5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's
Published 18 months ago by Miss L Hawkins

As anyone who has read my previous reviews knows I love a good Christmas book and I am sucked in by any book with a Christmas theme. I wasn't blown away by the first in this series (Cupcakes at Carringtons) but decided to give Alexandra Brown a second chance.

Published 18 months ago by The Little Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2) (Paperback)
I could not wait to get my hands on Christmas at Carrington's and as it states on the back of the book enjoy in one sitting and that is exactly what i did! This book was written beautifully and it was a true pleasure in following Georgie's journey! I have given this book 5 stars as anything less would be ridiculous! For a Christmas chick lit read please please please choose Christmas at Carrington's you will not be disappointed! Praise for Alexandra Brown! Can not wait for the next installment xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the next one, 31 Dec. 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved Alexandra Brown's debut novel, Cupcakes at Carrington's, earlier this year so I'm impressed that I managed to resist the temptation to read her latest book Christmas at Carrington's as soon as I received a copy so that I could include it in my Christmas reading challenge.

Life for Georgie and the rest of the gang at Carrington's department store is about to get very interesting indeed after the board agrees to the filming of a reality TV show.... but how much of what is going on is real and how much is fiction? One thing's for sure life is certainly never dull when Georgie is around as she seems to find herself in the midst of all the drama...

Once again I found myself hooked from the very start and found myself laughing out loud at some of the antics I was reading, mostly involving Georgie, who seemed to be at the centre of when anything went wrong!

But amidst all of the laughter, there were a few scenes that made for emotional reading and I'm not ashamed to admit that I welled up as one particular plot reached its conclusion. One of the storylines I most enjoyed reading about was the rebuilding of a relationship between Georgie and her dad, something that I can relate to personally.

If you're a regular follower of my blog you'll already know that I'm a huge fan of book series so I'd been looking forward to this Carrington's series from Alexandra long before the first one was even published! And I'm pleased to say she hasn't disappointed me so far as I've loved both books so cannot wait to read more from the crew in her next book, Ice Creams at Carrington's, which is due out this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic to visit Carrington's again, 27 Dec. 2013
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I first visited the the Carrington's department store last year. Cupcakes at Carrington's was author, Alexandra Brown's, debut novel and was one that I enjoyed immensely leaving me eagerly waiting the next installment in the promised trilogy and again, Alexandra Brown has delivered a brilliant novel.

Christmas at Carrington's finds us back at Carrington's, Georgie is happy in the beginnings of her relationship with Mr Carrington and looking forward to Christmas. However, a reality TV show lands in Carrington's and day to day life for both the store and the staff is not the same again.

I had saved this book to read over Christmas and I was not disappointed. it was great to go back through the doors of Carrington's and catching up with staff members. As well as regular characters from book 1, there are new characters, mainly from the production company who are making the programme; most of whom I had an instant dislike to. I was upset that Tom Carrington's relationship with Georgie did not continue through the book, however with many hunky actors walking Carrington's shop floor I was hopefully one would catch her eye. It was great to see that Sam, owner of the cafe, and Georgie's closest friend also featured heavily within the book, never far from Georgie's side.

Although this book has Christmas in the title, most of the story is not festive - the grand finale is the Christmas party but it could be read at anytime of the year and enjoyed. All the beautiful and expensive bags that Georgie sells would make a great shopping list for any bagaholic!

There is lots of humour throughout the story, Eddie, Mr Carrington's personal assistant, provides much of this and I would love to meet him. He reminds me of Are you being served? - I imagine him as a cross between Mrs Slocambe and Mr Humphries. His scenes always left me with a smile on my face.

Alexandra Brown has written a fantastic second novel. She has continued to bring Carrington's to life and has managed to include Britain's love of docu soaps and fly on the wall documentaries within the book. However, there are also great storylines outside of Carrington's: Georgie's relationship with her father and Sam's desire for a baby to name two.

The third installment, Ice Cream at Carrington's, is due for release in June 2014 - I will be placing this on my 'Books to look forward to in 2014' list. There are so many directions that this could go in and I look forward to seeing what Alexandra has planned for Georgie, Sam and Tom!

This book is the second book in the trilogy and I would recommend reading Cupcakes at Carrington's first, however it is possible to read this as a standalone book if preferred.

The book finishes with a number of delicious sounding recipes from Sam's cafe and also Georgie's guide to the perfect festive party. I love when the book contains extras written by the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fabulous, festive and fun!, 12 Dec. 2013
It's nearing Christmas in Mulberry on Sea and to pull in some new customers, Carrington's is entering the realms of reality TV.
You thought TOWIE was shocking, you haven't seen anything yet!

Let's be honest, I was expecting wonderful things from Christmas at Carrington's and Alexandra Brown delivered so much more!

There's something wondrous about a book that can pull you in and have not just your mind, but your emotions submerged within the pages.
Alexandra Brown has such a wonderfully descriptive way with words, that means you soon find yourself lost in the world of Carrington's.
I found myself lusting after bags and purses, whilst my mouth was watering at the thought of the delicious cakes created by Sam.
And when I say my emotions were submerged, the biggest test of this was when, I felt myself wanting to jump into the pages and slap a character.
Such a nasty piece of work, with a vile mind and mouth!

