4.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly presented book
This is a beautifully presented book, which gives inspiration into upholstering and creating a `new look' in the home.

The book is broken down into sections:

Heavenly Kitchen & Picture Perfect Dining
Dream Living Space
Bedroom Delights
Bathroom & Small and Special Spaces
Opulent Office

I particularly like this layout of...
Published 8 months ago by mrsb2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to browse through
Pearl Lowe's Vintage Craft is a collection of projects designed for your home. They range from candle making to upcycling furniture. Each project has instructions, beautiful images and little Pearls of Wisdom designed to give you extra tips or suggestions. The projects do require some more specific tools like craft knifes, glue guns, sewing machines staple gun...
Published 6 months ago by Reader, I Read It

4.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly presented book, 7 Aug 2013

The book is broken down into sections:

Heavenly Kitchen & Picture Perfect Dining
Dream Living Space
Bedroom Delights
Bathroom & Small and Special Spaces
Opulent Office

I particularly like this layout of the book as it is quick and easy to find which area you are looking for.

In each section there is a wide range of ideas for craft in that area. This is very clear and easy to understand and includes stunning photographs. Each idea comes with good instructions and what you will need section to help you get under way.

At the back of the book there is `Pearl's Little Black Book of shops and suppliers' which includes a selection of places to buy vintage furniture etc. Behind this section of the book there is a pattern section, and I really love this, it even gives you a colour code. These are linked with page numbers so you know which part of the book it relates to.

This book gives you great ideas to freshen up existing furniture, this is a craft book not a `make from scratch' book so if you are looking at finding out how to make furniture this is the wrong book for you. If you are looking to bring some life to existing pieces and perhaps make things for craft fairs this is for you.

For this review and others please visit:
Mrsbbooks2011.blogspot.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Craft for the home., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pearl Lowe's Vintage Craft: 50 Craft Projects and Home Styling Advice (Hardcover)
Good imagery and photography. I felt inspired by some projects and shall have a go at these in my holiday. I feel it is a good buy for a wide age group as it could appeal to many. Girlie and fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to browse through, 29 Sep 2013
Reader, I Read It "Sarah" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Before buying I would suggest readers take a look through the book at the designs. Although the cover creates a sense of vintage and shabby chic, most of the designs looked more like a jumble sale.

Overall I think that is a nice book for those who are into home improvements and have a lot of old items they need to update. However, I don't think that anything here can't be found on internet sites unless you love Pearl Lowe's specific style.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read and lots of great ideas, 3 Aug 2013
A nicely presented book with lots to read, think about and do. Pearl has great style and I think the book will stand the test of time. I'm going to try the mirror distressing first.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a ragbag, mishmash and, frankly, a mess - but a beautiful one!, 19 July 2013
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perhaps I just don't "get" the vibe of this book. Firstly, let me say it is beautifully photographed and with some stylish ideas if Victorian-inspired vintage is your thing. It's a book people could leave artfully on a gilded and distressed coffee table to leaf through whilst reclining on a quirkily re-upholstered chaise longue - and that's really about it.

As a project book, the instructions are not good - sometimes, the instructions are ridiculously obvious: "re-attach drawer handles before use" - really? I'd never have thought of that and yet for other projects, rather sparse. There's no tips, for example, on how to make sure wallpaper has no bubbles in, or how to get a good painted finish. Brands and details for materials used are missing - it would be useful to at least give some suggestions. Relying solely on the project details, unless you are an experienced crafter, you are unlikely to get the results shown in the book, and that could be disappointing. And some of the projects are quite ambitious. Others are simpler - for example, fabric covered coat hangers - but Pearl Lowe admits she doesn't make her own, she gets someone else to do them. Ditto painting her caravan, and several other projects that "inspired" the book. No wonder the instructions are sketchy.

The text in places reads like a catalogue of Lowe's house moves and eBay purchases and really doesn't show any understanding of craft or history - we find out what she likes, but not why, and why vintage style has enjoyed such a renaissance.

Reading the acknowledgements at the end, with it's thanks to people for photography, for staging, for using their homes and shops, and for writing, I'm left wondering what input Lowe had into the book that bears her name. Or is that the role of the designer - to provide "inspiration" whilst other people actually bring the vision to life?

