5.0 out of 5 stars It's self-help, Jim, but not as we know it...
I wouldn't say I'm an avid reader of self-help books but I have gone through quite a few get-organised-sort-yourself-out titles in the last few years. As I read some of them I would nod along at their common sense suggestions and think to myself "oh yes, very good idea, I must do that..." but strangely enough no action was ever taken.

I forget how I came across...
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by Ms. K. Carlisle

3.0 out of 5 stars My kind of philosophy
Written in plain English. The only motivational/self help book I've read so far that is honest and realistic enough to acknowledge that where you are now may not be entirely your own doing, and that external forces have a large part to play (as opposed to all the other books that constantly tell you that you are responsible for absolutely everything thats gone on in your...
Published on 8 May 2012 by Brian Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars It's self-help, Jim, but not as we know it..., 3 Jan 2012
Ms. K. Carlisle (Manchester) - See all my reviews

I forget how I came across this book but I suspect I was looking for a guide on how to do everything, so achieving that AND being happy for the Kindle price of £1.99 seemed like quite good value. And indeed it was. For starters, unlike many self-help books out there, Peter Jones goes beyond telling you what you already know and actually includes - wait for it - original ideas! Now, they're not rocket science, but they are different so if you feel like you've tried everything then just give this book a try and you'll see what I mean.

Like many other books of this nature, there are action points, but in this case they are included in such as way that you actually feel compelled to do them! I genuinely stopped at the point where I was instructed to buy a diary and drove to a Staples store that evening to buy a Filofax. I NEVER do that sort of thing - in fact, normally if someone tells me to do something I tend to do the opposite.

I have now implemented most of the ideas from the book, and am combining them with David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology (as Peter Jones also suggests). As a result, I am more focused and have achieved more in the last few months than I have in the last few years! Originally I was focusing on my home life when I started reading the book, but actually I think there have been improvements to my work life too. My boss certainly thinks so!

The book is structured in a way that makes it easy to dip in and out of, with reminders and hints to keep you on track as you go along. It's also refreshing to have real-life examples from the author's own life, and you get the genuine impression that he just wants to share some ideas that he's used effectively. It's not patronising and at no point does he claim to be perfect himself!

Now seriously, just buy it. It costs less than £2 if you buy the Kindle copy - and that doesn't require you to have a Kindle, I have the Kindle software on my laptop and phone.

Enjoy doing everything and being happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, easy to read and motivation, 31 Dec 2011
James Muir - See all my reviews
Really enjoyed reading this book and taking some good tips from the helpful exercises within. It is a very easy read and the author has not over complicated his writing.

I very much like the way he gets straight to the point and is very honest in his methods.

Great price and great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't live without my diary, 14 Sep 2011
You have really got to love Peter! Not only did he write me a book I picked up just after I started really feeling the agony of depression and work stress, but he has even taken the time out to "chat" with me via Twitter and therefore providing ongoing support. He's like having my own guru!!

This book (kindle edition for me) is really really sensible advice. It does conflict with other self-help style books that I've read, but I'm now finding a happy balance between decluttering and having trophy space, keeping on top of the house and still giving myself the visual reminders that I need to remind me that it's not all bad and I CAN cope.

I always had a diary, but it didn't have everything in. Now it does, it's on my phone and it's synced to that of my husband, so there are no excuses for double bookings, "forgetting" essential housework or taking my me time. I have ticked off one thing on my Now List (which is also on Peter's as outstanding!) but I am finding it hard to set aside Now List and Wish List time, seperating the two and actually being able to progress anything on either without having any money. I have only managed two boxing days and I am learning how to make each one better (start by having them after rather than just before pay day) and I have been getting lots of "good for you" type comments from friends and family which really does reassure me that I needed something to remind me to think of myself more often.

