"Undisputed Truth" is memoir book of one of the most controversial man and athlete in past decades, Mike Tyson. And what is more important to emphasize, a very good memoir book.

Published 14 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars sad story of a confused soul
a repetitive read not sure if Tyson really ever will understand how to find any peace with himself or get bored of drugs
Published 11 months ago by mr m

5.0 out of 5 stars The book about Mike Tyson, a man of flesh and blood, an honest and intimate story, 21 Nov. 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)

Tyson who grew up in one of the meanest and poorest Brooklyn neighborhood Brownsville, he managed to become one of the most famous and ferocious all-time boxers and the youngest heavyweight champion ever.

Tyson who never knew his father and lost his mother when he was teenager, was member of the gang, walking around with the gun in his hand, he dropped out of the school but nevertheless became a successful boxer, married movie star and earned plenty of money.
But no matter how quickly he earned money even faster he spent all went bankrupt, eventually even ending up in prison humiliated before the whole world.

It's incredible to read how he spent money when he had it in abundance, for example buying the entire stock of Rolls Royce cars.
He had problems with alcohol and so it's interesting to learn that during recording of "The Hangover" movie in which he appeared he was also drunk or going through a hangover himself.

Mike Tyson's autobiography is very brave and honest book that speaks frankly about his life from his own mouth, being equally brutal on himself like he was in ring to other boxers. He speaks about those people who once were with him all the time when he was popular, and then turned their backs on him when everything went downhill.

He will also mention his (in)famous promoter Don King about which he doesn't have anything nice to say calling him names for his theft of around 50 million dollars from Tyson due to his naivety.

He also speaks about his ex-wife and his ex-mother-in-law for which he also uses rather harsh words accusing them for his financial crash and manipulation.
He is telling that his ex Robin Givens faked a pregnancy in order to receive lot of money being supposedly three months pregnant when they got married and sometime later she told him that she had miscarried baby even though there weren't any evidence that she was pregnant at all.
Inside, Tyson also tried to give more information on his rape conviction asking reader how is possible to rape someone who come to your hotel room at two A.M....

Overall, "Undisputed Truth" is not the book that speaks about Tyson the known boxer, but the book about Mike Tyson, a man of flesh and blood, honest and intimate story about the private life of a man who has made countless mistakes in life.

And as much he was loved or hated, this is the book that after you read you will have the opportunity to learn the full truth of what had happened in his life, what made him like he was.

It doesn't mean that his life justifies everything he done, but it certainly gives a lot of explanation.
Definitely book that should be read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real Tyson story warts and all, a must read for any fan., 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Its hard to know where to start with a review for this book. Over the past 25 yrs there have been many so called Mike Tyson biographies I've read a few so thought that I knew the full story but there was a lot in here that took me by suprise. I thinks its fair to say of all of the books on Tyson this is the only one that counts.
There's certainly a lot of content at almost 570 pages this is twice the book that most autobiographies are. During the time I read this my opinion of Tyson went up and down like a rollercoaster, from being shocked, to thinking that this guy is a complete idiot to feeling sorry for him and at the end I'm still not entirely sure.
One point worth mentioning is that Mikes actual boxing career probably accounts for less than half the content of the book.

If you don't want to see any spoilers stop reading now:

Otherwise he's my overview of this book,

We all know the story of Mikes rise to become the youngest ever Heavyweight champ under the guidance of Cus D'Amato, the marriage to Robin Givens, the legal battles over his management and his loss to Buster Douglas then conviction and incarceration for rape. The comeback and loss to Holyfeild and the ear biting incident.

However the real interesting insights that are less known about and covered in this book are the stories of Mikes childhood and just how big a criminal he was and how brutal the environment was.

The complete lack of ability he had with dealing with his finances (which stemmed from his childhood) it really seemed like someone should have given him some help, although trying to tell a young Tyson what to do with his money would have been a thankless task. Some of the frivolourity of his spending even after his second reign as champ (when he should have learned his lesson) is truly mind blowing! Its clear that giving Mike access to money was like giving a alcoholic the keys to your liquor cabinet.

The hassles of women trying to file lawsuits against him after just before and just after his incarceration (it seemed every golddigger in the country saw him as an easy target).

The biggest shocker to me was finding out the true extent of his drug addiction which spiralled after his loss to Lennox Lewis and his actions after his career finally ended. He basically went on a huge drugs binge that lasted for years living off the charity of wealthy fans and indulging in serious amounts of drugs and hookers.

Throughout it all Mike seems to be brutally honest which some of the times makes it difficult for the reader to have and sympathy for him, even admitting in a postscript to the epilogue that he is still battling his cocaine addiction.

