on 11 October 2012
Beautiful book, though I wish it'd had the full dust cover (available if you buy it from Waterstones) instead of the "tracing paper" slip with the title on it.
I got it to get it signed by Sir David at a special event (Talk, Q & A, then book-signing) which was well worth the effort as I've always wanted to meet him and shake his hand and a book-signing is the best opportunity.
If you're just a fan of the lovely birds themselves then this book is a treat, no photos, all art-work, and the fascinating history of their discovery. I personally would have liked some photos to counterpoint the art-work but then that would be a different kind of book. This book concentrates on the myths and misconceptions of history.
Having seen David Attenborough's several attempts at glimpsing birds of paradise in the wild, culminating in the success captured in Attenborough in Paradise, I'd become aware of Gould's illustrations of these amazing birds, and wanted to get a few somehow. This became possible, along with the work of numerous other very talented artists, both old and new, with this handsome publication.

I was able to get my copy signed by both Attenborough and Fuller, in our home town, Cambridge, which was an added bonus. I must confess that thus far I've just spent all my time looking at the pictures, and have barely read any of the text. So I won't attempt to comment on that! But I really got this for the artwork - as an illustrator and sometime artist myself, I'm happy that its all artwork, and no photography - and on that count this scores very highly: lots of beautifully reproduced and wonderfully observed drawings and paintings.
on 12 April 2013
I remember as a child dragging my poor Auntie Doris around Tring Zoological Museum most Summer holidays. My favorites were the Birds of Paradise. The illustrations in this book lovingly recreate those memories. A must for David Attenborough fans and Bird-lovers alike.
on 27 May 2015
This is written on behalf of my friend MANDY from Tunbridge Wells who has no computer:

I just want to say how proud I am to have such a beautiful book on my shelf. It's not every day you get to meet both your heroes. You have both given me inspiration for my own artwork over the years. I could not put two better people together. I was speechless on the day {I met you}. I found it very moving. It was worth the wait in gold. Best wishes and good luck with future books. MANDY.
on 6 March 2013
Admittedly there's not much reading in this book but the art work is amazing and there are some interesting facts about birds of Paradise. The book itself is great quality and looks good even just sitting on the coffee table, everyone who has picked up this book have commented on how beautiful the art work is
on 17 December 2012
This is the most incredible book I have ever had the privilege to read. It reflects the wonders of nature as it is expressed by those birds as no other! It is a vital part of the library of all of us who are forever fascinated by nature and all of its wonders. Kudos to Mr. Attenborough, thank you!
on 6 December 2012
Beautiful book and very good value with stunning reproductions of the original paintings.

Would recommend to anyone captivated by the Natural World and Sir David Attenborough's passion.

This book would make a lovely gift. .
on 26 December 2012
Received as a Christmas present. I have only managed to flick thru pages but what I have seen look amazing art work and I look forward to sitting reading it once the festive season is over. Beautiful book.
on 7 June 2013
Fantastic book that will appeal to naturalists and artists alike, people that I have shown it to are impressed with all the images and I loved the information in the text, great book, would highly recomment
on 18 December 2012
A 'different' bird book and a fantastic one.Sumptious paintings alongside the fascinating history of the discovery of these birds.
I never expected Errol Flynn to appear in a bird book ?