5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's
Published 12 months ago by Miss L Hawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars For die hard chick lit fans
Christmas at Carrington's is the sequel to Cupcakes at Carrington's (see my review here) and we pick up again with Georgie and the majority of the characters from Cupcakes and they're being flung into the world of reality tv.

There's some drama, some funny parts, some sad, a villain you'll love to hate and of course the romance (and the cupcakes). It has the...
Published 12 months ago by Bookboodle

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2) (Paperback)
I could not wait to get my hands on Christmas at Carrington's and as it states on the back of the book enjoy in one sitting and that is exactly what i did! This book was written beautifully and it was a true pleasure in following Georgie's journey! I have given this book 5 stars as anything less would be ridiculous! For a Christmas chick lit read please please please choose Christmas at Carrington's you will not be disappointed! Praise for Alexandra Brown! Can not wait for the next installment xx

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's, 27 Dec 2014
Finally, finally I read "Christmas at Carrington's"! I have no idea what took me so much time, life getting in the way probably. I, in fact, wanted to read "Ice Creams at Carrington's" first but was advised to read the books in the right order, and so I guess I was just waiting for the right season :)

There is actually so much happening in this book that it's going to be really hard to summarize it in few sentences! It follows of course Georgie, still working at Carrington's, and still loving her job, but now also loving the very handsome Mr. Carrington as well. OK, their relationship only begins and there is still time for the big L - word but they enjoy each other's company and Tom gives Georgie Mr. Cheeky, a little cat, a present. But. Can she really trust Tom? He doesn't tell her a very significant news, namely that there is going to be a reality show in Carrington's, and that one episode was already made, and well, it comes really as a shock to Georgie to see herself shaking the lower part of her body to Beyonce's song in TV (secretly filmed! And they showed it in TV!). And well, after that everything goes a little pear - shaped... Working isn't as funny as it used to be, Kelly's (the one whose company is doing the reality show) daughter loathes Georgie at the first sight, the reality show isn't as reality as we think, and Tom... Well, Georgie and Tom are not a couple anymore. Or are they? But why doesn't Tom reply to her texts or answer her calls?

I'm not a big fan of reality shows but this time I enjoyed this show immensely, from the backstage and the in - house secrets to the filming, actors and the crew. And well, yeah, Georgie, so reluctant at first, enjoyed this show as well, hmm, what can a pair of nice high - heels or free dress do to change a girl's mind, no? But it was also great to see that even becoming a reality - show star didn't change Georgie and her friends, and even Eddie remained as he was. Thanks to the show there are some new characters introduced to us and I couldn't make out Kelly for a long time, didn't know what to think about her and her actions but it turned out that she wasn't the bad one, in contrast to her spoiled, bad daughter Zara. Still am not sure how old Zara was. Twelve? She behaved like this at least.

The reality show and real life, as it often happens, blend together and our Georgie stopped to be sure who is real and who's not, and what's real and what's not, and it also mixed with her real life. I always enjoy to see how the characters learn the hard way that being in the spotlight is not as great as they used to think, and that it brings much more chaos that it's in fact worth.

Georgie hasn't changed a lot. She's still a light spirit, warm, friendly and optimistic person, very prone to accident and adding two and two and getting five and a half. She quickly jumps to conclusions and often first does and only then thinks, which brings her to a lot of troubles of course, but that's Georgie for you. She's a queen of jumping to conclusions, let's be honest. And she really reminds me A LOT of Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) with her dreams and her seeing things as she'd like them to be, daydreaming and then landing hard and (un)expectedly on her bottom. But she wasn't naive and in fact stood firm on her own two feet. She's not perfect and this makes her the most perfect character, believable and true.
There is not much of Tom in the whole story, he's in fact always absent, on his trips and filming for the show as well, but from what we've seen, a picture was emerging, a picture of a handsome, nice, fair guy who loves kittens! Unbelievable, I know! Although he should have tried harder when it came to Georgie, even if they parted in not the greatest circumstances.
I adored Georgie's friendship with Sam, it was so natural, not at all too pushy, not too forced, it was just like a real friendship looks like, even when the friend in question is able to buy the whole store just to help the other friend. But the one who stole the whole show was for sure Eddie! He's such stereotypical gay character, he's such a diva, but he's so wonderfully brilliant and he lightened every scene that he entered.
This time the story also deals a little more with Georgie and her friend's Sam's private lives. We have Georgie's father on the scenes as well and Sam must come to terms with something very sad happening to her. So it's not only the shop in the spotlight, although it is a character of its own, that's for sure. Georgie's Dad was a great addition to the story, and thanks to his presence some secrets from his and his daughter's past are being revealed.