With thanks to Eddie's flamboyant side, Georgie's love life, Sam's personal life and Tom's gorgeousness, this book kept me gripped for hours.
I always wanted one more chapter and as I turned the last page and found myself leaving behind the store, I was left
eagerly awaiting the opening of Carrington's next year and more so after that epilogue (wow)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this sequel, 7 Dec. 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
I read Cupcakes at Carrington's last month (see my review here ) and became completely engrossed with the running, romance and relationships in the seaside department store.

This festive fix is even better in my opinion-the characters are more finely developed, the humour is sharper and I love the plot. Our TVs are totally dominated by reality/dramality programmes and I can absolutely envisage Carrington's undergoing a Mary, Queen of Shops type revamp.

Georgie is likeable and real, and Tom Carrington as her love interest is charismatic and intriguing. Eddie is an absolute gem of a character, full of personality and quirks to keep the laughs and the one liners flowing.

This is a humorous and escapist read, although does also touch on some sensitive issues (one of which was a bit close to home for me and had me sobbing into a Kleenex at how beautifully Alexandra Brown had portrayed the painful emotion involved). Although this is a festive read it is not too heavy on the Christmas theme so could be enjoyed all year round.

I cannot wait for the next instalment from Carrington's in 2014!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite Christmas read but still worth a try - 3.5 stars, 20 Dec. 2013
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I enjoyed this slightly more. I love that it is set around a department store and the addition of the TV show was really interesting. It was a bit of a different Christmas read.

I did find it all very predictable and I guessed most things that were going to happen. It took me a while to read and I wasn't rushing to pick it up.

All in all, you could do a lot worse for a Christmas read. At its current kindle price, it's well worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, 20 Jan. 2014
I loved this book! So much! I'm a huge fan of Alex, she's a doll and so talented. She has the power to evoke such strong emotions and this book didn't fail to do just that.

I sobbed, big fat tears, some sad and some happy. I drooled over designer bags that I could see in my minds' eye. I was left envious of the gorgeous cakes.

But most of all, I got to spend time with my friends again! Georgie, Sam, Eddie, Ciaran, Tom and the whole gang are here again and it was heaven! The settings were more magical than in Cupcakes, there was more glitz and glamour and it was amazing!! I just can't find the words to tell you how fabulous this book is! Just read it if you haven't already!

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Carrington's, 27 Dec. 2014
Agi - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Finally, finally I read "Christmas at Carrington's"! I have no idea what took me so much time, life getting in the way probably. I, in fact, wanted to read "Ice Creams at Carrington's" first but was advised to read the books in the right order, and so I guess I was just waiting for the right season :)

There is actually so much happening in this book that it's going to be really hard to summarize it in few sentences! It follows of course Georgie, still working at Carrington's, and still loving her job, but now also loving the very handsome Mr. Carrington as well. OK, their relationship only begins and there is still time for the big L - word but they enjoy each other's company and Tom gives Georgie Mr. Cheeky, a little cat, a present. But. Can she really trust Tom? He doesn't tell her a very significant news, namely that there is going to be a reality show in Carrington's, and that one episode was already made, and well, it comes really as a shock to Georgie to see herself shaking the lower part of her body to Beyonce's song in TV (secretly filmed! And they showed it in TV!). And well, after that everything goes a little pear - shaped... Working isn't as funny as it used to be, Kelly's (the one whose company is doing the reality show) daughter loathes Georgie at the first sight, the reality show isn't as reality as we think, and Tom... Well, Georgie and Tom are not a couple anymore. Or are they? But why doesn't Tom reply to her texts or answer her calls?

I'm not a big fan of reality shows but this time I enjoyed this show immensely, from the backstage and the in - house secrets to the filming, actors and the crew. And well, yeah, Georgie, so reluctant at first, enjoyed this show as well, hmm, what can a pair of nice high - heels or free dress do to change a girl's mind, no? But it was also great to see that even becoming a reality - show star didn't change Georgie and her friends, and even Eddie remained as he was. Thanks to the show there are some new characters introduced to us and I couldn't make out Kelly for a long time, didn't know what to think about her and her actions but it turned out that she wasn't the bad one, in contrast to her spoiled, bad daughter Zara. Still am not sure how old Zara was. Twelve? She behaved like this at least.

The reality show and real life, as it often happens, blend together and our Georgie stopped to be sure who is real and who's not, and what's real and what's not, and it also mixed with her real life. I always enjoy to see how the characters learn the hard way that being in the spotlight is not as great as they used to think, and that it brings much more chaos that it's in fact worth.

