1,534 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite brilliant
For once this is a novel which justifies the publisher's hyperbolic claims - it really is terrific. I found it utterly engrossing, readable, funny, enlightening and very moving.

Published 21 months ago by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read
The Shock of the Fall was a fast-paced, interesting look at a family tragedy and it's repercussions through the eyes of mental illness. Whilst it was an insight into a chaotic and troubled mind of the young narrator Matthew, the story itself didn't have much intreague or compexity. I thought it was a good read but not amazing.
Published 12 months ago by Elle B

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite brilliant, 28 Jun. 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is the story of Matthew, a young man who suffers from schizophrenia. It is narrated by Matthew himself and one of the most striking things about the book is the brilliant authenticity of his narrative voice. I am no expert on schizophrenia, but to this layman it felt and sounded utterly convincing, shifting in tone according to his medication and whether he is taking it, capturing things like Matthew's anger, wit, bitterness and sadness with remarkable vividness and painting an unforgettable picture of the things which happen to him. It took me right inside that young man's head and gave me a wholly believable picture and understanding of what he is going through and why he behaves as he does.

The story is superbly told. The structure is fragmented as Matthew writes in various places and states of mind and we get his history woven into descriptions of what is going on as he writes. Again, this is excellently done and really adds to the feel and sense of the book rather than just being a novelistic trick. Other characters and places are brilliantly painted and he captures (and sometimes excoriates) the language and types of speech of others (especially medical staff) extremely well. I found the whole thing compelling in that way where I felt very glad to have half an hour free to read some more.

I think there's always a worry with a book like this that it is using a Big Subject and a Clever Narrative Voice to market a mediocre novel. This does nothing of the kind: it avoids mawkishness, it is never sentimental and it treats its subject with respect even when being very funny about it. The whole thing is intelligent, honest and compassionate.

Comparisons with Mark Haddon are inevitable. This is a different story from The Curious Case but I genuinely think it is as good - and I know that's really saying something. This is one of the most involving and memorable books I have read for quite some time. Very, very warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 May 2013
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When reading at the weekend, I have some rules - I can read before getting up, but must not sit down with it again until after lunch. With this wonderful book, I tore up the rulebook and read it in one glorious sitting.

I was absolutely fascinated by this story narrated by Matthew Homes, a teenager suffering with mental illness in the wake of the sudden death of his brother Simon. For a difficult read in terms of subject matter, this is an easy and flowing read - a strange comment maybe, with the fragmented time frame, the different typefaces, and the dips into and out of Matt's mental illness, but it was all accomplished so effortlessly. There are lovely touches of humour, acute observations about life and human behaviour, and a set of exceptionally well drawn subsidiary characters.

I particularly liked Matt's parents - the tableau presented of them sitting as a family watching Eastenders, the father's awkwardness with his "mon ami" greeting and secret handshake, and the mother's attempts at home schooling after Simon's death (where Matt was forced to make deliberate mistakes to get her attention). His grandmother, Nanny Noo, is also a wonderful creation - calling at Matt's every other Thursday, cooking pasta bake, smoking one of her menthol cigarettes from the kitchen drawer, and already familiar with mental illness elsewhere in the family. I also loved the use of letters - Denise's attempts to get Matt to attend his medical appointments, and particularly the wonderful invitations.

It's hard to believe this is a first novel, so accomplished is the writing - but from hearing the author interviewed on Simon Mayo's Book Club, I know this book was a long time in the conception and writing, and that he continues to work as a mental health nurse. An incredibly moving read, and very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
I saw this book in a book review in a magazine and thought I'd give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading the novel.

It's striking and quirky, the novel is written from the point of view of the main character and it allows the reader to really see into the depths of his character and how he was able to spiral into mental illness. I thought the way that the author depicted this downturn into his character to make him end up in an mental unit was well expressed and clear. The guilt that he felt about his brothers death was touching and the way that the scenes after his death and how his family went on living were really sad and very realistic.

One of the reasons why I think it is so effective is that the author previously worked as a mental health nurse so he was able to impart specialised knowledge of dealing with people with mental illness and mental deterioration.

