5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Bell Between Worlds (The Mirror Chronicles) (Hardcover)
I enjoyed every page and word of this book, felt lost when I came to the end, looking forward to the next installment,

5.0 out of 5 stars wanting to follow the bell, 24 May 2013
What an enticing start - can't wait until this book's publication. I am there, with Sylas in Gabblety Row and want to know where the path is going to take us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bell Between Worlds, 9 Jun 2013
The Bell Between Worlds (The Mirror Chronicles)
What a great book to spend some time away from everyday reality with! It has the quality of the best of this genre, with some intriguing and clever riddles to be solved by the young hero, who doesn't know where he is or why he is there, yet discovers he knows more than he knows he knows, if you'll excuse the twistiness of my expression. Having got it, I just couldn't put it down. A very gripping and visually rich narrative, which has left me wishing the next books were out already.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bell Between Worlds, 5 Jun 2013
Mrs. H. Rosser (UK) - See all my reviews
The first in The Mirror Chronicles trilogy, this novel takes the reader on a journey through a parallel world where magic and science are interwoven. The Ravel Runes of the ancient Samarok hold the key to understanding the connection between our two worlds. Rich in description with believable characters, the epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter give intriguing glimpses of how the story continues because `at journey's end is another just beginning'. I am already looking forward to reading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new big thing - or it should be!, 12 Jun 2014
This is such a fantastic book! I think everyone should read it. It is like Harry Potter, but better..... Seriously seriously good. The imagination of the author is just incredible – I cannot wait for the next instalment in the trilogy....
I am an adult but it is definitely a fantastic read for children too and I am recommending it to everyone I know!

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly compelling, 23 May 2014
E. Jones "a seeker" (UK) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, couldn't put it down, and did little else while reading it in a few days. It is beautifully written by someone who clearly loves fantasy and the possibilities of mixing two worlds in a story. I enjoyed it so much, I immediately contacted a 13-yr-old ex-pupil of mine to tell him to get it, as I know he would love it. I look forward to the second part and predict I'll have to put everything aside again and just enjoy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 April 2014
What a brilliant book. I couldn't put it down. The Bell Between Worlds is now one of my all time favourite books.
I am so looking forward to reading book two!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very promising start to this trilogy., 28 Aug 2013
Orphan Sylas Tate is transported from a fairly miserable and lonely life with his uncle in the crooked, gothic Gabbelty Row, to the Other - an alternative world full of magic, monsters and as it turns out, answers about his mother and his own special nature. This is the first in a trilogy and like all major fantasy works, requires some time for world building before the action really heats up. I found the plot to be a bit like a dynamo, winding up slowly until it reached a whirr of high adventure at its conclusion.

The book itself is beautifully written, with descriptions that easily bring Sylas' world to life and draw the reader into the story. The magical world of the Other is lovingly crafted, with its own magical rules, peoples and history, leaving me curious to learn more about both it and the interesting characters who Sylas meets along the way. I'm very keen to see what happens to Sylas next. Keep 'em coming Ian.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silas discovers a new world in his quest to uncover the truth about his mother.., 15 July 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Perhaps it was just me but I felt the first half differed from the second in writing style. The first was very descriptive and extensive in regards to character and worldbuilding. The second was very quick paced and almost hyperactive in nature.
At times the story seemed a little drawn out.
In fact when I think about it that describes the characters of Silas and his uncle to a tee. Silas is very enthusiastic, daring and bouncy and his uncle is a ratchety, demanding and dull man.
Silas spends the entire time trying to solve the mystery that surrounds his mother and whilst doing so he tries to save the world. It is a mixture of magic, other worlds and science.
I think it is a book that will draw a specific type of reader. The type that likes their fantasy worlds to be filled with fruit for thought and not just filled with simplistic solutions.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastical journey, 13 Jun 2013
Having an 11 year old son who is a prolific reader means I am always on the lookout for new books that will challenge and stimulate him, and this book does just that. It is a clever book, but still manages to be exciting and fast-paced, engaging the reader with both the philosophical aspects of the book and also the action-packed scenes. It is very cinematic in its telling and my son is adamant that a film will be made. I wouldn't advise for young readers as it is quite dark in places, but for older children (11+) and adults who enjoy the genre, I would highly recommend.

The Bell Between Worlds (The Mirror Chronicles)
The Bell Between Worlds (The Mirror Chronicles) by Ian Johnstone (Hardcover - 6 Jun 2013)
9.09