I liked this book. I think I liked it better than the first book in the series, it seemed to me much better thought over, matured and the writing style, though the first novel was really well written, was also greater. The whole package was just right. It was a little deeper than the "Cupcakes at Carrington's" in my opinion, had a little more depth to it, but of course it was still a funny, light, entertaining read.
Altogether, it was a great season - read, which could also be read throughout the whole year. Alex Brown has a talent to write in a light - hearted but sensitive way. Yes, the book was a tad predictable, and sometimes a little too soap - opera - ish, and the end felt a little too unbelievable and too rushed and too optimistic, but all in all I personally find it a sweet, cosy read with a feel - good factor to it. And am very, very glad that "Ice Creams at Carrington's" is already on my bookshelf and I can start reading it asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Dec 2014
Yay, we are back in Mulberry-on-Sea with Georgie J at Carringtins!!!
I couldn’t wait to read this story, I loved Cupcakes at Carrington’s and also Alexandra Brown’s short story after that.

Georgie Hart is a wonderful character full of energy, sweetness and much more. She works at Carrington’s on the Women’s Accessories Department. She loves her job and it’s always a pleasure to read about her workplace. Georgie is dating gorgeous and sexy Tom Carrington, the boss. The two of them are really sweet and adorable together. I think they have a great connection and their scenes were full of great moments and sweetness.

Well, everything changes when a film crew arrives and wants to feature Carrington’s and especially Georgie and Eddie. It seems that they show Georgie in a rather bad light. Tom knew all about that shoe and didn’t tell her, lots of misunderstandings and fast decisions lead to an end of their relationship. And a supposedly old flame of Tom is all involved in the show. Tom has to travel around for the show and there is no time to talk. I felt really bad for Georgie, because she was really trying and just wanted him back. I was glad that she had her best friends Sam and Eddie there with her. The best friends a girl could wish for. We also learn more about their stories, which was great. Sam goes through a tough time as well and Georgie never left her side – an admirable friendship.

Lots of drama and misunderstandings seem to make everything worse in Georgie’s life. Did Tom really send this message?! And the show changed her life as well. Tis book is not only full of great written drama, but also full of humour and refreshing moments. I couldn’t put this book down!!!! I just wanted Tom and Georgie to talk about it all and hopefully find back together.

It’s the perfect Christmas book as well, very festive and sweet, including family, friends and love.

I loved the last scene and especially where it was set and then also the epilogue.
Alexandra Brown is a brilliant writer, with a great and fresh voice!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 9 July 2014
Another brilliant easy read. Can't wait to start the next one. Must get more of her books to read. Asap

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book..., 16 Jun 2014
After enjoying Cupcakes at Carrington I wasn't disappointed with this book. I really felt like I knew the characters and lost myself completely in the story. A fa1bulous book to make you smile. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous reading, 28 May 2014
I loved this book. It really was great reading as are all the Carrington books I just wish there was a store like this where I lived. The Christmas one was my favourite and one which I will read again

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read....., 9 April 2014
I loved this book, I couldn't put it down. Cupcakes at Carringtons's is also an absolute fab read!! A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Lovely, 26 Feb 2014
Excellent, funny and truly lovely book. Christmas at Carringtons is well written and full of fabulousness, a perfect holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy reading, 14 Feb 2014
You will not want to put this book down. Great sequel, can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 30 Jan 2014
I love the story of Georgie . I would give this 6 stars if I could. Roll on the next installment.

Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2)
Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2) by Alexandra Brown (Paperback - 5 Dec 2013)