2,303 Reviews
 (1,284)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!
I've just finished reading this book and felt compelled to write a review. This is one of the best books I've ever read. The characters are fabulous and so life like I felt part of the story. I laughed out loud numerous times while reading the book and also felt my heart swell with sadness at the missed opportunities that Rachel and Ben let pass them by. I did not want...
Published on 21 Nov 2012 by lolaholic

1.0 out of 5 stars :(
Bought this book with all the high reviews, I do purchase alot of books and can at times go through a few a week. This book just didnt grab my attention at all, I found myself reading so far waiting for something to happen and it didnt, was just long and drawn out. I would give up and read another purchase, finishing that and going back to this book and the same thing...
Published 23 months ago by Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 13 Nov 2012
Loved the book. Good characters. Good story line. Humour, romance and a some bad guys. Looking forward to this author's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 13 Nov 2012
I fell in live with this book right from the beginning. It's one of those great books that you just have to finish, impossible to put down and becomes your world while your reading it.
I can't wait for Mhairi's second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars First page good,last page great, pages in between ? Just fabulous..., 3 Dec 2012
What a simply wonderful, enjoyable book. In a genre that is as crowded as it is weary, this book had real, flawed, not always loveable - but always funny - characters developed just right. Does the story have a predictable ending ? A) none of your business until you actually buy the book, and B) are you rushing to be somewhere ? don't worry about the end, just enjoy the hundreds of pages of warmth, wit, spot-on observational humour, and a tale full of people you just want to have as your mates. (Just to be clear - I do have real mates, ok?)
Buy it, read it, feel better. End of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look at the cover, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
In this case you really can tell a book by the cover. I wasted valuable reading time on this book. If you want an unbelievable love story with no moral or purpose, this is it. I am sure that anyone under the age of 25 will love it - anyone over 25 should pull out their old Jackie magazines because the content will be much the same.
Sorry Mhairi, I guess your experiences had to be limited to what you knew and this reads like something written by a 30 year old for twenty year olds. In summary it lacked substance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it..., 9 Nov 2012
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There is nothing remotely contrived about this book, it is evident from the opening chapter that Mhairi McFarlane has a real skill with words. Her narrative is sharp and sassy, and she infuses her characters with such an abundance of spirit, that it is an absolute joy to read about them. Rachel and Ben's story engulfs from the very beginning, and alongside some laugh out loud funny moments, there are some situations which really tug on the old heart strings. When I finished reading the book I felt quite bereft, it was almost like I had lost some good friends, and unusually for me, I was sorely tempted to start back at the beginning and read the whole story again.

Without doubt, You Had Me At Hello is one of the best "rom-com" books I have read in a long time, and I look forward to reading more books by Mhairi McFarlane in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy and absorbing read, 3 Jan 2013
There must be many books based on chance meetings between two long-lost friends with a mysterious history, but You Had Me At Hello manages to never feel contrived. It is written skilfully - McFarlane has an excellent way with words - and with great humour. Initially, I was drawn to the book by its setting. The story feels firmly rooted in Manchester, with references to the toaster rack building on Oxford Road and Affleck's Palace. The supporting characters are also fantastic. Each feels like an individual, with those that you love to love and those you love to hate. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars It had me from the first page, 28 Dec 2012
Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
From the first page to the last, I was completely hooked. In a book market which is already heavy in romance stories and many of which already cover the first-love-returns theme, it is clear to understand why this is featured on Kindle's bestseller list.

The story is told from the perspective of Rachel, who suddenly meets Ben again ten years after leaving university with unfinished business. Rachel has throughout that time been with Rhys and breaks up with him shortly before Ben returns. The story goes between the present day and their university days, showing that what Rachel and Ben had was actually something quite deep. It was good to see how Ben and love in general fitted into other aspects of Rachel's life, such as her work and her social life - seeing Rachel with her friends and at work actually helped make her feel more real. Both Rachel and Ben are easy to like and you can feel for them during their various struggles because they just happen to be situations that can happen to anyone.

A wonderful story which had the ability to make me laugh out loud and make me come close to crying. At various points, I was convinced it was going to have a happy ending and at other points I thought it was going to end in tears and even in the last chapter I had no idea which way it was going to go. No hesitation in giving this a five star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars The characters didn't grab me, but great writing style and humour from McFarlane, 20 Dec 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This debut novel was one I was really looking forward to as Amazon reviewers all seemed to be raving about it! With 244 Reviews and an overall score of 4.5/5 I was pretty sure that I would feel the same as the majority and love this book. Rachel and Ben are the main characters and are friends that share history. They both attended University together and formed a bond that seemed back then unbreakable. Fast forward ten years and things are very different. Rachel and Rhys have been together for years but as they near their agreed wedding, Rachel and Rhys split up. Add to the mix the re-appearance of Ben in Manchester and the story starts to warm up.

If I'm being 100% honest I struggled with the first few chapters and wondered whether I could get to grips with this character. Thankfully a few more chapters in I had started to warm to Rachel. The author manages to weave the past story into the current one seamlessly and it made it easy for the story to build layers which I liked. The one thing that is crystal clear is that Mhairi McFarlane has a brilliant sense of humour. Some of the lines that were in this book were very funny, but maybe because I wasn't overly keen on Rachel, they lost their shine a little.

The story got a lot more interesting as the reader sees what has happened in the past and I certainly found it harder to put down, especially towards the end of the book. The ending was a little predictable but to be honest I can see why so many really enjoyed this book. I am putting my middle of the road attitude down to my difficulties with the characters. On the flip side of the coin, is Mhairi continues to write with this much humour and style it wont take her long to gain a following, and that will no doubt include me. Although I only gave it 3/5 I am actually really looking forward to the next novel and look forward to seeing what she can do the second time around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, heartbreaking, unashamedly pro-diabetes, 2 Dec 2012
As an unashamed fan of romcoms who is also a raging feminist, I often have a hard time finding a romance that doesn't want to make me scrape my eyes out in despair (The Ugly Truth, I'm looking at you with scarred eye tissue. Ouch). McFarlane's witty debut was not only full of delightful characters, sparkling banter, and a by-turns funny and poignant plot, it was free from brand-name dropping, klutzy weight-obsessed heroines who work at glossy fashion mags, and hedge-fund managers named Troy. Rachel and Ben were a couple I could root for -- people I recognized, who I could actually believe I would know in real life (and be friends with, obviously), and more importantly, people I found genuinely funny and wanted to spend more time with even once the book was over. You can't really ask for more from a romance. Two half-burned bras up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, hilarious and touching, 14 Nov 2012
C. Day - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book. The relationships feel true to life, the characters are convincing, the plot whips along and it is truly, hysterically funny. I can't wait to read it again and pick out some of the best one-liners for use in everyday life. You completely fall for Rachel and Ben, who are both brilliant, and feel like your best friends by the time you've finished reading. Will be a Christmas present for plenty of friends- I can't recommend it enough.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane (Paperback - 6 Dec 2012)