4.0 out of 5 stars Depraved world of inflicted suffering and snuff clubs
Published 22 months ago by Sussman

3.0 out of 5 stars familiar ending left me feeling a little disappointed
"The Cutting Room" sees the (eventual) return of prosecutor CJ Townsend, and locked up, multiple killer Bill Bantling.

*** spoiler ***

Published 23 months ago by Su

4.0 out of 5 stars Depraved world of inflicted suffering and snuff clubs, 14 Sep 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I get into the review of this crime fiction novel it is important note that while the author gives background to her significant characters that have appeared previously in other books, I believe to `fully enjoy' this novel, one needs to have read `Retribution' and `Last Witness'. While these books cannot be called a true series, the characters such as CJ Townsend and Bill Bantling, seem to `populate' all three books with their traits, working practice and have their own narrative framed within the text of each story told.

That said I found this a pretty high strung thriller set against a frame work of the sick and depraved world of inflicted suffering and snuff clubs. Some of the main ingredients are very good attention to detail by using some sharp dialogue, well researched legal and forensic practice. The narrative is `crisp' and the relationships forged between the lawyer Daria di Bianchi and detective is well managed and convincing.
In part the story takes one to the edge-of-the-seat. For me the ending was a genuine surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars The final in the CJ Trilogy, 27 July 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read all of Jilliane Hoffman's books and have never been less than impressed. She has produced two books featuring prosecutor C.J Townsend and two stand alone books. This fifth release is a mixture of the two. We see Assistant State Attorney Daria Bianchi and Detective Manny Alvarez work a case that involves a snuff club. We also see the return of C.J Townsend just before the halfway mark in this book.

Daria and Manny make for fantastic reading as they both have such unique personalities. Manny Alvarez is a veteran cop whose nickname is The Bear and Daria is a hot-headed Italian woman trying to make her mark in the world. They make a great team and at the start of the book we see them clash heads as they uncover what looks to be a dangerous game of men watching women be raped and then murdered in the so called snuff-club.

The re-introduction of C.J and the serial killer on death row Bill Bantling aka `Cupid' had me reading a lot quicker that I thought. As it has been a while since I read the CJ books I worried I would lose the thread but the plot is re-covered for the benefit of those having not read previous books. As I read on I remembered why Jilliane's books always had me hooked. They are extremely dark reading and I always find myself feeling the fear as much as the characters as we see the chase for the suspects who are cursed with these sick and perverted minds.

The story has a lot going on and there are numerous threads that are woven in to the story including past crimes committed and the involvement of Bill Bantling, the serial killer on Death Row. At around the mark the pace picks up considerably and I continued reading until I was done. I was both shocked and pleased by the time I had finished. Shocked at the outcome of one particular thread in the story and pleased that JH was just as good as I remembered. It was good to have some conclusions in the last part of the CJ trilogy and although this took me longer than usual to get in to, it was no less thrilling than her other books.

I have to say overall that her last stand alone book slightly holds the edge for me but this book was clever and thoughtful making for a gripping read that had me checking my windows at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just another add-on, 30 July 2012
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So many writers (no names given you know who you are)with serial characters simply put out another volume of the exploits of D.I. Soandso or ASA MsThing wrapped up in some kind of formula tale to include at least one breakfast-losing scenario but not the wonderful Jilliane Hoffman. She bides her time and when the time is right hits us between the eyes with a work of crime genius such as the new book "The Cutting Room" with its multi-pun meanings.

She writes so well and so convincingly that I experienced some genuine literary deja vues when her character C.J. Townsend (and her many aliases) makes a stunning and totally chaotic appearance well into the main body of the book.

It is no spoiler to say that this new novel deals with the extremely disturbing idea of a "snuff club" ~ who knew that such things might have leaked into the 21st century and the team of Daria and Manny investigate crimes almost too disturbing to contemplate though in Ms Hoffman's capable hands I couldnt put the book down.

There are some stand out "performances" notably Daria at her dad's birthday party ~ brilliantly written back story and the central scene, the visit to interview Bill Bantling aka Cupid which was so powerful it is hardly surprising that Hannibal Lecter's creator, Thomas Harris has thrown in his quill.

This is an excellent read and I would have given a sprinkling more of stars had I been allowed

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cutting Room by Jilliane Hoffman, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to any crime/thriller readers. It has the suspense that is 100% required. The characters become quite endearing and you hear yourself saying ''I hope they aren't murdered, I would quite like them to survive and life on'' but you never know who will be next.
The writer writes in a style that is interesting and that makes you not just want but 'need' to carry on turning the pages.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I have never read a Jilliane Hoffman novel before but I certainly will be looking out for these novels again as thy are right up my street.
Very impressed
Trish H-Morris ( a huge thriller/detective reader enthusiast)

3.0 out of 5 stars familiar ending left me feeling a little disappointed, 30 Aug 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

*** spoiler ***

There are a couple of massively signposted "coincidences" and an interesting ending, but, I read a lot of this genre of story and "Silence of the Lambs" meets "Dexter" came to mind as the book came to a conclusion.

*** end of spoiler ***

The story is a little on the disappointing side as it takes more than half the book to really kick it up out of neutral.

If you have read the other two books and want to see the next turn in the life of CJ Townsend and where the series will head next then it is worth wading through the muddy first half to get to the conclusion.

I would point out that in order to understand what's going on it would be a good idea to read the previous 2 books in this series first (Retribution and Last Witness), rather than just diving in and hoping that you get the drift of what's going on and who's linked to whom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling!, 10 Aug 2012
Alison Petrie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm surprised Ms Hoffman isn't better known in this country because she really is very good at what she does. "The Cutting Room" rattles along at a cracking pace and I couldn't put it down. What I found very unsettling about the whole premise of snuff movies is that one can imagine this happening. It is not a graphic book but, at the same time, manages to chill very well and you can clearly envisage what the victims went through.

You have the unlikely relationship between Manny Alvarez and Daria De Bianchi, both thinking that they're not well suited, and yet suddenly finding that they are in love. You have C.J. Townsend and her history is what cuts to the heart, her brutal rape and how it influences the rest of her life and ruins her marriage. In Bill Bantling, you have evil personified and it all ties together in an engrossing but disturbing read. Disturbing because Ms Hoffman writes so well in a style that, whilst not overly explicit as to the perpetrated violence, plays on your mind!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read but a bit of a let down, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Paperback)
Having read some of Jilliane Hoffman's others book i thought this would more or less the same but how wrong was I. The book started off ok drawing you into it but half way into the book it lost the plot. There was a lot of cross reference to her book retribution which is fine if you had not read it but a bit annoying and without giving to much away i found the ending very disappointing. So all in all its a ok read but do be prepared to feel a bit deflated towards the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another book to keep you up, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed all Jilliane Hoffman's books. I wasn't aware of this one until yesterday so I downloaded it and read it straight away. I am a bit bleary eyed but satisfied. This is a great page-turner if you like the serial killer genre as I do.
I have given it 4 stars as it is not quite perfect - the CJ storyline was a bit clunky and obviously introduced to set up the next book but it didn't really detract from the main plotline

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Kindle Edition)
Not for the faint hearted, but I loved it, if you want mills and boon, this is not the book for you

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointng, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Hardcover)
Was looking forward to this after reading her other books but very disappointed. Too wordy, not enough happening to keep interest and then the total disappearance of one of the main characters with no explanation of how she died.

The Cutting Room
The Cutting Room by Jilliane Hoffman (Paperback - 17 Jan 2013)
3.85