1,874 Reviews
 (1,469)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated
Published on 5 Jan 2002 by rachellaird@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the actual story and kindle edition.
Firstly I was not aware the book was meant for children when I bought it becuse I found it in the Fantasy section expecting to find adult books. However this was my mistake so I will bear in mind this is a childrens book for the review.

Published on 12 Jan 2012 by Eric Blair

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the actual story and kindle edition., 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Kindle Edition)

The book is easy to read, with a very linear and predictable story which makes it great for children I suppose. There are many parts though where it was very dull; it took chapters to leave Bilbo's home and it felt like a lifetime to leave the jungle where the lights keep turning off. Another major issue is the names of the 13 Dwarves; they were very similar and although a novelty at first it was difficult to distinguish between them except for Thorin the leader. In addition they never actually do anything for the story untilthe end... quite pointless really.

The Kindle edition was top quality. No mistakes, misprints or errors and the images were helpful and the links were in working order. There are no complaints with the Kindle edition or it's layout.

Overall for me I would give the actual book 2* for my personal opinion, 4* for children. For the many who have already enjoyed the book and disagree with my opinion, who wish to know if it is worth getting on Kindle I would definitely recommend the edition. Personally i cannot understand the hype around the Hobbit but I hope the film will be better suited for adults as there is apparently a large adult audience due to the great impact LOR had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, 5 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Hobbit (Hardcover)
I decided to invest in this classic but I wasn't sure which edition to buy; the boxed set or the one book. I love hardback books, especially slightly oversized and I'm glad I decided to buy this one. The dust cover advertises the beautiful illustrations inside. It also has embossed gold foil writing and at the top and bottom the foil backed Runes. The bottle green hardback is gold embossed on the spine, and depicts in gold the Smaug (dragon) on the front. Inside you will find at the front Thror's map and at the back a map of Wilderland, to guide you through the journey of the heroes, whilst reading the book.
The pages are generously sized, clear and beautifully illustrated with Alan Lee's drawings in pencil and full colour throughout (I wish it had the old tissue paper covering the illustrations of bygone days!). There is also a Lord of the Rings edition in the same format. It is beneficial to read the Hobbit before the Lord of the Rings.
The Hobbit describes the adventures of a friendly, roughly 3 foot 6 hobbit called Bilbo. He is volunteered into an adventure beyond the scope of most hobbit's lives by a kindly old family friend, Gandalf the wizard. His journey is also initiated and accompanied by fourteen dwarves. Bilbo's contract is to steal the treasure back for the dwarves, stolen and held by Smaug the Magnificent. Smaug is a large and very perilous dragon. Bilbo even surprises himself by becoming a hero, despite his slight size. This is an enchanting book; Tolkien has a rare gift in creating books which capture the imagination of any age. It is beautifully written, comical, imagination stretching but with the skillfulness of convincing the reader that the story is factual and passing over a great empathy, tugging at the reader's heartstrings over the adventure's endearing characters. A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very big adventure, 17 Nov 2005
Sally-Anne "mynameissally" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The respectable Mr Bilbo Baggins, was extremely content and comfortable in his cosy little hobbit hole. He really didn't want an adventure so the wizard, Gandalf, had to trick him into joining the party of dwarves and helping them to recover their kingdom and their treasure from the dragon, Smaug. It was a dark and dangerous quest that took them through the realms of elves, orcs, eagles, a skin-changer, giant spiders and men, via mountains, caves and forests. Bilbo lost his buttons and his handkerchiefs but he found an amazing ring, made some wonderful life-long friends and learned what sort of person he was - not timid after all, but brave, hardy and resourceful when in a tight spot.
It's been one of my favourite stories since I first heard it, many years ago. It was read to our class in about 1961. Since then I've read it several times, listened to the BBC Radio 4 dramatisation of it, listened to Martin Shaw's excellent abridged reading and now I've listened to this unabridged reading by Rob Inglis. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's true that this version does seem to have been read with the younger listener in mind, but I didn't find the character voices excessively exaggerated. It's a matter of personal taste, where you draw the line, of course. I will certainly listen to both the Rob Inglis (for the full story, beautifully told) and Martin Shaw (for a more adult orientated reading) audiobooks again and again. The BBC dramatisation (this is where I draw the line) is aimed squarely at the youngest audience however, and I would not want to listen to that production again. I've also listened to Rob Inglis reading the unabridged audiobook of Lord of the Rings, where he employs a more serious tone. After enjoying that enormously - and satisfied that he'd done Tolkien's great legend full justice - I knew I wanted to hear him reading The Hobbit. I was not disappointed and would have no hesitation in recommending this unabridged version to anyone who likes listening to stories.
As a previous reviewer has mentioned, it would have been good to have a map with the audiobook. I referred to the one in my copy of the book, which I can now visualise in any case after so many readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 8 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Hardcover)
The Hobbit along with The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien in my opinion must be one of the best books ever written. I thought to myself is it worth spending 60 on this special edition though. However when I received it I knew it was money well spent. The quality of the book is amazing as they have used good quality paper which is brilliant white and means the text is crisp and clear unlike the majority of books. Also the colour illustrations are of superb print quality, not forgetting Thror's Map which folds out and changes when held to the light, altogether there are 18 illustrations all well worth it. There is even a ribbon page marker which is a pleasant rarity in modern books. The only thing I think they could have improved on, in my opinion, is the cover which is very plain and doesn't do much for the book.
So, although a bit expensive, I think that once you have this book you won't regret buying it and will want to buy The Lord of The Rings which has also been published in this special edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tolkien's classic, but with a little bit of added magic!, 5 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit Gift Pack (Hardcover)
This is the timeless classic of J.R.R. Tolkiens' 'The Hobbit', the story is a timeless tale of Hobbits, wizards, Dwarves and dragons. The tale will keep you entertained for years. The added bonus of this pack is the C.D. of Tolkien reading the first encounter with Gollum. This is just wonderful as you start to imagine what Tolkien was creating, and the different charcters' actions within the book. The extras also include an illustrated map, and limited postcards which are colourful and excluive to this pack. I recommend this pack to all collectors of Tolkien, but also to new commers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 29 Oct 2000
By A Customer
As audio books go, this does an excellent job, since such a book, I imagine, would prove very difficult to adapt into another media type since everyone who has read the book has a different perception, for example, of what a goblin or what a hobbit looks like, or more relevantly, sounds like.
It has an extremely able and experienced cast, which includes internationally acclaimed actors such as Alec Guiness, which provides and adds to the quality of this production.
I am one who grew up with Tolkien's books, and this audio book strengthened and extended my already preconceived ideas about the contents of Middle Earth, as it gave me an idea of the music and the way in which people spoke.
Above all, this audio book gave me a new insight into the world of Tolkien, and does an amazing job in keeping the themes of the book clear and strong, and remains loyal to its contents throughout.
This is a fantastic adaption of the breathtaking book, and every Tolkien fan must have it, but so should anyone who simply just wants a good audio book to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The well-read Hobbit, 17 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Hobbit (Audio CD)
Our teacher read The Hobbit to us over the course of a few of weeks when we were about seven. It's one of the few stories that stuck in my imagination from those early school days - four decades ago. Our teacher was good at reading stories. She could mesmerise us. I wouldn't expect Martin Shaw to be anywhere near as competent as that teacher. I would have been satisfied if he'd been half as good. Well, he was much better than I was expecting. He was good! The right reading style for this book is really a matter of taste and opinion. Martin Shaw's reading hit the spot for me. He conjured up different characters with different voices - all realistic and none exaggerated. I closed my eyes and I was there, with Bilbo and the dwarves.
I have listened to the BBC Radio Collection's dramatised version of The Hobbit and didn't like it at all. It was clearly produced for the younger audience and I shouldn't complain about that because, of course, The Hobbit is a children's book. I've heard that the unabridged reading by Rob Inglis is also aimed at the younger listener (though I'd like to hear it before making a judgement). I'm an adult (oh yes I am!) and this version, read by Mr Shaw, met with my total satisfaction because even though I enjoy some children's literature, I still want to be read to as an adult.
There is no mention on the CD case of the person responsible for abridging the tale, but I would like to congratulate that person for doing an excellent job. I had to check that I was actually listening to the abridged version because it seemed so complete and seamless.
I recommend this audiobook. It's one of the best I've heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars A window to another world, 12 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
This book first introduced me to Tolkiens Middle Earth at the age of eight - and I still enjoy reading it. "In a hole, in the ground, there lived a Hobbit." Easy in reading style, with a well thought plot to follow it is undoubtedly a children's book rather than an adults book - but it provides an easy entry to the Lord of the Rings, which is Tolkien's great masterpiece. It suffers slightly from a simplistic and somewhat formulaic plot, and is slightly inconsistent, but the hints and peeks into the events of the Elder days, the Gondolin wars and mighty deeds that were done show the true scope of the epic saga that awaits. Worth reading as a entree - this is a book every child, and adult should read at least once, and ahving read this, progress onwards!