I loved this book and am so glad that I took a chance on it and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful combination of poignancy and humour, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
I’m not someone who always reads book prize winners, or necessarily enjoys them if I do; judges look for slightly different things than I do, I suppose. But Nathan Filer’s 2013 Costa Book of the Year is both prize-worthy and very readable.

I didn’t know much about the book before reading it – the blurb doesn’t give much away and I trusted a recommendation without reading any online reviews – and it’s one of those where the pleasure comes in part from the suspense and from uncovering its layers in good time. So I’m going to try and review it without saying too much about the story itself.

What I will say is that this is a sensitive, touching novel that achieves that difficult combination of poignancy and humour with apparent ease. It is a story that touches on parent-child relationships and sibling bonds, on mental health issues, on disability and on the nature of grief. It touches on all of these without becoming heavy-handed, contrived or trite. It made me want to cry on seemingly every other page without ever actually causing me to shed a tear – I can’t quite articulate why this feels like an achievement, but it does.

The narrative in The Shock of the Fall is, for me, its stand-out feature. Matthew’s voice is distinctive and real, and endearing even as it is confusing. It takes a little time to get to grips with what is present-day narrative, what is recent memory and what is more distant flashback, and I’d suggest reading this in paperback as I did a fair bit of flicking backwards and forwards to re-orient myself. Rather than being frustrating, though, this really helps to get inside Matthew’s head. I also love that Matthew acknowledges that his memory is often flawed (first person narratives so often pretend that this isn’t the case, when we all know that memory is rarely accurate); the very fact that his narrative is unreliable makes it more real and more impactful. The emotional connection is strengthened even further by Matthew directly addressing the reader – he tells you he thinks you’ll like his brother, he helps you get to know his Nanny Noo, he apologises for repeating himself – and adopting at times a very confessional tone.

Nathan Filer takes a creative approach to his narrative, making use of different fonts (depending on where Matthew is typing his story), other views (in the form of letters), and illustrations. In the author interview at the back of the paperback edition, he describes Matthew’s story as a ‘crumpled stack of writings and drawings … waiting to be found’ rather than as a neatly bound book. While he couldn’t realise his dream of everyone reading Matthew’s story in raw manuscript form, some of his narrative choices really bring to life that sense of a manuscript that is part stream-of-consciousness and part planned narrative. Added to this is the charming humour that Matthew brings to what is unquestionably a sad tale.

Matthew, though, is not the only noteworthy character in The Shock of the Fall. The secondary characters are equally vivid, real and complex; nobody is perfect and nobody is caricature-flawed. I found Matthew’s mother Susan particularly interesting. Her grief is never addressed head-on, but is ever-present and plays a huge role in Matthew’s own story. I found his relationship with her – charted from the day before the central tragedy, through home-schooling and health concerns, to the present day – really moving. His father is not quite so significant a character in terms of shaping the path of Matthew’s life, in my opinion, but again it is a moving and bittersweet relationship as they valiantly attempt to keep the little things stable without ever really addressing the big things. I was glad for Matthew that he had his grandmother (Nanny Noo) as a relatively constant and unchanging presence in his life. She is a lovely character, bringing a real warmth to the novel as she does to Matthew’s life.

I’ve read many comparisons of The Shock of the Fall to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, and if we’re just looking at subject matter it’s perhaps also similar to The Silver Linings Playbook and 600 Hours of Edward. But I’d more strongly recommend this to fans of The Fault In Our Stars and Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away – both of which also tackle sensitive, tragic subjects with grace and careful humour. It is perhaps not quite such a young adult read, like The Fault In Our Stars, but I say that because of the slightly more confusing and complex structure and narrative, which doesn’t give much away explicitly and makes it a slightly harder read, rather than because of the story itself.

