.

Mike Tyson's autobiography is very brave and honest book that speaks frankly about his life from his own mouth, being equally brutal on himself like he was in ring to other boxers. He speaks about those people who once were with him all the time when he was popular, and then turned their backs on him when everything went downhill.

He will also mention his (in)famous promoter Don King about which he doesn't have anything nice to say calling him names for his theft of around 50 million dollars from Tyson due to his naivety.

He also speaks about his ex-wife and his ex-mother-in-law for which he also uses rather harsh words accusing them for his financial crash and manipulation.
He is telling that his ex Robin Givens faked a pregnancy in order to receive lot of money being supposedly three months pregnant when they got married and sometime later she told him that she had miscarried baby even though there weren't any evidence that she was pregnant at all.
Inside, Tyson also tried to give more information on his rape conviction asking reader how is possible to rape someone who come to your hotel room at two A.M....

Overall, "Undisputed Truth" is not the book that speaks about Tyson the known boxer, but the book about Mike Tyson, a man of flesh and blood, honest and intimate story about the private life of a man who has made countless mistakes in life.

And as much he was loved or hated, this is the book that after you read you will have the opportunity to learn the full truth of what had happened in his life, what made him like he was.

It doesn't mean that his life justifies everything he done, but it certainly gives a lot of explanation.
Definitely book that should be read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would suggest that this makes good holiday/long distance travel reading as there is plenty to ..., 4 Mar. 2015
Before committing to purchasing this, might I suggest that you do as I did and read an edition that wasn't published in the UK as due to the insane libel tourism laws it has to be censored and so if you buy the UK version you miss out on some of the meatier rants.

This book is utter madness and mayhem at over 500 pages long it's certainly in need of some trimming down but overall what a crazy and chaotic life this man has lived and endured to tell the tale. I'm not saying I believe everything he says but even if only some of this is true then deary me. As Tyson stumbles and staggers into one crazy scenario after another you find yourself constantly changing your sympathies and opinions and by the end it's hard to tell how you feel?...

I would suggest that this makes good holiday/long distance travel reading as there is plenty to keep you entertained and amused but by the end of it I was officially sick of hearing about the clubs, the drugs, the women and "the partying" as Americans love to call it. This story manages to make such excess and self indulgent hedonism seem incredibly boring by the sheer mind numbing repetition of it all. There is no shortage of self pity either.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real Tyson story warts and all, a must read for any fan., 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Its hard to know where to start with a review for this book. Over the past 25 yrs there have been many so called Mike Tyson biographies I've read a few so thought that I knew the full story but there was a lot in here that took me by suprise. I thinks its fair to say of all of the books on Tyson this is the only one that counts.
There's certainly a lot of content at almost 570 pages this is twice the book that most autobiographies are. During the time I read this my opinion of Tyson went up and down like a rollercoaster, from being shocked, to thinking that this guy is a complete idiot to feeling sorry for him and at the end I'm still not entirely sure.
One point worth mentioning is that Mikes actual boxing career probably accounts for less than half the content of the book.

If you don't want to see any spoilers stop reading now:

Otherwise he's my overview of this book,

We all know the story of Mikes rise to become the youngest ever Heavyweight champ under the guidance of Cus D'Amato, the marriage to Robin Givens, the legal battles over his management and his loss to Buster Douglas then conviction and incarceration for rape. The comeback and loss to Holyfeild and the ear biting incident.

However the real interesting insights that are less known about and covered in this book are the stories of Mikes childhood and just how big a criminal he was and how brutal the environment was.

The complete lack of ability he had with dealing with his finances (which stemmed from his childhood) it really seemed like someone should have given him some help, although trying to tell a young Tyson what to do with his money would have been a thankless task. Some of the frivolourity of his spending even after his second reign as champ (when he should have learned his lesson) is truly mind blowing! Its clear that giving Mike access to money was like giving a alcoholic the keys to your liquor cabinet.

The hassles of women trying to file lawsuits against him after just before and just after his incarceration (it seemed every golddigger in the country saw him as an easy target).

The biggest shocker to me was finding out the true extent of his drug addiction which spiralled after his loss to Lennox Lewis and his actions after his career finally ended. He basically went on a huge drugs binge that lasted for years living off the charity of wealthy fans and indulging in serious amounts of drugs and hookers.

Throughout it all Mike seems to be brutally honest which some of the times makes it difficult for the reader to have and sympathy for him, even admitting in a postscript to the epilogue that he is still battling his cocaine addiction.

