on 3 January 2012
I wouldn't say I'm an avid reader of self-help books but I have gone through quite a few get-organised-sort-yourself-out titles in the last few years. As I read some of them I would nod along at their common sense suggestions and think to myself "oh yes, very good idea, I must do that..." but strangely enough no action was ever taken.

I forget how I came across this book but I suspect I was looking for a guide on how to do everything, so achieving that AND being happy for the Kindle price of £1.99 seemed like quite good value. And indeed it was. For starters, unlike many self-help books out there, Peter Jones goes beyond telling you what you already know and actually includes - wait for it - original ideas! Now, they're not rocket science, but they are different so if you feel like you've tried everything then just give this book a try and you'll see what I mean.

Like many other books of this nature, there are action points, but in this case they are included in such as way that you actually feel compelled to do them! I genuinely stopped at the point where I was instructed to buy a diary and drove to a Staples store that evening to buy a Filofax. I NEVER do that sort of thing - in fact, normally if someone tells me to do something I tend to do the opposite.

I have now implemented most of the ideas from the book, and am combining them with David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology (as Peter Jones also suggests). As a result, I am more focused and have achieved more in the last few months than I have in the last few years! Originally I was focusing on my home life when I started reading the book, but actually I think there have been improvements to my work life too. My boss certainly thinks so!

The book is structured in a way that makes it easy to dip in and out of, with reminders and hints to keep you on track as you go along. It's also refreshing to have real-life examples from the author's own life, and you get the genuine impression that he just wants to share some ideas that he's used effectively. It's not patronising and at no point does he claim to be perfect himself!

Now seriously, just buy it. It costs less than £2 if you buy the Kindle copy - and that doesn't require you to have a Kindle, I have the Kindle software on my laptop and phone.

Enjoy doing everything and being happy!
on 14 September 2011
You have really got to love Peter! Not only did he write me a book I picked up just after I started really feeling the agony of depression and work stress, but he has even taken the time out to "chat" with me via Twitter and therefore providing ongoing support. He's like having my own guru!!

This book (kindle edition for me) is really really sensible advice. It does conflict with other self-help style books that I've read, but I'm now finding a happy balance between decluttering and having trophy space, keeping on top of the house and still giving myself the visual reminders that I need to remind me that it's not all bad and I CAN cope.

I always had a diary, but it didn't have everything in. Now it does, it's on my phone and it's synced to that of my husband, so there are no excuses for double bookings, "forgetting" essential housework or taking my me time. I have ticked off one thing on my Now List (which is also on Peter's as outstanding!) but I am finding it hard to set aside Now List and Wish List time, seperating the two and actually being able to progress anything on either without having any money. I have only managed two boxing days and I am learning how to make each one better (start by having them after rather than just before pay day) and I have been getting lots of "good for you" type comments from friends and family which really does reassure me that I needed something to remind me to think of myself more often.

Peter's writing style is humourous and friendly, like having a chat with your best mate over a pint, so it's easy to see where he's coming from and you find yourself replanning the way you do everything as you go through the book - two days!
on 4 July 2012
This book is a real breath of fresh air, written by an unpretentious and self-deprecating Englishman. The difference between this book and most other "improve your life" tomes is that Peter Jones explains the practicalities of how to change your life, starting with the first (simple but radical) step: you need a diary! Then, you need to schedule happiness-creating things into the diary. And you need to make sure the things you schedule will really make you happy. The challenges of all this are fully discussed - while most of us have a diary, we rarely make a full record of our commitments (doing so is eye-opening and a little overwhelming, but you have to know what you're up against), and we rarely schedule in time for ourselves.

