5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody fantastic!
Oh dear Lord, I have never been so apprehensive to read a book in such a long time, especially with Mr Landy's ability to bump off characters like there's no tomorrow. I won't post spoilers in my review but I think the wait was worse than the reading to be honest. This book is amazing! By far my favourite and I was so happy with the ending. thrilled in fact...
Published 6 months ago by Leanne Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good.
3.5 stars.

I can't believe this is the final book. I'am gutted this is the end. 'The Dying of the Light' is really good, honestly it is... but it was no way as good as the previous books in this series. I find it hard to write a review when I don't want to say anything that might even hint at what happens. It's full of its usual flare, magic and sarcasm, the...
Published 4 months ago by Bexxful

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody fantastic!, 1 Sept. 2014

I almost choked up at some points and there are some truly sentimental moments, but this installment does not sacrifice on humour by any means. I laughed ridiculously at some points in the book and I think I shall re-read the whole series just for funsies.

Derek is a literary God, and much nicer than the ones depicted in his books (which lets face it, are bloody nuts and insane).

I still have a crush on skulduggery and I totally have a girl crush on Valkyrie and maybe on Tanith too. Hell, I even totally loved Billy-Ray Sanguine by the end of the book and Scapegrace.

Perhaps the most amazing part though is the ending and the way in which there are similarities to the beginning (you'll understand when you read it). I can't wait to read whatever Derek writes next and thank him for getting me out of my reading slump. I needed this book in more ways than one.

Whether you're 7, 17, 27 (like me) or 107, read this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Wow, 29 Aug. 2014
Lute (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Derek Landy, I do believe this is my favorite book out of the whole series. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made a part of me want to kill you at times, too... And you kept me guessing throughout the whole thing. It was rather confusing until the end.

I still can't believe this is the last book. I think I might be in shock.
But, I can say one thing for certain - this last book is a brilliant ending to a spectacular series. It deserves 6 stars really, but unfortunately they won't let me put it... How rude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh.My.God, 29 Aug. 2014
The perfect ending to an astounding series of books. Just when you think all hope is lost, Derek comes out with yet another twist, grabbing the readers attention indefinitely.5 star praise to this amazing a writer. I look forward to his new series in hope it keeps up the standards that have been set ridiculously high by skulduggery pleasant.
And all that left to say,
Until The End

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate you Derek., 24 Dec. 2014
bookwormz (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
How have I not reviewed this yet?
Well, it's nearly Christmas - which means I have read The Dying Of The Light at least eight times through - and I'm bored, so what better to do than review probably one of the best books I have read this year.
The Golden God has a tendency to, let's say, 'bump off' my favourite characters in spectacular fashion. [Spoiler regions here] When I read the ending - or rather what I BELIEVED was the ending - I literally started screaming at the book. Because Derek Landy has to be the spawn of Satan, along with Steven Moffat.
But my nitpickings with Landy and Moffat have no place here at all. I turned the page, wondering what in the name of all that was holy could happen after an evil sorceress destroys the entire world, and then…
Well, all I will say is Derek dodged a bullet there. I'm sure not just me but many other rabid fangirls would be hounding him night and day to try and make him a human (he's not human.).
Initially I was worried that this would be void of all the wisecracks and jokes that had endeared myself to Skulduggery and Valkyrie the first time I ever picked up Skulduggery Pleasant, but I was thankfully being overly paranoid. Get ready to take a rollercoaster with two partners in crime, a hastily slammed together team of mages and heroes, with some visits from characters you love to love/hate [I must say, I love everyone in SP] thrown in for good measure.
The worst part is it ends with a lot of questions unanswered. But after all, we can get them out of The Golden God with a chainsaw and a sledgehammer, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars So AWESOME, 10 Sept. 2014
Contains Spoilers!!!

If you have been following my blog for a while you will know that I am a massive Skulduggery Pleasant fan. I have been following this series for years, have met Derek Landy 5 times now, and have every single book by him signed. As you may have read last week, I was lucky enough to go to the launch party for this book in London which was incredible, so I was so excited to finally be able to read this last book.

There were so many questions left unanswered, so many things left to figure out at the end of the 8th book, that this one had a lot to live up to.

I can't believe this is the last book, it is all over, no more new Skulduggery. It seems weird, it's something I look forward to every year.

So here we are, on the brink of the end of the world. Valkyrie is gone, Darquesse is madly controlling those around her and spreading fear and disaster behind her. Stephanie is by Skulduggery's side, Tanith is still possessed and basically everything is in a mess.

This book is 600 pages of awesomeness. The usual sarcastic humour is still there, the action packed adventure and jaw dropping moments.

The book has seperate stroylines running side by side through it, some told from Skulduggery's point of view, some from Darquesse, some Tanith and one told by 'Danny'. This was the most intriguing to me as he is a new character and it is told in a different perspective. Throughout I was wondering what was going on, which version of Valkyrie/Stephanie he is dealing with and basically how he got involved in it, and I have to say the mystery stayed unsolved for me until the very end. I never did manage to figure it out!

