5.0 out of 5 stars Fellowship embarks
A new wave of readers have discovered "The Fellowship of the Ring," thanks to the arrival of the epic movie hits. And that is definitely a good thing, because this trilogy not only spurred the fantasy genre into a respectable position, but also provided the template for virtually every elf, dwarf, lost king, and medieval fantasy world since. It's also a wicked good...
Published on 6 Mar. 2006 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, a genuine classic, but suprisingly dully illustrated
Don't get me wrong: I've been a fan since I was a child. It's the illustrations that are disappointing here (though, as much as we love Tolkien, we all know the narrative itself can be fairly tough going at times). The illustrated Hobbit is really good. The pictures are interesting and help maintain a child's attention. The vast majority of illustrations in The...
Published on 31 July 2011 by R. Boston

‹ Previous | 120 21 2227 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good boos, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings, Part 1 (Paperback)
It was a really good book and a really good read, I read if all in a day because I couldn't put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars difficult book to sum up in one line...., 1 Mar. 2002
Firstly, if you are skimming through these reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy this book, then I would say "yes, do it".
I won't drivel on about the hobbits, I'm far more interested in magic so obviously Gandalf and Sarumon are my favourites in this story. I have to admit, the review written by someone earlier is true - there are some quite silly songs in this book which make me cringe when I read them ( see Tom Bombadil for proof!) but the storylines more than make up for it. You should take into consideration how long ago this book was written, and just grin and bear the poetic trash.
This book will make you smile, laugh, sympathetic to the heroes, and scared of the dark characters.
All in all, excellent. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, but think twice if you're buying it because you liked the film - it's not as easy to follow in writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
Best story since the bible and just as believable fascinating tale of elves and men brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Nov. 2014
wonderful, have read this several times and still love it. Now I have it forever on my Kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellowship of the Ring, 13 Jun. 2010
Arrived promptly and in good condition. Also it was very cheap so all in all very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars New edition with 'Triple'-cover design, 29 Jan. 2014
Leen Zuydgeest (Gouda, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
After seen the laughable second Hobbit-movie, I thought it was time to read The Hobbit and LOTR again. In English I only had the large volume illustrated version by Alan Lee, and that print is way too big to read in the train to my work. Searching I came to this new edition. Three loose volumes of Lotr, much easier to take with me! A beautiful version with an original cover design. The Fellowship has also an interesting preface about the many mistakes and vollowing corrections of the original text in the printed version and maps in two colors, black and red.

I suppose the story is well known to a lot of people, so I won't say anything about that...

Oh, by the way, LOTR is NOT a trilogy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, 30 Aug. 2014
ShannonMcN (Co. Down, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
Favourite book from childhood. Hold up in adulthood. Love it from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
Brilliant, a classic that everyone should read at least once in their life! x

5.0 out of 5 stars The fantastic first book of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, 24 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This book picks up in a time some time after the Hobbit. Although a more adult book in style in comparison to the Hobbit, the Fellowship of the Ring tells a fantastic story of the Dark Lord Sauron and his quest for power over the whole of Middle-Earth. What surely could a Hobbit from the land of the Shire do stop the land being consumed by the Lord of the Rings? A young Hobbit called Frodo Baggins (Bilbo's adopted heir) takes on an adventure which could change the course of history in Middle-Earth. A fantastic first book in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to have them on my kindle, 8 Nov. 2014
I regularly re read this series. Good to have them on my kindle.

‹ Previous | 120 21 2227 | Next ›

The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings, Part 1
The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings, Part 1 by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 30 Aug. 2012)