Peter's writing style is humourous and friendly, like having a chat with your best mate over a pint, so it's easy to see where he's coming from and you find yourself replanning the way you do everything as you go through the book - two days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Peter, I Have A Diary!, 25 Aug 2012
There's not a huge amount of new theory in this great little book; in fact anyone who's familiar with time management, SMART objectives and project management will recognise much of it. What makes it different is Peter Jones' wonderful style. He's chatty, he's approachable, he's very funny - but he knows how to be hard-hitting too. He tells it how it is - achieving your goals (assuming you've managed to work out what they are) isn't easy; it takes hard work - but it CAN be done. I'm usually very cynical about self-help books, but this is a one-man campaign "to reclaim these sensible, practical, powerful ideas and represent them, without the fluff, without the mystique, and with a distinctly European flavour." I've always used a diary - but from now on, I will use it better. I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A motivational read, 26 Jun 2012
Infoanxiety (North East, England) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to read in a very friendly style. He not only gets you to think about what you've got now - my favourite bit of advice was to have a pin board for ticket stubs etc to remind you just how much you've done/places you've been, he also gets you to set goals and set aside time in your diary to make them happen with positive reinforcements along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this book., 20 July 2012
I love this book so much. Like a lot of people, I often felt a bit 'meh' about my life. I wasn't miserable, but I certainly wasn't overwhelmed with joy. I didn't want to emigrate, I didn't want to change careers... I just wanted to feel a bit happier with my lot, really.

Before I read the book, I'd started to make a few changes. Not massive leaps, just tweaks here and there. By the time I'd finished the book, I'd taken a lot of the author's advice and I'd tweaked a bit more.

I can honestly now say that I have never been happier. Yes, I sometimes still feel 'meh', but it's fleeting moments, not general discontent.

Thanks ever so much for writing it. I work in a library and intend to recommend your book to everyone. Even if they've only come in to use the photocopier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and a very English take on the self help genre!, 7 Jun 2011
I've tried reading a fair few of these "be happy" books over the last few years and normally I find them to be either full of new age mumbo jumbo or way too American in their "rah rah rah" style. So I started reading How to Do Everything and Be Happy with some trepidation.

However, it's actually a book that's perfect for anyone living a normal ordinary life who wants to make the most of every day. From the very first suggestion - Boxing Day, a day every month when you do whatever you want - through to setting goals and actually finding the time to achieve them, this book is full of ideas that you will really want to do, rather than airy fairy concepts that you know will never make it off the pages of the book. In fact, I actually found myself making lists and ordering noticeboards and doing everything in the book as I read it - rather than thinking, "Yeah yeah, I might do that one day ..."

Possibly the best part of book is the last section, where there's a summary of all the concepts the book throws up, along with easy checklists that help you put the concepts into action - because thinking positive is all well and good but it's actually doing stuff that makes happiness, well, happen!

Since reading the book I've already made a Now List and a Goals List and have started saving stuff for my Trophy Board ... and it's already made me happier!

Peter Jones writes in a lovely conversation style so he quickly feels like a friend, or perhaps that bloke down the pub or the gym who knows what he's talking about.

I've already recommended this book to my family and friends, my daughter has a copy, a friend has a copy and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get more out of life but doesn't think reading The Secret is the way it's going to happen ... this is real life ideas for real life happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars a little gem, 26 Feb 2014
this book is worth every penny and then some more. ive read a lot of self help books in my time but was never compelled to pick up a pen and work through the exercises. instead i would derive comfort from the words but not do anything to fix the imbalance in my life. not only is this book full of practical advice its delivery is in such a way that you almost feel bad if you dont stop to complete the action points at the end of the chapter. thanks to peter jones i am a lot more organised, feel that i have my life back in control and beginning to live and not merely function as i was previously doing. i only wish i could thank the author in person for awakening me from a self induced slumber!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Advise, 12 Jun 2012
Ang w "Avid Reader" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book certainly has been an eye opener. Peter kept be enthralled right to the last page. He approaches self help in a different way from other authors I have read. He had me laughing from start to finish and by the end reaching for my diary in order to start adding in the various days. I recommend this book for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some down to earth good sense, 9 Jun 2012
Lisa McS (Fife UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is an easy read down to earth and at times humorous guide to thinking about what really matters in your life and how to go about achieving it.
All right so after reading it, I still can't afford to leave my stressful job but at least I now have the tools in place to start working towards the day I can.