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring projects, but not very practical, 14 Aug 2013
TheLibrarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pearl Lowe's Vintage Craft is a book of Pearl Lowe's interior design crafts. Whilst I can certainly see that many people would love this book, I did have some problems with it.

1)Whilst this is called a craft book I would see it more as an interior design/upcycling book. It is definitely more about how to update your furniture and I feel that some crafters would feel a little short-changed, as I didn't feel there are many proper craft projects.

2)I didn't particularly like the instructions in the book. Each project has one page of instructions and one page of photos of the finished project. This is fine for the easier projects, but I felt the more difficult projects could have done with a few additional diagrams and photos. There is a general section of advice at the end, but I felt this could have been expanded. If you are new to crafting or DIY you may find yourself coming unstuck with some of the trickier projects.

3)Whilst this is indeed a good quality book packed full of photos I didn't particularly like the appearance inside. Most of the photos seem quite dark and I sometimes found it hard to see the detail. I know this fits in with Pearl Lowe's style, but it did remind of a dreary 1970s craft book!

4)I have to admit I just didn't really like Pearl Lowe's style. I was really expecting to like this aspect of the book as I have always liked the way she dresses. I like vintage and Victorian style and don't mind a bit of shabby chic. I thought the cover of this book was really attractive, but the finished projects actually left me cold. If you are not sure whether you love her style I would certainly recommend having a peek inside before buying.

In conclusion I do think Pearl Lowe's Vintage Craft is a nice book, but it just didn't fulfil my expectations. I think the lack of detailed instructions and photographs make this more suitable as an inspiration book rather than a practical craft book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why won't Amazon let you give a half star?! This is defintiely one of those books!!!!, 24 Feb 2014
This is one of those 'Thank God for libraries!!!' books as if I had paid for it, I would have been most unamused. A clear example of style over substance and who you know being more important than what you know. The constant name dropping and the dubious credentials of having dyed some lace and decorated some friends houses seem to have given Ms Lowe the idea she is now a creative maven. However, as a crafter of many years standing there is absolutely nothing in this book I would make at all. Most of the '50 ideas' are upcycling (painting a chair. seriously.) that even the most keen fan would say is not an 'idea'. The book is obviously a labour of love and lavishly produced but beyond family and friends who would have been told to buy it I honestly cannot see who it is aimed at. Perhaps I am the wrong audience but if you buy a book with supposedly lots of ideas to find it some waffle on 'How wonderful am I!' tied together with some moody looking photos of the author staring at some lace you'll love it. If you are looking for tutorials or projects to get stuck into wait a little bit, it'll be in Poundland by the end of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely item, 9 Feb 2014
A beautiful item in great condition. Perfect buy for anyone looking for creative yet easy ideas to make and design at home, includes templates too!

5.0 out of 5 stars pearl's wonderful book, 9 Feb 2014
I love this book, I have waited for a while before reviewing it, I loved it from the beginning but was not sure why. This is not how I want to style my house, but I found unexpected nuggets hidden away and a new way of looking at colour.
I like the Scandinavian/70's vintage with a punk twist, not the shabby chic look, you may ask why do you love this book? The charming narrative is lovely to read for one, the colour mixes, great use of coloured lace, wonderful fabrics, the eclectic mixture of the whole thing can be adapted to fit any style. You can take a little or a lot, or just a hint and adapt it for your own.
What excites me is anything goes and if you are passionate enough to go and hunt for precious pieces to get the look you want this book is for you. You will not buy this look in John Lewis (but go and hunt in the off cut bins in the fabric dept. for lace etc) Get to know the sewing machine and paintbrush and I promise you will find your inner artist! Homemaking is the new cool! Lots of references to websites etc. I found these very helpful.
I was also impressed by how Pearl acknowledged all the people who helped her bring her book together. None of this " too many to mention" rubbish. I read every name.
This look is certainly not for everyone, buts bits of it are, it's great fun, a nice read and you might learn something new to brighten up your day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for fans of vintage, 31 Jan 2014
Pearl Lowe is famous for her vintage style and ideas so this is a great book for fans of the same. Lovely pictures and interesting text.

I would recommend this book.

ARRAY(0xaeb31018)