3.0 out of 5 stars Martin Shaw Narration of The Hobbit (Abridged), 19 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Hobbit (Audio CD)
This audio version of The Hobbit tells the first tale of Bilbo's adventures with his trusted Dwarf companions and of course Gandalf. It tells the tale of their journey to gain wealth and treasure and all of the dangers they experience along the way. It more importantly tells how Bilbo comes across "The Ring" and its affects on him. From this the follow up story of The Lord of the Rings was eventually told (The three part unabridged versions are available on both tape and CD format, read by Rob Inglis)
This audio book is very well abridged, although there is an unabridged version narrated by Rob Inglis for those of you who would prefer the complete version, rather than this 6 hour shortened version.
Martin Shaw reads this tale well, but I do have to say that his voice does lack some enthusiasm in my opinion. I would much prefer to listen to Rob Inglis voice and his characterisations.
It is not a requirement, but I would recommend reading (or listening) to The Hobbit before going onto reading the Lord of the Rings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as Stephen Fry!, 28 Dec 2003
Rob Inglis does a riveting, lively reading of The Hobbit. Don't be put off by other reviews commenting on the fact that he sounds like he is reading for children - after all, Tolkien intended it to be a book for children! But of course, as with many books intended for children, the story is just as much a favourite with grownups. I would thoroughly recommend this audio book for both young and old.
Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that the package does not include the author's maps (an essential feature of fantasy stories!) or a list of chapters (the index lists all the tracks by number and duration but does not show which chapter starts at which track).

The Hobbit
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2013)
16.00