This is definitely one I’ll be recommending. I’d also recommend reading the author interview. I usually do anyway, but often find them a bit boring, predictable or pretentious. In this case, I really enjoyed the insight offered by Nathan Filer into the writing of this lovely book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 30 Mar. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Curious Dog for grown ups, 28 Feb. 2014
An excellent insight into an individual's struggles with mental health issues underscored by a mystery plot worked backwards. Clearly written by someone with close dealings with the issues surrounding modern mental health care, it doesn't pull any punches. I likes the creative use of fonts to create and sustain mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning.., 15 Feb. 2014
Mel R "MAR" (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
I was totally gripped by this book from page 1. The story seems simple...a journey through mental illness..sounds dire?? Not at all!! The writers style is beautiful, full of pathos and humour and pithy philosophical insights. Lots of quotes to highlight. Recommended without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly orignal landmark novel, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
Absolutely engrossing from the very first page. Filer writes very clearly about the bewildering complexity of schizophrenia, guilt and bereavement which is a staggering feat for a writer. You find yourself gradually immersed in Matthew's altered perception of reality which makes this such an utterly, compelling work of fiction. It's nostril-flaringly funny, but with moments which are profoundly moving, yet without being corny. There are no boring bits too - every sentence on the page lends clarity to characterisation and plotline. For me, Filer ranks as high as other writers in the literary canon like Kurt Vonnegut, Hilary Mantel or Jean Rhys for skillfully offering the reader an insight into mental health issues. No other novel I have read so far features, all at one time, a character with trisomy 21 (Down's syndrome), the experiences of a young carer and his mum, or the demise of the NHS. For this, I salute Nathan Filer for bringing us the new and the 'now' - The Shock of the Fall is definitely one to tell the grandchildren about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read well worth a try, 20 Jan. 2015
Wasn't too sure what to expect when I started reading this- I obtained it first of all as a free kindle sample- but I'm really glad i gave it a go as it's an excellent little book.

Ever since Mark Haddon's 'Curious Dog' there's been a growing genre of fiction dealing with the mental and physical afflictions of young people and how they deal with the world and events thrust unexpectedly upon them, to the point now I think of over-saturation. This however is an intelligent, well-conceived and executed tale of one boy, Matthew, who in one of those unforeseen moments loses his Down's Syndrome suffering brother in a holiday accident and, of course, the book focuses on how Matthew- suffering from his own mental health issues- deals with the aftermath of that tragedy.

Where the author succeeds the most I think, is creating believable, human characters in real, day-to-day situations,and from that extracting some real, affecting art. A great read and well worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
When hubby and I were renovating the money pit we now call home we got to know a fair few local tradesmen. A year later we bought an investment flat and mostly asked the same tradesmen back again. In the meantime one of their wives had self-immolated. Even typing it gives me goose bumps. There I am, standing in a soon-to-be-kitchen, while a man I barely know tells me how one evening he was watching tv with his wife, their two kids tucked up in bed, when she says she thinks she’ll go for a walk (she’s been stuck at home with the kids all day). She walks to a petrol station, buys a can of petrol and a box of matches (you’re not committing hari-kari are you love, jokes the attendant); then walks across the railway track to waste-ground, douses herself with petrol, and strikes a match – so the police tell him later that evening. His wife was schizophrenic and (secretly) had stopped taking her medication.

Why would anyone choose to kill themselves in such a horrific way? I can’t even begin to imagine what was going through her mind; how a schizophrenic might think.

Nathan Filer, on the other hand, can imagine it (though as a registered mental health nurse, he has a professional advantage). The Shock of the Fall, his debut novel and winner of the Costa Book of the Year in 2011, is narrated by Matthew Homes, a teenage schizophrenic who communes with his dead brother, Simon.

The book explores issues of grief and mental health, and Filer sets out his stall from the start: Matt’s self-loathing, Simon’s continuing presence. “I should say that I am not a nice person,” is the opening line, and a few pages later of Simon that, “in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.”

But this is more than an ‘issues’ novel. The reader is drawn into Matt’s world. The first person narration is important, of course, because we experience everything directly from Matt’s perspective. And there’s the central premise of the novel, which is that Matt is physically typing the story, a premise/process complemented by the novel’s graphical layout: a change of location signalled by a change of font; traditional typeface interweaved with ‘handwriting’ and images; and ‘distractions’ in the form of hospital letters and definitions of medical conditions.

By the end we have come to understand Matt. We understand how he can “get used to having Simon around. It takes time to adjust, and time to adjust when he’s gone,” we understand the story is not “a keepsake” so much as his way of “finding a way to let go;” most of all we understand that we “don’t know the ending” to the story – Matt’s story – because for him “it’s a beginning.”

For more reviews visit whatcathyread.wordpress.com

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer (Paperback - 7 Jan. 2014)