5.0 out of 5 stars Culinary Bible!
Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Georgia Entrican

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart cookie, smart cookbook - but...
Just what I need - another cookery book. I have, like, gazillions. But having been completely won over by Ms Pascale on her tv shows, I decided it was time to actually invest in one of her cookbooks.

Published on 24 Aug 2012 by Sue Kichenside

5.0 out of 5 stars Culinary Bible!, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
I've never been talented enough to pull off fancy, complicated meals and so I tend to make no effort altogether and stick to standard, boring dishes. However, the recipe's in 'Fast, Fresh and Easy Food' are fairly simple and don't take up too much time which is fantastic for dinner parties or even nights in when you fancy something a little more intricate than beans on toast! I love that the book is vibrant and packed with colourful pictures of the finished dishes as it gives me something to aspire to when I'm cooking.

All of the recipes I have cooked so far were imaginative, flavoursome and looked fantastic when presented on a plate - this is a definite thumbs up for me as food presentation is always something I have struggled with! Although I am a keen meat eater, I was particularly impressed with the vegetarian dishes that Lorraine has created. I usually don't feel satisfied unless I've consumed some meat with my dinners but Lorraine's recipes have altered this feeling entirely - I would highly recommend the Butternut & Sweet Potato Lasagne!

For me this book has become something of a culinary bible and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy!!, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
This book is a nice addition to my cook books and the pictures are beautiful. I am a lazy and want to do things with minimal cooking so I like the way Lorrainne Pascale chooses her ingredients and recipes. The majority of the recipes don't take up too much time. The onion soup is almost good as the little bistros I use to eat in France. I say almost because if you are looking for restaurant quality food this is not the book for you. But if you want simple, healthy, tasty, dishes to impress your friends at dinner parties this is the book for you. Overall I think it is a good cook book but to be completely honest I prefer the more traditional recipes of "Home Cooking Made Easy."

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, has a wide range of recipes (vegetarian, meat, fish, desserts, breads & sweets). Has accessible ingredients which you can buy in most supermarkets, lovely photos of the recipes an easy to read and understand. This is a must buy book, loved her other books too but this is my favourite so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
I purchase lots of cookery books but found this one by far the best. The recipes are easy to follow, great pictures and they use easily accessible ingredients. I have just placed an order for another of Lorraine's books. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart cookie, smart cookbook - but..., 24 Aug 2012
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)

First of all, let me say that it is a lovely book, beautifully produced on glossy, heavyweight paper (unfortunately, some of the pages in my copy are creased but no matter).

Secondly, I would like to praise the exemplary way in which the recipes are laid out: clear, concise, excellent typography. Other cookbook publishers please take note and also, please see my review of Tessa Kiros's Greek cookbook which has the worst recipe typography I think I have ever seen. Food From Many Greek Kitchens

Thirdly, many of the recipes appeal to me and I think will appeal to lots of people. Plenty of modern stuff, several with chicken and fish, as well as some traditional dishes with a twist - something I particularly like to see.

So far, so good.

However, I do have a few buts about this book.

But #1: The photography is decidedly average with none of the verve and "make-me appeal" of the tv programme. Ms Pascale is ill-served by her publishers here; check out the Waitrose monthly food mag, Lorraine - that's the kind of "must-make-this" quality of photography you need - and deserve!

But #2: I haven't actually made any of the dishes yet - the book only arrived today! But looking at the length of time that is given to prepare some of these dishes, I would say the timings are unrealistic; it would take me the said 30 mins, or whatever, just to find all the various ingredients in the cupboard! NOW UPDATED, PLEASE SEE BELOW.

But #3: Where's the street food? This is a key segment of the tv programme and some of the dishes offered by the featured street chefs look absolutely fabulous - why oh why aren't they included?

So all in all, a good cookbook and one that I'll surely use. But not a great one.

UPDATE:

Have now made some dishes from this cookbook with varying degrees of success. Thai Red Beef Curry (could have been simplified a little but the grapes were a nice, unusual touch), Chicken Tikka Masala (needed more liquid), Sweet & Sour Pork Balls (overwhelmed by the balsamic vinegar, perhaps soy sauce would be a better substitute?) and my daughter made the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Zebra Cake which was quite successful though the pattern was not quite as clearly delineated as in the book's photograph.

I hope that this review has been helpful to you but if it hasn't, I would be grateful if you would kindly add a comment as to why not to enable me to write more helpful reviews in the future. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
I bought Lorraine Pascale's book after making the let them eat cake cake (malteser cake)for my husbands birthday. It worked out brilliantly and wasn't that difficult. So much so my daughter in law thought I'd bought it from a shop!! I have made quite a few of the recipes to date and can recommend the limoncello jellies and the chicken tikka curry. The illustrations in the book are excellent and the instructions clear and easy to follow. I would recommend the book to anyone, and you don't need to be a cordon bleu cook to produce delicious meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, fast and tasty food, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook, with some dishes that have quickly become staples in our house. The chicken tikka masala and Sri Lankan coconut chicken are both sublime, the Thai beef salad is a lunchtime favourite, and the maple & pecan granola is now served daily at breakfast.

The recipes are not those that allow you to start a dish off and then relax, rather they are fairly intensive with not a lot of spare time, but they are written and laid out in such a way that the time is well-utilised and at the end of the recipe you'll have something prertty special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
This book is fresh like the tv show! The book is very well made and have great images inside. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty & not too difficult, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
Good easy to follow step by step instructions & tasty food was the result. Success!
Good pictures too. Love the book

4.0 out of 5 stars Lorraine Pascale's Fast Fresh and Easy Food, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food (Hardcover)
Lovely book with lots of really nice recipes. Recipes are easy to follow but the only thing I would say is that it takes longer to make the dishes than stated in the recipe. Worthwhile addition to your cookery book collection.Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food

Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food
Lorraine Pascale's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food by Lorraine Pascale (Hardcover - 13 Aug 2012)
9.00