Peter Jones also breaks with tradition by suggesting that the first special thing you put in your diary is a day of zero commitments: a so-called "Boxing Day". He understands the misery we create by flogging ourselves, and how we become detached from our own instincts and desires, so encourages a "letting go" before starting to schedule in more active things - the things we've always longed to do, and the goals we long to achieve. Goals actually come last in this book! It's great to read a self-help book that is fully in touch with reality.
on 8 August 2012
I am not normally into 'inspirational books' and must admit I fell into this one by accident as I was searching for a book by the other Peter Jones (the iconic businessman from Dragon's Den). However I liked what I read in the sample downloaded to my Kindle and decided to buy the full book. I am so glad I did, the ideas and plans put forward by Peter Jones are fantastic and some are so simple to do - simple that is if you had ever thought of them yourself which you wouldn't have done! Within a few chapters I had set up my personal diary electronically, made to do lists and set goals that I wanted to achieve. Yes I know we have all done this before and then promptly ignored or forgotten them. However the style of Peter Jones's writing is so fluid and down to earth, it is like he is actually sitting down with you having a conversation. Peter's suggestions and comments make you see all the ideas and plans in a different light. Yes I have an electronically diary for business meetings etc but the new personal diary I now have contains so much more personal information and the goals list has already inspired me to move my career into a possible different direction, which may also mean living in a different part of the country and out of the rut that I had fallen into.
So I fully recommend this book to everyone and am sure that all will gain something from it to enhance their own life, whether they ae looking for inspiration or just want a very good read. Go for it, what have you got to lose and everything to gain.
I will certainly be looking at other books etc by this Peter Jones!
on 26 February 2014
this book is worth every penny and then some more. ive read a lot of self help books in my time but was never compelled to pick up a pen and work through the exercises. instead i would derive comfort from the words but not do anything to fix the imbalance in my life. not only is this book full of practical advice its delivery is in such a way that you almost feel bad if you dont stop to complete the action points at the end of the chapter. thanks to peter jones i am a lot more organised, feel that i have my life back in control and beginning to live and not merely function as i was previously doing. i only wish i could thank the author in person for awakening me from a self induced slumber!
on 13 May 2012
Like other reviewer I really can't remember why I downloaded this book but it was the best thing I've done in a very long time. Others have explained the book, I just want to say that if you want to enjoy your life more but have no idea where to start buy this book NOW. Download a sample and you won't look back. No matter how busy or stressed you are he makes you find a few minutes in your life each week to focus on YOU and gradually you come to realise how important YOU are. He writes in a witty and comforting style that makes you chuckle and you will enjoy the journey - I have recommended this book to several people who have also had their lives enhanced by it - thank you Peter.
on 17 February 2013
I've bought quite a lot of self help books over the years, partly as I'm interested in this genre and also in the hope that they might make me more organised, productive, happier and fulfilled. Most of them I have to say are unfinished. I always start them but something always stops me from finishing them. This has not been the case with this book. I have just finished it and not only do I feel more motivated and organised (and yes, happier with myself), I know I am!
This is a very easy and fun to read book. Peters humour is obvious throughout the book and this is one aspect that makes it enjoyable to read.
It's easy to follow, is full of really great, sensible and practical suggestions. In fairness most of the ideas and suggestions are things I've read about, heard about or thought about before in some form, but like most who will be reading this, those ideas are still very vague and had not yet been put into practice. This book really helps you to translate those ideas into practical solutions, with some interesting and quirky new twists.
There's a great website and Facebook page to accompany the book so the process is an ongoing one (if you want it to be).
I have no hesitation in recommending this book.
on 12 June 2012
This book certainly has been an eye opener. Peter kept be enthralled right to the last page. He approaches self help in a different way from other authors I have read. He had me laughing from start to finish and by the end reaching for my diary in order to start adding in the various days. I recommend this book for anyone.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2012
This is an easy read down to earth and at times humorous guide to thinking about what really matters in your life and how to go about achieving it.
All right so after reading it, I still can't afford to leave my stressful job but at least I now have the tools in place to start working towards the day I can.
on 22 January 2012
I bought this book because it had 5 star reviews, and I've given it one myself - basically, it has taught me that I'm already happy, whcih is great for me. The tips he offers are basic but really good. Keeping a diary, taking an unplanned day for yourself are all beneficial. The only thing I don't do that is in this book is to make a "montage" as I'm a neat freak - but I'm sure others would enjoy this.

I found the sense of humour great, but then I'm British aswell. I flew through the book in a few days as it's easy to read. A great self-help book!