In summary even if you have a slight interest in Tyson or just enjoy A list Biographies then you should read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting recounting of events but Mike pulls no punches in the way he tells it (no pun intended), 11 Feb. 2015
Was a big fan of Iron Mike, grew up seeing him terrorise opponents as an 18 year old. This book does however show he was really on the edge. Littered with constant profanity, Iron Mike still comes across as a slightly rough individual and his musings about all manner of things and the way he still describes his interactions with various women leaves me feeling a little uneasy. The good thing is Mike has not sanitised his story.
Mike appears to be the product of his childhood and tough adolescence. If his writings here are accepted on face value, he's been as much a victim as a victimiser.
A phenomenally gifted and dedicated athlete (at least dedicated in the early days) Mike's legacy should have been even brighter than it undoubtedly always will be in the world of boxing- if he hadn't lost his mentor Cus so early in his career I can't help but think things may have been different for him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings and one read was enough, 20 Jun. 2015
HE DID NOT RAPE HER! I believe that with my whole being. I'm not saying with other people it'd be ok, but he of course had women throwing themselves at him and he got the chance to get out of prison a year early if he apologised and he refused. Think what you want about him but that I'm convinced he didn't do. Also, he admits to committing an absolute ton of funked up poo, so he probably would admit if he did. However, He's hard to like. Up until he gets going on boxing it contains a lot of stories along the lines of 'yeah we were out robbing houses again' and 'yeah I got into a fight again' and it's all just written very much in a chilled out way like it's no big deal. Now don't get me wrong, he grew up in hell and got bullied and like he says yes he was a little kid and he was trying to fit in and I'm not taking that from him, but there's right and there's wrong and we all know the difference. He later goes on to analyse some of his robberies were with guns and he shot at people. Yes, it's cringeworthy. He also confused me in his attitude to other boxers; he holds high regard for some, before him and his competitors, but then he went on to say if he took the Lewis fight seriously he would have kicked his ass, which I didn't think. At times you can relate to him as a typical human being like the way he said he could understand a fighter's strategy on him very quickly and his attitude on money. I think a lot of people would've done the same thing really. I think Tyson just kind of lost his passion and it's a shame because he was all that and then some in the ring, but there were just too many drug induced episodes for him to carry on. As for his fights, they're mainly well covered, as was his time in prison. After the Lewis fight though, the book just got to be a long drawn out tale of drugs and was a labour to just get it over with. I felt good about him in parts like how he was giving heaps of money to people in his neighbourhood and the kids in Mexico I think it was, but reading that a fan asked for an autograph and he was on some doctor's drug and 'boom! I punched him.' I did not. I also saw he footage on YouTube of him biting Holyfield's ear and reading this I could understand his anger but watching I though that he's just insane, to actually do that. I don't think Mills Lane was paid to let Evander's head butts slide but I do think he was showing favouritism to the guy. Also if he needed money he should have tried harder at boxing again instead of making appearances and charging $25 dollars for autographs! In closing that I just wrote sums up the whole book, mixed emotions. He could have been much better if he never took drugs (obviously, drugs are pointless and accomplish nothing) and chose right over wrong, quite a lot of times really. If you read this I recommend Mills Lane's auto' too, the ref' of the bite fight. They talk about similar things, though Mills is clearly a much better person (as if that's hard) and they talk about the exact same events and people in places. Overall I'd read it if you see it in the library or in a charity shop for a couple of quid but don't go out of your way. RIP Exodus :'( God in Heaven, how soul crushing that part was to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brutally Honest Memoir, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Mike Tyson has to be commended highly for the telling of the uncomfortable truths of his life in this enthralling autobiography. I have well over a hundred autobiographies and biographies on boxers but have never read a memoir that is so in-your-face and uncompromisingly honest. Just a look at the cover photograph encapsulates what this book is all about - looking the world straight in the eyes - total sincerity.

You will not find this a bland by-numbers re-telling you what you already know autobiography like most memoirs by other sportsmen, actors, singers etc that specialise in superficiality. In fact, a lot of it's content is an uncomfortable, painful and heartbreaking read.

I would like to address one or two negative comments by previous reviewers. One reviewer complains of the profanity in the book - well, what do you expect? This is how Mike speaks like it or not, any tinkering with the language would be fake and that's not what an honest autobiography is about. Another reviewer is disappointed that there is not more on the actual fights. This is because the book is about Mike Tyson the man - the good, the bad and the ugly. If you have followed Mike's boxing career you should already know of his contests anyway, and if not, go watch the dvds.

After reading the traumatic existence that Mike has had in his own words telling things from his own viewpoint, I truly hope he finds mind, love, peace and happiness after everything he has gone through. Michael Gerard Tyson deserves it.

There is no fight record but as I have already stated, the book is about the man we don't know rather than the one we do know.

