4.0 out of 5 stars If you're undecided on buying this...
I took my time in deciding whether to purchase this or not, mainly because of the few criticisms I read here, and the fact I had not seen this in a store to get an idea of what it was like. What made me finally buy this was due to digging around the internet and thankfully there are some videos of people on Youtube opening up The Lands of Ice and Fire and I did not fault...
Published 23 months ago by LMJR

3.0 out of 5 stars A good gift for a SoIaF fan, but lacking in hard info
Okay, this is going to be a bit of a non-review because you probably already know if you are going to be getting this or not. Basically, it's a collection of full-colour maps of Westeros and Essos, the two continents which form the setting for the Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R.R. Martin. Either you're going to go, "Hey, awesome! I'm all in!" or be running away...
Published on 11 Nov. 2012 by A. Whitehead

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
I bought this book from a popular high street book shop and paid full price. After seeing it on Amazon I returned it and paid a fraction of the price. This is a bargain and a great stocking filler for my son for Christmas.Great quality and info if you are a Game of Thrones fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Companion Book, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
This is a great book for anyone who has read his series or watched the HBO TV series. Heaps of interesting information and gorgeous illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic It puts the whole of George Martins world into perspective., 21 July 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
Its a must for any true fan of Game of Thrones. Its worth every penny. Drawn in such amazing detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lands of Ice and Fire -, 9 July 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
Yes - This is purely a set of maps detailing the actual Lands of Ice and Fire.

And

No - There isn't any history of the lands nor facts and added information.

Right, a lot of the poor reviews would have been avoided had the reviewers just made an effort to read the description and/or found out a little about what they were buying beforehand. Now, the reason the set is nothing more than maps(beautifully done) is because that's all it was ever meant to be. If you are wanting more information/history about the world of Ice & Fire then wait like the rest of us for funnily enough.. "The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros" I brace myself for the people claiming they were expecting more maps featured on release.
This set is to accompany A Song of Ice and Fire first and foremost, where all the information thus far is to be found in the books already. Yes the poster maps are big and No there not easy to just quickly whip out for reference (Owning the books would have you believe there are small and easy to use maps for quick references in the front of EVERY book in the series). The Lands of Ice & Fire are vast and spectacular and the posters rightly do them justice, yes there will be lines along the folds given time and use but that's to be expect with such large maps, some may say it adds character and a certain vintage appeal. But again these are not maps to quickly take out and put back again every other page anyway. They do however very much appeal to the long suffering readers and collectors of the books A Song of Ice and Fire, and not for the TV series viewers and passer-by's.

Recommended highly as purely a must have for the collectors and readers (who may also like the TV series).

"The idea was to do something representing the lands and seas of which, say, a maester of the Citadel might be aware... and while the maesters know more about Asshai and the lands beyond than a medieval monk knew about Cathay, distance remains a factor, and past a certain point legends and myths will creep here. Here there be winged men, and such." - George R. R. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Yup - it's just a set of maps - but very good ones, 12 Jun. 2013
M. K. TAYLOR - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
4/5 for me as yeah, they are just maps, but very nicely thought out and designed maps, a very nice accompaniment to the books and series.

Once you have these then you'll know the world that Game of Thrones is set in and have a better idea of distances etc.

Consider seriously before buying; once you have looked through them once, what else will you actually do with them?

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for navigation, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
If you want to find your way around the Game of Thrones world this is brilliant. All those far away places beautifully drawn and mapped. Highly recommended for any serious fan of the books

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire), 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
Brilliant! The quality of the maps is so good I've already put half of the them in picture frames. Very happy with them.

2.0 out of 5 stars EXPECTED A BOOK, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
I was expecting an atlas-type book but this is a collection of poster size maps. Whilst the maps are very nice, they're not practical to use as a reference when reading the novels, which is really what I expected and wanted. And I don't really want to put 12 posters on my walls! I may be partly to blame if I have mis-interpreted the description, but I don't think it is glaringly obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
I bought this item for my brother who is a die hard fan of George R. R. Martin's series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.

These maps are beautiful and elegant and now hold prize place on his bedroom walls, they are detailed and are a great companion to anyone who is reading the stories and are at any point!

Disclaimer - Map 12 is called 'Journeys' and will show you where key characters have travelled too and where key characters died throughout the books, DO NOT look at this before you have read the stories, you may just see more than you want too!

This is a great little extra to go along side the books, great sized maps, easy to read and easily stowed and taken out of the the packet they come in!

As my brother said when he opened it on Christmas day 'Simply Brilliant!'

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - In every way imaginable, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) (Hardcover)
I was given a £25 credit by Amazon because they mucked up an order of mine. I thought I'd spend it on something nice, so I pre-ordered this. I wish I hadn't!

When it came, I just hated the packaging straight away. It looked totally inadequate for it's purpose. If opened and closed regularly, the folder will quickly lose any of it's integrity and quickly become 'dog-eared'. Any corners where folds intersect will become holes very quickly also. It just isn't very sturdy.

The way the maps are held in place by two small elasticated bands on each side is also totally inadequate. In fact when mine arrived the maps on the left hand side had already freed themselves from their bands and slipped across to rub on the maps the other side.

The maps themselves are on VERY cheap paper, and it's not very strong. The ink is also very very cheap and my maps that had freed themselves already had white lines along any folds. So any areas of sea that were blue now have white lines across them. That is even before unfolding them. On unfolding any, then white lines immediately appear. Truly truly cheap and nasty. Once the maps have been unfolded they gain mass, and are very difficult to replace back into the flimsy folder pockets.

The maps themselves are pretty unimpressive. Just really gaudily coloured versions of the ones in the book. Not nice at all.

It could have been so good with just one iota of thought. Really, this is a mess.

I don't understand who or what it's aimed at. You can't refer to the maps when reading as they are so big. You can't really frame them, as they have white lines over them and look cheap and nasty, and I don't really know of anyone who would want such 'tat' on their walls anyway. Everyone I've shown this to so far in the 2 days I've had it thinks it's awful and has thanked me for saving them money as they had considered buying it before seeing it for themselves. You can't even use them for research as any sort of use and they look awful.

There isn't even any written material to accompany them. Just one sheet saying how great the collection of maps is.

If I were George R R Martin, I'd distance myself from this inferior product as soon as I could. If he sees it and is happy with it then I'd seriously lose some respect for him, as it's a really cheap cash-in. A simple atlas of maps would have been better than this rubbish.

If I hadn't got this 'free' in effect it'd be going back immediately for refund. I really have no idea how angry I'd be if I'd actually had to PAY for garbage like this. As it is, I just can't be bothered and consider it a £25 voucher lost (not the whole £25, as I did buy something else... something that was nice!).

I don't understand the glowing 5 star reviews on here. I've never, ever got anything off Amazon in over a decade with them that is so inferior on so many levels. I can only assume they are related to either Mr Martin, or Harper Voyager board members, or are so obsessed with The Song of Ice and Fire Saga that they'd give 5 stars to anything associated with it.

Amazon.. you really need a zero stars option on this one!

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire)
The Lands of Ice and Fire (Song of Ice & Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 8 Nov. 2012)
Used & New from: £79.99