4.0 out of 5 stars A Golden Summer in the Grey Winter
"The Fall of Arthur" is J.R.R. Tolkien's unfinished contribution to the already considerable body of literature about the legendary British king. Composed as it is in imitation of Old English 'alliterative' verse, an often-used term Tolkien himself had reservations about, it is quite a challenge to read. At his best, Tolkien was capable of producing some truly great...
Published 19 months ago by Modern Viking

3.0 out of 5 stars It will all depend on what you want
This is, to steal a line from elsewhere, a book of two halves. There is the poem itself, running to no more than a few hundred lines, and comprising a very slim section of the book. Secondly there is an "Introduction" and (for want of a better phrase) and "After" section written by Christopher Tolkien.

The poem itself, is interesting enough, and in fact begs...
Published 16 months ago by Stewart M

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fall of Arthur (Deluxe Slipcase Edition), 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Deluxe Slipcase Edition) (Hardcover)
Haven't actually read this yet so can't comment on the actual story. I bought it more because i have many of the other de luxe editions by Harper Collins and didn't wan't to be missing one. Picked this up for a great price on Amazon compared to the high street. The quality is similar to the other de luxe editions, which I'm guessing you already own if you are considering on buying this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Hardcover)
Magnificent, marvelous, monumental, melodious telling of the fall of King Arthur, the legendary Once & Future King of Albion/Wales/Celtic Lands/England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 July 2014
Ok

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jun 2013
Lisa Stanton "l stanton" (England) - See all my reviews
I've always been a voracious reader, and my drug of choice is fantasy. Like many people, Lord of the Rings was my gateway drug.

After yearly re-reads and losing myself in the many supplementary works of Tolkien, I've since moved on to other fantasy worlds, but LOTR will always remain my first love. So it should come as no surprise that, some time last week, I lost my mind when someone posted a link to this release. I'd had no idea it was in the offing, and sped on over here where I threw away £9 for instant delivery to my Kindle.

I feel a little swindled, as it turns out that the long abandoned, unfinished and previously unreleased work only took up about 30% of the book, with the rest being essays and notes by Christopher designed to shine a little light on and place the poem in context (and pad the book enough to justify the price).

Apparently an alliterative Old English poem, I wouldn't know one of those if it walked up and alliterated in my face, but I can say it was somewhat effective (when I understood it) - Arthur seems to be battling some desolate, wind-driven landscape in a foreign campaign while Guinevere(who is given short shrift for being such a tempting slut) is menaced by Mordred, who is trying to take over Arthur's kingdom, and Lancelot sulks across the water, waiting for a summons from King or Queen that never comes. If the poem had been finished I imagine it would have made for a good telling of the back-end of the Arthur legend. But it's not finished, and so didn't really do much else for me.

As for Christopher's contributions, they were helpful when it came to looking at the poem in the context of the Arthurian tradition, and how Avalon and Tol Eressea has certain similarities, but when it came to the evolution of the poem it nearly sent me to sleep.

Oh well, one to learn from then....and I'll head to the library for any future releases from the Tolkien estate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Hardcover)
Anything by J.R.R.Tolkien is in my humble opinion very good. The man was a genius and the book is excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fall Of Arther, 18 Jun 2013
Paul (South Molton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very in-depth found it difficult to read because of how it is written.
I would only recommend to someone who loves this kind of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Hardcover)
Love this book very interesting and well edited if you like this kind of thing. Cover is hard back which I wished all my books were hard backs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!!, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Hardcover)
Love this book! I am a huge fan of Tolkien and King Arthur so to get both was exciting and I was happy to have another of his books to add to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good read, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Fall of Arthur (Hardcover)
as a fan of Tolkien I had to buy it and was disappointed and really enjoyed it recommend to all Tolkien fans

The Fall of Arthur (Deluxe Slipcase Edition)
The Fall of Arthur (Deluxe Slipcase Edition) by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 23 May 2013)