Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 11 November 2012
I was given a £25 credit by Amazon because they mucked up an order of mine. I thought I'd spend it on something nice, so I pre-ordered this. I wish I hadn't!

When it came, I just hated the packaging straight away. It looked totally inadequate for it's purpose. If opened and closed regularly, the folder will quickly lose any of it's integrity and quickly become 'dog-eared'. Any corners where folds intersect will become holes very quickly also. It just isn't very sturdy.

The way the maps are held in place by two small elasticated bands on each side is also totally inadequate. In fact when mine arrived the maps on the left hand side had already freed themselves from their bands and slipped across to rub on the maps the other side.

The maps themselves are on VERY cheap paper, and it's not very strong. The ink is also very very cheap and my maps that had freed themselves already had white lines along any folds. So any areas of sea that were blue now have white lines across them. That is even before unfolding them. On unfolding any, then white lines immediately appear. Truly truly cheap and nasty. Once the maps have been unfolded they gain mass, and are very difficult to replace back into the flimsy folder pockets.

The maps themselves are pretty unimpressive. Just really gaudily coloured versions of the ones in the book. Not nice at all.

It could have been so good with just one iota of thought. Really, this is a mess.

I don't understand who or what it's aimed at. You can't refer to the maps when reading as they are so big. You can't really frame them, as they have white lines over them and look cheap and nasty, and I don't really know of anyone who would want such 'tat' on their walls anyway. Everyone I've shown this to so far in the 2 days I've had it thinks it's awful and has thanked me for saving them money as they had considered buying it before seeing it for themselves. You can't even use them for research as any sort of use and they look awful.

There isn't even any written material to accompany them. Just one sheet saying how great the collection of maps is.

If I were George R R Martin, I'd distance myself from this inferior product as soon as I could. If he sees it and is happy with it then I'd seriously lose some respect for him, as it's a really cheap cash-in. A simple atlas of maps would have been better than this rubbish.

If I hadn't got this 'free' in effect it'd be going back immediately for refund. I really have no idea how angry I'd be if I'd actually had to PAY for garbage like this. As it is, I just can't be bothered and consider it a £25 voucher lost (not the whole £25, as I did buy something else... something that was nice!).

I don't understand the glowing 5 star reviews on here. I've never, ever got anything off Amazon in over a decade with them that is so inferior on so many levels. I can only assume they are related to either Mr Martin, or Harper Voyager board members, or are so obsessed with The Song of Ice and Fire Saga that they'd give 5 stars to anything associated with it.

Amazon.. you really need a zero stars option on this one!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2012
I was expecting an atlas-type book but this is a collection of poster size maps. Whilst the maps are very nice, they're not practical to use as a reference when reading the novels, which is really what I expected and wanted. And I don't really want to put 12 posters on my walls! I may be partly to blame if I have mis-interpreted the description, but I don't think it is glaringly obvious.
on 2 November 2013
This is a great book for anyone who has read his series or watched the HBO TV series. Heaps of interesting information and gorgeous illustrations.
on 14 January 2014
Excellent value and essential addition to anyone's collection for Game of Thrones - very detailed! Would recommend as a gift to any GOT fan!
on 21 December 2013
I love these maps as they are so detailed and they help give a sense of where you are when reading the books, or if just watching the series.
on 13 November 2012
I am really disappointed with this purchase.

I thought it would be an atlas as well as the other reviewers. Either I didnt read it carefully enough or the description wasnt clear enough.

If you are a huge fan you might like it although I didnt. I wish I hadnt bought it now
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2014
this is a must for all game of thrones fans after reading all the books up till now this gives you were they live and fight
on 3 January 2013
Brilliant! The quality of the maps is so good I've already put half of the them in picture frames. Very happy with them.
on 18 January 2014
I bought this as a gift for Christmas, and my son is still enjoying it and will do for a good few months
on 21 July 2013
Its a must for any true fan of Game of Thrones. Its worth every penny. Drawn in such amazing detail.