There are some truly epic moments in this book - in fact it is majorly epic but there are some moments when it is a bit slower and it makes you wonder what Derek is plotting.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the end, it felt like a little bit of a deflation, I don't know - I think that maybe I was expecting so much that it was destined to fall flat slightly, but it was only slightly. Don't get me wrong, I still think that it is amazing but it didn't quite live up to my astronomically high expectations.

And besides there are more than enough parts to make up for it, so many heart pounding, breath-taking moments. And some truly 'Heck yeah' moments.

This is of course a must read, if you have read this far you can't stop now. And if you haven't read this series, don't start here- go all the way back to the beginning and settle down for the adventure of a lifetime.

I still can't believe this is the end. It feels like I am leaving my friends behind, but at least I still have them with me, and I can visit at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, a series ended in the best possible way., 28 Aug. 2014
DaveTT (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Reading the Skulduggery Pleasant series has been like climbing a rock wall in a gymnasium, you climb safely in the knowledge that somewhere Derek Landy has your safety rope secure in his hands, your hopes rise and fall with each turn of the page, but you're always pushing to new heights mindful that Skulduggery and Stephanie usually come out on top.

Until today that is, today Mr Landy is letting the rope go slack in his grip and unbeknownst to you dear reader, the higher you climb the less likely the rope is going to be able to stop you falling, so when you miss that handhold or your foot slips from that crevice he hasn't got your back at all, he's gone for a cup of tea and you're left in free fall down into the void.

There's no coming back this time.

4.0 out of 5 stars whether they were good guys or bad guys or even what they were ..., 5 Nov. 2014
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

This book messed with my mind, man – at first, I really struggled to get in to it, and I could never tell who was who, whether they were good guys or bad guys or even what they were actually doing. But then I got absorbed, after the first hundred pages or so, and everything got a lot more exciting.

I get the feeling that I would’ve suspended my disbelief a little sooner if I’d read the earlier books in the series, because the author seems to assume that you know a lot about his fictional world, although the occasional exposition that he uses to fill you in on what happened earlier is actually well-handled and subtle enough that you don’t even notice what’s happening.

Which is a good thing, because there’s a lot going on – people dying left, right and centre, and occasionally coming back to life, switching allegiance or doing something else that’s equally surprising. It gets confusing to say the least, although I suspect it’ll be easier to understand it all if you’ve started the series from the beginning.

And from what I understand, quite a lot of people do just that – when I was reading this at work, one of my colleagues stopped me and asked to take a look at the cover. It turns out that her kids, and her kids’ friends, are obsessed with the Skulduggery Pleasant series, in the same way that my own generation was obsessed with Harry Potter.

In fact, when I first started reading the novel, I did detect the influence of the Harry Potter series, and to begin with I was worried that it might just be a rip-off. It turns out I was wrong – the world of the Skulduggery Pleasant series is completely different, and in places I think it weakens the plot-line. Magic needs some universal laws that must always be obeyed, otherwise it can just be used to explain away gaps in the story, as it was occasionally used here.

But despite that, The Dying of the Light is a pretty compelling read, and once I really got in to it, I did find it hard to put it down. Sure, the barrier to entry is a little high if you haven’t read the other books in the series, but once you get past that, you’ll be interested in the huge collection of characters on offer, and I bet that you’ll find a favourite and settle down with the back catalogue to read about what happened to them before the events of The Dying of the Light kicked off.

I don’t want to go in to too much detail about the plot, partly because it’s too complicated to go in to and partly because I don’t want to spoil it – suffice to say that if you’re in to magic, fantasy and the fight of good against evil, then you’re going to enjoy it. Hell, I’m not even going to tell you who wins!

The only problem for me, when you consider the target audience of kids and young adults, was the level of gore that the book contains – it seems like every couple of pages, someone’s being beheaded, dismembered or otherwise brutally murdered, even some peripheral characters who the author could’ve left alive. It might bother you if you’re reading it to kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Word, 28 Aug. 2014
It was amazing and had a funny ending which really describes Skulduggery Pleasant. All in all amazing to read!!! Thank you Derek Landy

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 31 Aug. 2014
This book is my fave book of the series... At the beginning of the book I found it confusing and a tinsy bit boring ...But as you get into the book all is revealed... there is action...comedy...tragedy...and magic. I would give(if possible) 4.5 stars because of the beginning but I will give it five because everything else is amazing an totally worth your money!

I loved the twists that were everywhere in the bok, not just
at the end. I am s

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 4 Sept. 2014
I've read the entire series, and waited a year for Book 8, and now another year for this one. It was definitely worth the wait! Since it's the last book my thought process went aling the lines of: 'it's the last book, no more after this, therefore I'll read it slowly'. However, it turns out that it's virtually impossible as the many twists and turns keep the cover binded to your fingers!

Landy has constructed the storyline beautifully as there is the exact right amount of humour, drama and thrilling events. It sent me on an emotional rollercoaster consisting of happiness, sadness for the characters, anger and excitement.

It's a truly remarkable book, much like all the others (but I do think this is my favourite) and I'm still suffering the huge hollow feeling of loss after you finish a book series, and I don't think that feeling is shifting in a hurry.

I don't rate a lot of things 5 stars, but if I could give this 6, I would. 100% worth buying!

The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 9)
The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 9) by Derek Landy (Paperback - 28 Aug. 2014)
Used & New from: £3.08