5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read
Just received this on Monday & already halfway through, can't put it down. Had forgotten how many 4AD releases I have collected over the years and its really good learning the backgrounds and what has since happened to the key players in each.

Been playing Cocteaus & This Mortal Coil on repeat since starting the book.

Published 10 months ago by A. Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing design
I looked forward to finally get a good book of the history of 4AD, my favourite label since the early eighties. The story seems very detailed on a first glance but the design is rather cheapish with only a handfull of very small pictures on just a few pages. It does not have to be a picturebook like the factory record's sleevebook a few years ago, but a little more...
Published 9 months ago by d.Amar.Utu

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 9 Oct 2013
A. Kennedy "toe_k" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)

Been playing Cocteaus & This Mortal Coil on repeat since starting the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 4AD devotees, 2 Nov 2013
Michael Webb (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
I loved 4AD, and this book is perfect for devotees of the label. It's a long book, and covers the years up until Ivo sells the label in great detail, with interviews etc with all the artists, from the major ones like Cocteau Twins and Pixies to less known artist such as Swallow and Spirea X. Suitably the detail stops when Ivo sells the label, and the last couple of chapters cover the post Ivo years briefly, but it's no longer really 4AD by that point. Ivo was a genius, and it's sad how things ended up, but listening to the music along side this book was just perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysteries Explained, 4 May 2014
I have to admit I was a 50-50 about 4AD records some I loved some just got on my nerves but for 5 years I was on the bands mailing list when I was a record reviewer on a local paper. The one thing I always did know was that I was always excited when a new parcel came from the label as I knew love it or hate it that the music was going to be highly original and high quality with wonderful artwork. I often spoke for ages on the phone to the ever wonderful Deborah Edgely the best press officer I ever had dealing with. I don't think any company had such loyal staff I know I found almost impossible to say I disliked a record because you could hear the genuine sadness in Deborah's voice. Never before or since has a label had such committed staff or work ethic. Then quite suddenly you could sense it was all starting to unravel one or two releases did not seem quite right. Then Deborah left for a few months , came back for a day, I was informed the legendary label figurehead Ivo was going through some sort of Bad patch.
It all seemed so sad but I had no idea what was happening Deborah was the soul of discretion as were her successors. This book is an in depth history of the greatest indie label ever known and it explains all the mysteries It mentions every release and brief band histories of every act on the label. It also gives brief descriptions of everyone who worked in the office or for the Art Department headed by Vaughan Oliver.
The real beauty of the book is that despite its exhaustive insight it is a fantastic read that doesn't get bogged down in the fine detail and tries to give balanced views of all the arguments. I never knew Ivo's crisis was caused by severe depression and I feel so sad for the poor guy in his wilderness years, I myself got hit by depression so badly I did not want to listen to music anymore, like Ivo I am better now but its a horrible feeling.
I can thoroughyl recommend this book to anyone and I have to hope all the people who were involved at 4AD are happy
in their lives. Being involved with the label was a labour of love and has affected all of them in a way that does not happen in most offices. I imagine the writer also suffered severe withdrawal symptoms after his work was finished. If you are a fan of the label or its bands or not but just are interested in music read this book one of the best around.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great British institution, 7 Oct 2013
Mr. R. J. Jenkins "Django 67" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
Fascinating stuff, I am about half way through the book and I only got it a few days ago! Brings back fond memories of some fantastic bands, with stunning and beautiful cover artworks, both of which influenced my work as a photographer. If you like(d) 4AD and want to know some very thoroughly researched background information and insights into a highly influential record label/movement/era then this book certainly does the trick. Thanks Martin Aston.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, or Madness?, 20 Feb 2014
As a massive early 4AD fan (the Cocteau Twins are one of my favourite bands) I'd totally forgotten many of the other acts the label signed. As a result of this excellent book I fear that my wallet may take a bashing as I search out the titles I missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music book of the year?, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
Martin Aston book is an in depth look at one of the greatest record labels of all time.
All key players are interviewed and no stone left unturned.
The book works on a number of levels.
As it intention the study of 4AD and it's influence on music and culture.
Also a fascinating look at the business side of the music world and the impact of running an independent label.
Finally,the personal side of being in a band and how the business can change people.
I found myself running to pull out albums by bands I'd half forgotten and ordering some that had passed me by.
An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4AD..nothing more to be said, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
Being a massive Cocteau Twins fan since the early 80's and collector of 4AD bands in general, I have found this book absolutely fascinating reading.

Really pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 4AD maina, 23 Mar 2014
I've been as a fan of 4AD for more than 10 years in China, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Pixies, Red House Painters~ The limited edition is my only choice.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, and detailed history of a great label, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
This book had me reading pages like an un-putdownable thriller. Admittedly i am a music fan, and around in London around the time that some of the great bands this book covers gigged, and remember many of the releases, but this gave me a wonderful level of detail behind the bands, and records that shaped part of my youth as well as many others. I guess the thing that most impressed me was the level of information and the detail of the research and interviews. I remember the Pixies split - and now i know so much more about it. I remember listening to This Mortal Coil, without knowing anywhere near as much about them as i do now. Properly evocative of a time when music, and vinyl, was at the centre of youth, and music was an art not a career. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book,, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD (Hardcover)
Excellent book from what I consider to be one of the greatest labels ever. Some more on Lush would have been nice, though!

Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD
Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD by Martin Aston (Hardcover - 26 Sep 2013)
20.00