5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's a Carson Ryder at his Best!
Carson Ryder has left his old playgrounds in Alabama and - sorry for that one - Harry Nautilus behind and faces new challenges on the sunny beaches of Florida's panhandle...

At a special Miami-based force he is the new one, the one no one seems to know or to achnowledge his former efforts to bring the bad boys, especially serial killers, down.
Here, as a...
Published 12 months ago by miki101.Michaela

3.0 out of 5 stars have all his books and enjoyed each and every one of them
I'm a huge Kerley fan, have all his books and enjoyed each and every one of them.
The dead box however, I found a tad disappointing.
It lacked Kerley's special style, which makes his books so enjoyable to read, and from time to time through the story I had some trouble staying interested and found my mind wandering.
Ít was still a good book though,...
Published 5 months ago by Renée

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's a Carson Ryder at his Best!, 23 Dec 2013

Here, as a specialist in twisted crimes, Ryder thought he'd seen even the lowest levels of human depravity. But then he is called to a horrific scene: a concrete pillar built of human remains, their agony forever frozen in stone...
The reader - as Carson - is caught in a maze of human traffikkers who operate in Miami but have their web all over the States. In the meantime, while Carson and the CSI are trying to work the mess of the concrete deads out, a young Honduran girl is trying to keep her dignity and her liberty, but soon it will come clear to her that her life is on the stake, nothing less!
So Carson is trying to save her, a ticking time bomb for the bad guys, but the key person to Ryder's riddle...

Ziggy Gerswhin as the new sidekick of Carson is even too smart and well done for a second in command. I hope to read more about him. It is him who introduces Carson Ryder to a few very helpful friends, has a lot of fresh ideas and - as all the rookies - is trying to get himself killed :)
The bad boys are almost incredibly creepy. They hide themselves so well, it is a lot of work to unearth them. Like worms in the underground they have some kind of honeycomb system which is very hard to detect and to remove...

A cameo of Jeremy this time, too. I hope to see more of him in the future.
Because I will always follow Jack Kerley, because even a weak Carson Ryder novel is better than many so-called first-class thrillers.
It's the special way Jack Kerley breaths life into his characters and is also able to take this very one from them.
Highly recommended for those who love their thrillers off the beaten paths, like me :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of scene for Carson Ryder, 29 Aug 2014
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Death Box (Carson Ryder, Book 10) (Paperback)
I’m currently relishing catching up with this series, after somehow overlooking the last two releases- The Memory Killer (published in June) is next on the list. In a change of direction, Detective Carson Ryder has upped sticks and moved from the sultry climes of his native Mobile in Alabama to Miami, as part of the team of consulting specialists at the Florida Centre for Law Enforcement. His reputation as a man in tune with the mental processes of the most dark and depraved criminal minds, has paved the way for his inclusion in this new team, leaving behind some of the stalwart characters of the series to date. As Ryder navigates his way in his new home (a temporary palatial beach side residence appropriated from an incarcerated crime lord), a new job, and a fairly unwelcoming team of detectives overseen by a scheming and slippery boss, Roy McDermott, the scene is set for a whole new chapter in Ryder’s life. However, I was delighted to discover that Ryder’s escaped psychotic brother Jeremy makes a welcome appearance, to aid the continuity of the sharp change in direction of the series…

What I love about Kerley’s writing is the instant shock factor that unerringly drives his books. The opening to this one is particularly harrowing, with a container full of illegal immigrants arriving in Miami, with the majority of them dead, or close to death. As the plot progresses, Kerley provides an insight into the horrific nature of human trafficking and the awful fate that awaits them (in particular the women) as the overseers of this lucrative business, treat them no better than chattels to be exploited and used. The discovery of the concrete pillar of human remains is particularly poignant and unsettling, and immediately appeals to the crusading and humane nature of Ryder, to identify this people and bring their killers to justice. As Ryder pursues the traffickers, and a young girl who has escaped their clutches, what follows is a violent and breathless thriller, that will shock and delight in equal measure. The plot is well executed, as Kerley has an innate skill at controlling the pace and measure of his storylines, and I found this difficult to put down, despite the sometimes more graphic and disturbing elements of the narrative, but what I think Kerley has achieved most successfully is the intergration of Ryder into a new team and locale.

The character of Ryder is pretty much played to form as a bit of a loner with a strong moral core, and not afraid to kick some butts when the occasion arises. I like the moral integrity he displays, and although I’m entirely familiar with him as a character, I enjoy the sense of familiarity that each book brings. In most crime thrillers, a main character is only as successful as those that surround him, and although this book lacks the larger life sidekick of Harry Nautilus (from the Alabama based books) Kerley has quickly established a strong base to work from, and Ryder’s new youthful partner Ziggy Gershwin may come to fill Harry’s big shoes! Ryder’s new boss Roy McDermott is a somewhat Machievellian character despite his outwardly cheerful disposition and the team of detectives, that are initially so suspicious of Ryder, certainly have room for development individually. I also liked the prickly and focused Chief Forensic Examiner, Vivian Morningstar, who delivers her barbed asides like an evil Cupid. As I said previously, Ryder’s errant brother Jeremy also makes an appearance to keep us grounded in the previous series, so all in all this a welcome conglomeration of old and new. A good read once again from Kerley and can’t wait to get started on The Memory Killer…

