‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with an historical slant, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Drawn From Paradise: The Discovery, Art and Natural History of the Birds of Paradise (Hardcover)
Beautiful book, though I wish it'd had the full dust cover (available if you buy it from Waterstones) instead of the "tracing paper" slip with the title on it.
I got it to get it signed by Sir David at a special event (Talk, Q & A, then book-signing) which was well worth the effort as I've always wanted to meet him and shake his hand and a book-signing is the best opportunity.
If you're just a fan of the lovely birds themselves then this book is a treat, no photos, all art-work, and the fascinating history of their discovery. I personally would have liked some photos to counterpoint the art-work but then that would be a different kind of book. This book concentrates on the myths and misconceptions of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of beautiful art, 4 Mar. 2013
Sebastian Palmer "sebuteo" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Having seen David Attenborough's several attempts at glimpsing birds of paradise in the wild, culminating in the success captured in Attenborough in Paradise, I'd become aware of Gould's illustrations of these amazing birds, and wanted to get a few somehow. This became possible, along with the work of numerous other very talented artists, both old and new, with this handsome publication.

I was able to get my copy signed by both Attenborough and Fuller, in our home town, Cambridge, which was an added bonus. I must confess that thus far I've just spent all my time looking at the pictures, and have barely read any of the text. So I won't attempt to comment on that! But I really got this for the artwork - as an illustrator and sometime artist myself, I'm happy that its all artwork, and no photography - and on that count this scores very highly: lots of beautifully reproduced and wonderfully observed drawings and paintings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 12 April 2013
Linda H (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I remember as a child dragging my poor Auntie Doris around Tring Zoological Museum most Summer holidays. My favorites were the Birds of Paradise. The illustrations in this book lovingly recreate those memories. A must for David Attenborough fans and Bird-lovers alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 6 Mar. 2013
Admittedly there's not much reading in this book but the art work is amazing and there are some interesting facts about birds of Paradise. The book itself is great quality and looks good even just sitting on the coffee table, everyone who has picked up this book have commented on how beautiful the art work is

5.0 out of 5 stars "Drawn from Paradise", 17 Dec. 2012
This is the most incredible book I have ever had the privilege to read. It reflects the wonders of nature as it is expressed by those birds as no other! It is a vital part of the library of all of us who are forever fascinated by nature and all of its wonders. Kudos to Mr. Attenborough, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, 6 Dec. 2012
Beautiful book and very good value with stunning reproductions of the original paintings.

Would recommend to anyone captivated by the Natural World and Sir David Attenborough's passion.

This book would make a lovely gift. .

5.0 out of 5 stars A Work of Art, 26 Dec. 2012
Received as a Christmas present. I have only managed to flick thru pages but what I have seen look amazing art work and I look forward to sitting reading it once the festive season is over. Beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant buy the book, 7 Jun. 2013
Fantastic book that will appeal to naturalists and artists alike, people that I have shown it to are impressed with all the images and I loved the information in the text, great book, would highly recomment

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 18 Dec. 2012
A 'different' bird book and a fantastic one.Sumptious paintings alongside the fascinating history of the discovery of these birds.
I never expected Errol Flynn to appear in a bird book ?

5.0 out of 5 stars inspired me to go to new guinea, 17 Aug. 2014
Viktor Wynd (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
a really beautiful book - inspired me to visit New Guinea and see the birds displaying in the wild - not to mention filling me with a longing to possess some 19th century cabinet skins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›