In summary even if you have a slight interest in Tyson or just enjoy A list Biographies then you should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, brilliantly raw, 14 Jan. 2015
To be honest, I didn't expect much from this book. I am not into boxing, not much into religion and I didn't think much of Mike Tyson to start with.
All of that has changed.
This book has shown me more about life than any other. From the inspiring quotes from Cus about mental strenght to the rollercoaster of boxing-drinks-drugs-depression. How a life that seems fulfilling is nothing more than an empty shell and how your demons will haunt you. Mike, with his honesty has allowed me to appreciate that I am what I am, no more or less, and that even being born in the ghetto you are in control of your destiny.
That there are good and bad people in the world, and that a lot of people will try to take advantage of you when others only want to help.
For the last few days reading I keep telling my wife: "this is like Mike Tyson" or "you won't believe what happened to him" and she would look at me like looking at a stranger because I was never interested in sports and the only thing I knew about boxing is that they use gloves.
But I am interested in human nature in the face of adversity, and Mike had plenty.
I can only say, if he ever reads this, that I am proud of you Mike, for fighting your demons and for be able to love and to be loved.
Only if you read the book you will understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars book of two halfs, 15 April 2014
The start is brilliant and then much like Tyson career tales off in the end with too many tales of drugs and women that becomes boring, only then to go out with a bang in the final pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, a must read., 20 Jun. 2014
I don't usually write reviews so I will keep this brief. The book is full of surprises and as someone who watched his fights as a kid with my Dad it was great to hear his account. He has lived 100 lives and will bring you along his journey in a captivating way. For those who have no interest in boxing it is a great bio if like me, they are your thing. You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars sad story of a confused soul, 16 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Real page turner!, 10 Jan. 2015
Rather daunting read at 500+ pages, but once you start reading, it's phenomenal. It became rather like a research project for me, watching the fights on You Tube after reading about them in his book. Believe me, he doesn't embellish his life story at all, it's 100% accurate. I was a big fan of his in my teenage years and it reminded me what a devastating, driven fighter he was. We haven't seen any fighter that gets near him since he retired. Today's fighters lack the "killer instinct" Tyson had in the ring. Big men were visibly frightened by him and who can blame them. He recounts his personal life in an extremely pragmatic and honest way. Very self critical yet he has hopefully learned from his mistakes. Reading it,it makes you angry at the many leaches who took advantage of him and bled him of hundreds of millions of pounds. Don King, hang your head in shame!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Dissapointing Read, 24 July 2014
I only read this book as Amazon suggested it, although said I am a big boxing and MMA fan. It was a fairly disappointing read and I've came away with a not very positive impression of Tyson. Although it is very honest, I would argue he doesn't do himself any favours to his audience by revealing his true nature.

The book details his early years in Catskill well. The book doesn't describe too much or too many of his fights and even the notorious ear biting fight only really got a page or two max. He mentions his run ins with the law or where there were court cases but you get the impression this is to reassure the audience he was innocent. Overall the structure is quick and doesn't stop too many times. It's worth a read for a couple of quid.

Lastly, I watched some of his fights on line as I read the book and this helped alot. Kings of boxing

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Dec. 2014
Chez "Biovet" (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
I don't know a massive amount about boxing, I watch the big fights when they're on but I'm not a raving fan spending hours on YouTube trawling through footage (unlike my husband!)

I picked this book up as I had nothing better to do and it was sitting on the bookshelf staring at me.

Wow! I didn't put it down for over 3 hours. What an amazing story. It hooks you in right from the first page. Tyson in brutally honest throughout the entire book. It has darkness from the harsh reality of his up bringing whilst being massively inspiring at the same time. I knew he was a brilliant boxer but Iv found a lot of respect for him through reading this book. Right from the beginning its a roller coaster of emotions, events and different mind sets.

I 100% recommend anyone to read this it will keep you entertained throughout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed up., 8 Oct. 2014
What a mixed up crazy world this man made for himself. If you needed to feel better about your life read this. Had this man been less of a nutter he would have ruled the world.
I just couldn't put this book down could he do any more things wrong! YES all the time.
Not to much about Boxing so don't expect it but mainly about his lack of reality, robbed and used by everybody close to him.
He tried real hard to escape his roots but failed you can take the boy from the badness but can you take the badness from the boy?
As far as Autobiography's go it was not the best but in a strange way I enjoyed reading it.

One of the greatest fighters ever was never in control of his temper and was always regarded as a cash cow.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson (Hardcover - 21 Nov. 2013)
Used & New from: £19.79