Georgie hasn't changed a lot. She's still a light spirit, warm, friendly and optimistic person, very prone to accident and adding two and two and getting five and a half. She quickly jumps to conclusions and often first does and only then thinks, which brings her to a lot of troubles of course, but that's Georgie for you. She's a queen of jumping to conclusions, let's be honest. And she really reminds me A LOT of Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) with her dreams and her seeing things as she'd like them to be, daydreaming and then landing hard and (un)expectedly on her bottom. But she wasn't naive and in fact stood firm on her own two feet. She's not perfect and this makes her the most perfect character, believable and true.
There is not much of Tom in the whole story, he's in fact always absent, on his trips and filming for the show as well, but from what we've seen, a picture was emerging, a picture of a handsome, nice, fair guy who loves kittens! Unbelievable, I know! Although he should have tried harder when it came to Georgie, even if they parted in not the greatest circumstances.
I adored Georgie's friendship with Sam, it was so natural, not at all too pushy, not too forced, it was just like a real friendship looks like, even when the friend in question is able to buy the whole store just to help the other friend. But the one who stole the whole show was for sure Eddie! He's such stereotypical gay character, he's such a diva, but he's so wonderfully brilliant and he lightened every scene that he entered.
This time the story also deals a little more with Georgie and her friend's Sam's private lives. We have Georgie's father on the scenes as well and Sam must come to terms with something very sad happening to her. So it's not only the shop in the spotlight, although it is a character of its own, that's for sure. Georgie's Dad was a great addition to the story, and thanks to his presence some secrets from his and his daughter's past are being revealed.

I liked this book. I think I liked it better than the first book in the series, it seemed to me much better thought over, matured and the writing style, though the first novel was really well written, was also greater. The whole package was just right. It was a little deeper than the "Cupcakes at Carrington's" in my opinion, had a little more depth to it, but of course it was still a funny, light, entertaining read.
Altogether, it was a great season - read, which could also be read throughout the whole year. Alex Brown has a talent to write in a light - hearted but sensitive way. Yes, the book was a tad predictable, and sometimes a little too soap - opera - ish, and the end felt a little too unbelievable and too rushed and too optimistic, but all in all I personally find it a sweet, cosy read with a feel - good factor to it. And am very, very glad that "Ice Creams at Carrington's" is already on my bookshelf and I can start reading it asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Dec. 2014
Yay, we are back in Mulberry-on-Sea with Georgie J at Carringtins!!!
I couldn’t wait to read this story, I loved Cupcakes at Carrington’s and also Alexandra Brown’s short story after that.

Georgie Hart is a wonderful character full of energy, sweetness and much more. She works at Carrington’s on the Women’s Accessories Department. She loves her job and it’s always a pleasure to read about her workplace. Georgie is dating gorgeous and sexy Tom Carrington, the boss. The two of them are really sweet and adorable together. I think they have a great connection and their scenes were full of great moments and sweetness.

Well, everything changes when a film crew arrives and wants to feature Carrington’s and especially Georgie and Eddie. It seems that they show Georgie in a rather bad light. Tom knew all about that shoe and didn’t tell her, lots of misunderstandings and fast decisions lead to an end of their relationship. And a supposedly old flame of Tom is all involved in the show. Tom has to travel around for the show and there is no time to talk. I felt really bad for Georgie, because she was really trying and just wanted him back. I was glad that she had her best friends Sam and Eddie there with her. The best friends a girl could wish for. We also learn more about their stories, which was great. Sam goes through a tough time as well and Georgie never left her side – an admirable friendship.

Lots of drama and misunderstandings seem to make everything worse in Georgie’s life. Did Tom really send this message?! And the show changed her life as well. Tis book is not only full of great written drama, but also full of humour and refreshing moments. I couldn’t put this book down!!!! I just wanted Tom and Georgie to talk about it all and hopefully find back together.

It’s the perfect Christmas book as well, very festive and sweet, including family, friends and love.

I loved the last scene and especially where it was set and then also the epilogue.
Alexandra Brown is a brilliant writer, with a great and fresh voice!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab Chick Lit!, 16 Dec. 2013
I needed something to put me into the Christmas mood and Christmas at Carringtons fitted the bill nicely.
This is the second book in the Carringtons series with a novella in between,but don't worry if you haven't read the first two just dive into this and you'll soon catch up.
Georgie is a lovely girl who's had quite a rough time in her youth but she now has the love of her life Tom Carrington to call her own,or does she? A reality show is taking place at the store and Georgie has been filmed without her knowledge and made to look a fool. She is so mad at Tom for not warning her in advance that their relationship is put on hold and the horrible Zara is waiting in the wings to steal Tom.
We catch up with her bests friends Sam and Eddie and find out how they deal with becoming reality stars.
Georgie also has some problems adapting to her father's new life and finding out some truths from the past.
There are some fun scenes in this book as Kelly who's presenting the reality show engages actors to cause problems and make complaints. The staff have full celebrity makeovers and have to handle fame.
I found this to be a good fun read especially as I'm watching Liberty of London's reality show on TV it made me think of what actually goes on during the making of those kind of shows.
Alexandra Brown is doing well with her Carringtons series and a little bird told me there's another due out in June,I can't wait to see what Georgie, Sam and Eddie will be up to then.

Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2)
Christmas at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 2) by Alexandra Brown (Paperback - 5 Dec. 2013)