Contents:

2 pages of A Note on Lexicon
5 pages of acknowledgments

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted ..., 24 April 2014
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Call Mike Tyson what you like, but there's no denying he's a survivor. After reading this book I realise that for the first forty years of his life Iron Mike's guardian angel must have been working overtime. The amount this man has lived through, and overcome, is incredible - childhood poverty, a prostitute mother, seeing his friends killed in the street, the loss of his mentor Cus D'Amato, and a relationship with Don King that drove him to bankruptcy. Sure, the one-time 'Baddest Man on the Planet' is no saint but he does come across as very humble, and intelligent in this book - two things he may not get called very often. Tyson's narrative is very touching and at times I genuinely felt for the guy. With the help of Larry Sloman, his co-writer, Tyson takes us on a brilliant journey from his dizzying heights as the youngest ever undisputed world heavyweight champion to his lowest of lows in his battles with drugs, conviction for rape, divorces, and the death of his daughter Exodus. If anything, the book made me realise that a leopard can change its spots. Tyson comes across as sensitive individual who is willing to hold his hand up and admit where he went wrong which makes him an extremely likeable character. For those who are quick to judge, this book probably isn't for you because Mike has made a lot of mistakes in his life but it is the unrelenting desire to survive and carve out a new life for himself and his children that concludes this poignant memoir on a promising note. Mike has truly undergone a Renaissance and is now looking to forge a career in the movies and entertainment, and I can honestly say that after reading 'Undisputed Truth', I wish him every success with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Your Hands on this Book Immediately, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
I bought this book mainly because of my admiration for Mike Tyson; and I must say I have not been let down in the slightest. His journey to becoming the greatest ever heavyweight boxer is telling, and you cannot help but admire him even more. I literally read all 570 odd pages of this book within 72 hours of receiving it, even with all the other commitments I have. Once I got going, I didn't want to put the book down.
Tyson is at large a misunderstood person, so it is interesting to hear more about what he went through, and why he became the man he did.
Reading this book will certainly make you experience a range of different emotions. In this book Tyson made me laugh with some of the content he reveals; he made me happy with his achievements and his success; he made me sad with some of the decisions he made; and he also made me feel sorry for him for some of the things he has had to endure in his life.
Growing up in the tough Brooklyn district in a dysfunctional home, his marriage to Robin Givens, his imprisonment, his bankruptcy after grossing in excess of $300 million, the loss of his daughter Exodus and his drug habit are all explained in graphic detail, so there is no shortage of content and excitement.
This is probably the best autobiography I have read. It is so good, I would pay double the RRP. So at the current price you are getting an absolute bargain.
There is a lot of bad language for those who might see this as a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, brilliantly raw, 14 Jan. 2015
To be honest, I didn't expect much from this book. I am not into boxing, not much into religion and I didn't think much of Mike Tyson to start with.
All of that has changed.
This book has shown me more about life than any other. From the inspiring quotes from Cus about mental strenght to the rollercoaster of boxing-drinks-drugs-depression. How a life that seems fulfilling is nothing more than an empty shell and how your demons will haunt you. Mike, with his honesty has allowed me to appreciate that I am what I am, no more or less, and that even being born in the ghetto you are in control of your destiny.
That there are good and bad people in the world, and that a lot of people will try to take advantage of you when others only want to help.
For the last few days reading I keep telling my wife: "this is like Mike Tyson" or "you won't believe what happened to him" and she would look at me like looking at a stranger because I was never interested in sports and the only thing I knew about boxing is that they use gloves.
But I am interested in human nature in the face of adversity, and Mike had plenty.
I can only say, if he ever reads this, that I am proud of you Mike, for fighting your demons and for be able to love and to be loved.
Only if you read the book you will understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars 560 page epic, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
I for one felt I knew all there was to k ow about tyson having followed his life and career perhaps closer than anyone having met tyson,walked in his new York hangouts etc.guess again.......gratifyingly tyson has an inate ability to disclose new layers and elaborate...what results is a 560 page tour de force a modern day epic of how a foul uncouth bastard from a 70s Brooklyn ghetto with cheating in his blood grew to be the youngest heavyweight champion ever and became a charismatic,learned fellow a literary figure who won a fortune lost it than won it again only to lose it a second time.he mixed with kings,princes,artists,imams,all who seemed besotted with him and of course the women " the two dollar hoes,the lap dancers,the actresses,models,everyday women and groupies he devoured insatiable along with his addiction to drugs.Tyson the dysfunctional derelict the self proclaimed son of a bitch makes a fascinating subject and perhaps the man himself puts best his real legacy.rap grew simultaneously with tysons rise in the mid 80s and he was in truth the first gangster rapper black mogul he did the bitches and bling and private jets and taught a generation like kanye ,pdiddy,Jay z how to do it

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson (Hardcover - 21 Nov. 2013)
Used & New from: £0.50