1,174 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest adaptations ever, with an ensemble cast
I remember reading the Fellowship of the Ring at school. My friend had the three volume book, but I thought I would start with the first and see how it went. I was captured, and have been enchanted ever since with the mythological world of Middle Earth. But, it was not until I had listened to this box set that I realised, for instance, how great was the suffering of...
Published on 11 May 2001 by robert_m_davis@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
We all know that the The Lord of the Rings is a work of genius, so this review covers this particular published version (The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition). First off this book is expensive and in format it is only a little larger than the paperback version. Also apart from the three pages from the book of Mazurbul there are no illustrations. First...
Published on 23 April 2005 by J Meehan

‹ Previous | 117 18 19118 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another useless fact about the Radio 4 dramatisation, 15 July 2013
Not a review but a bit of trivia!

The music on the soundtrack to the Radio 4 adaptation was written by one Stephen Oliver. One of the singers who sang lead on several of the tracks featured was one Oz Clarke; yes, the wine expert of 'Food and Drink' fame.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 23 Jun 2013
"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."

I am only 24 and I have already owned 3 copies of this book because I read it so much. There are no words to describe my feelings of awe when reading LOTR. This isn't just a novel; it is a masterpiece of art in written form.

There is not much else I can say about it other than the only thing hat is bad about it is that the kindle version has quite a few errors.

If you read nothing else and only this book in your lifetime then it would be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the films, 3 Jun 2013
Patrick Cann (Kenilworth, UK) - See all my reviews
I do not use the title of this review lightly being an admirer of the films of Peter Jackson (sadly my memory of the animated film is beyond me). However this adaptation is the best one, almost as good as reading the books. Almost but not quite as no adaptation will ever match the books. Yes it is abridged but so are all adaptations.I have listened to it twice so far and it has improved each time. At first listening the voices of the narrator and Stider/ Aragorn grated on my but I am growing to like them. Other than those minor gripes I have no complaints at all about this and would recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 2 Jun 2013
This is Lord of the Rings. Honestly, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Oh, I know; get the kindle version, then you can have the whole trilogy in your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Jun 2013
Together with The Hobbit, this trilogy should be on everybody's 'must read' list. A classic tale of good versus evil.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!, 23 May 2013
I love these books. I recommended them to people who like fantasy. I liked them because the ideas created were amazing and nobody could put a book down this good

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic in every sense of the word!!!, 28 Jan 2013
I cant write for long as i want to read the books again. They are amazing and quite frankly - if you haven't read Tolkien's Lord of the rings then you have NEVER read a real novel! i am 11 but nearly 12 and i simply adore these books. All the characters are unique from burdened Frodo and loyal Sam, to treacherous, twisted Gollum.

Tolkien is a mastermind, but don't let me tell you. Find out for yourself. Read these books...you wont regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust them, 26 Jan 2013
Bridget M. Odonoghue-allen (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
Hi i bought this product as a present and when it arrived it was lovely and very good quality e.c.t but the problem was when it came. I ordered it but i wasnt in for the delivery down to the fact that i work full time. They had tryed to deliver many times and when i came back every night i would get a email saying they had tryed. I would'nt have minded this but they left no card saying where i could pick it up from or the adress of their depo. It took weeks before amazon finally stepped in and sorted everything out but by that time the time for the present had already gone. I cannot thank amazon enough for the service BUT on no cercumstances trust this seller unless you are in 24/7 and able to answer the door at any time of the day. BE WARNED!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not the best edition., 18 Jan 2013
Mario Zito (Bologna, Emilia Romagna Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
I expected a bit more, the american edition is way better. There is no splicase. The price was good tough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not what i expected, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
Misleading photos . I thought that i was going to buy the deluxe version , as a result of the pics that described the item.

‹ Previous | 117 18 19118 | Next ›

The Two Towers: The Lord of the Rings, Part 2
The Two Towers: The Lord of the Rings, Part 2 by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 30 Aug 2012)
3.85