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot yet again!, 20 April 2014
somnus "somnus" (Cambes Lot et Garonne France) - See all my reviews
Yet again J.A Kerley has written a fast paced juicy novel. This author never lets me down. A great read with good dialogue, nice descriptions of the mangroves and the area where Carson Ryder now lives. (Florida). Quite violent in parts, but it makes for edge of the seat stuff. Characters are well rounded and the story is actually fairly believable, knowing the depravity of the human race.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would have no hesitation in recommending it if you enjoy a thriller and have a strong stomach!
My only disappointment is that the prices of his latest novels mean that I won't be reading them but returning to the newer authors whose downloads are more reasonably priced. Would be interested in hearing others comments on the cost of some of the downloads of the more well know authors!

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 3 Feb 2014
I. B. Pitbladdo "jacandian" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've read all Jack Kerley's Carson Ryder novels and they are all excellent. This story is a great read involving illegal immigrants, murder and prostitution. Ryder is a well developed and likeable character but I have to say I miss the inclusion of his colourful partner Harry Nautilus.
If you're new to Jack Kerley get your hands on his first novel 'The Hundredth Man' and work your way through his subsequent work I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read the series give it a go!, 30 Jan 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I’ve been reading about Carson Ryder since around the halfway mark with book 5 (this is book 10 in the series). Carson Ryder books are incredibly readable (if you know what I mean). They may not be books that have a major impact at the time, but there is something about this series which keeps me (and plenty of others) coming back for more. This book however is by far my favourite and was an absolutely fantastic read. Carson is a pretty cool character and his old partner Harry was also a favourite of mine. However, Carson has moved on and is now in a new town down in the Florida Keys. It almost has a ‘fresh start’ feel to it, which certainly makes the book seem fresh even though this is now the tenth book in the series.

With Harry no longer by his side, I wondered whether anybody else would make an appearance. Sure enough when Carson gets drafted into a new Specialist team he is paired up with the least likely of people. Ziggy Gershwin appears to be a nerdy college type of kid that initially seems fresh out of nappies. Thankfully the pairing worked brilliantly and I found myself hoping this is the start of a new pairing. Carson and Ziggy end up getting drafter into a case that takes them into the very dark world of human trafficking. The bad guys were suitably bad, the storyline twisted enough to keep you turning the pages, and the characters are now so real to me I feel like I need to meet them!!!

Something seems to have shifted with this latest book and it’s all good. If you haven’t read any of the previous books, although not necessary I think it helps give you the background of Carson and his brother Jeremy. I can’t say too much (for fear of spoilers), but for those who have kept up with the series, we only see Jeremy for the briefest time. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that Jack Kerley has special things planned for book 11! I find it hard to believe that many people haven’t heard of J A Kerley, and if you are one of those people, yu may want to take notice. Kerley is a very talented author who has created a fantastic series that keeps you interested. The storylines are all great and there is no ‘padding things out’ just for the sake of word count. I am so pleased that I am up to date with the series and cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. A brilliant read that I didn’t want to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Carson, 15 Dec 2013
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Carson is on the hunt for people traffickers, his first case after his move to Miami. This is a fresh direction in a long running series which I have been.reading since the start. It works well as a stand alone as the salient backstory points are filled in neatly and are not overly stressed for us series readers. The plot is not overly complicated as it follows the story of Leala, a trafficked Honduran, and Carson's investigation but there are enough twists and turns to keep you in "just another chapter" mode. The characterisation is good. Carson is an unambiguously good guy and his new sidekick Ziggy looks like he will be a good laugh when he gets going. The narration style is easy and laid back so the whole package comes to 5 stars for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Change of scenery for Carson., 8 Dec 2013
Carson Ryder has left Alabama and Harry Nautilus for the sunny climes of Miami. He thrust into a dark case of human trafficking. As usual with Kerley he slow unpeels the case, adding a few layers inbetween.
The characters are well done, to a degree. Some felt a bit plain and weak. Carson's new sidekick Ziggy Gerswhin is fully fleshed-out and likeable.
The antagonists are dark, and incredibly creepy. While the story is good, and paced well it does suffer from a couple of clichés especially the end which I spotted a mile off. That kind of annoyed me that the ending was so unoriginal. Without giving plot lines away, there are few clever plot devices and the prose is good, if overdone in some places. One person from Carson's past does reappear in the book, but it doesn't act as a spoiler.
I hope Kerley intends to have a few more cases for Carson in Miami as I'd like to see more of the people Carson interacted with.

3.0 out of 5 stars have all his books and enjoyed each and every one of them, 8 July 2014
Renée (Coventry UK) - See all my reviews
The dead box however, I found a tad disappointing.
Ít was still a good book though, just not a good as the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Ms. B. Cohen "dellsmum" (dellsmum) - See all my reviews
Simply superb as usual

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 25 Jun 2014
enjoyed it, I have read a most of the carson ryder books, so this was on parr with all the others

The Death Box (Carson Ryder, Book 10)
The Death Box (Carson Ryder, Book 10) by J. A. Kerley (Paperback - 5 Dec 2013)