5.0 out of 5 stars Enough to give an adult nightmares.
Published 8 months ago by bex taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story made into a long book
I'm hard put to award two stars for this outing for DI Sean Corrigan. I read the previous book and found, in my review, that much of what I could say about this book is still with us, only more so.

Published 10 months ago by Michael Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough to give an adult nightmares., 27 Mar 2014
I only discovered Luke's second book in the DI Corrigan series at the beginning of the week. I read this one first as somebody wrongfully informed me it was the first, I loved it. I then went on to read the first and needless to say I became hooked, I downloaded The Toy Taker Tuesday and I finished it last night, I couldn't put it down, the storyline was fantastic, a little creepy too, I can imagine even more so for those with children of their own. if you haven't read any Luke Delaney yet I would HIGHLY recommend, you won't be disappointed, in some crime fiction I've read some of the stories can get a little far fetched but not with this one, the book constantly keeps you thinking and guessing.... brilliant is all I can really say. cannot wait for the next in the series, don't know what I'm going to read till then!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick to read, believable, crime fiction with plenty of pace and atmosphere., 27 Mar 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Di Sean Corrigan 3) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Delaney's experience as a police officer, ex CID, helps him add certain bits and pieces to what might otherwise be considered 'standard' crime fiction and take it to another level.

There's nothing particularly unique about The Toy Taker. This is crime fiction written to formula but; it's a decent read and lead character, DI Sean Corrigan, is certainly developing since his last appearance in The Keeper. The core of the plot surrounds the abduction of a child, four year old George Bridgeman, snatched from his home in the night with no sign of break in and little in the way of clues. Unfortunately for Corrigan he's still suffering the after effects of his last investigation and his 'coppers intuition' is way out of tune. The Cat and Mouse chase is leading nowhere when, suddenly, another child is taken and it seems worse is to come.

There's a nice feeling of being unsettled throughout this novel. The crime and police investigation are believable which makes it quite disturbing while the fast pace adds to the tension. There's nothing here that takes too much thinking about but I'd happily recommend The Toy Taker as quick to read and a decent crime fiction.

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story made into a long book, 19 Feb 2014
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

It's boring, repetitive and hardly thrilling. Corrigan is a disorientated person, searching for someone to show him the way to solve the crimes. He even resorts to a priest to point him in the right direction.

Meanwhile, the kidnapper of small children is busy talking to his dead wife and, of course, God so we have pages upon pages of this very disturbed person's dialogue with non-existant forces. Sad, really.

The kidnapper carefully and expertly enters houses at night and abducts the child. In the first case, we are given a detailed scenario as he goes about his business. This is fine, we begin to see the man is at least good at something. However, we have the same detailed picture of every other kidnapping. You can skip pages and carry on where you left off, only to be met with more pages of dialogue with God.

As for Corrigan, he does his own thing, though not very well. Why he believes himself capable of visualising the inner mind of the criminal is at odds with the results. Any half-decent detective could have solved this case halfway through the book. Instead Corrigan swoops on a rather vile man feeling that htis is the kidnapper. He isn't and when finally we reach the rather soft finale, there is no mention of the original chappie and the part he is supposed to have played in the story.

Oh, then there's the AC Addis, Corrigan's boss. Either our police force is filled with people who are not fit for the purpose - as we are led to believe or this pantomime character is in the book just to appease those who have a thing about bobbies not working their way through the ranks. And then his family life. How and why he has one, I'm not sure.

After The Keeper, I was really hoping Luke Delaney would have upped his game. Sadly, not, so much so that I find myself not looking forward to the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a great fan of UK's detective fiction, 17 July 2014
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a great fan of UK's detective fiction. However, this book was so well written, and unusual that I found myself gripped from the beginning. DI Corrigan is a well portrayed, character detective. This wonderfully gripping novel has you on the edge of your seat, as a young child goes missing from his bed in a locked, alarmed house with his parents ad sibling sleeping soundly on....The parents were the first suspects - how could it happen??? where was the body they might have concealed- until another child goes missing. the intruder takes a favourite toy from the child and returns to the bedside with the toy to lure the child away "to a magic place", half-asleep, and so happy to be reuinted with their adored toy the child follows willingly.

Things heat up fast, as DI Corrigan is transferred from his local cop shop to Scotland Yard, forming a new squad for serious crimes but it comes with a heavy price. He and his whole team must make it work and fast or they will be broken up and sent to provincial police units to work on lesser uninteresting crimes. His new boss puts pressure on, expecting results in 48hrs...and the kidnapping continues. Meanwhile Corrigan's wife and children hate the new hours he is working so he is under stress form all angles. Will he survive? Read the book for this really hot-wired realistic UK detective up there with the likes of Mark Billingham's early work.

This is the third book in the series but I came in cold never havig read Luke Delaney before but the book is so well written it can serve as a stand-alone novel.Not to be missed by lovers of good crime fiction

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Mar 2014
Having read both his previous books and found them to be really good reads , I pre ordered this one .
What a disappointment , he appears to have changed from a winning formula , to a plodding frankly ludicrous plot .
The police are useless and by the end I just wanted to be finished with it .
I will be very wary about buying any more Luke Delaney books!

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed, 18 Jun 2014
J. Mcfarlane "bookworm" (oxfordshire, uk) - See all my reviews
i bought all three of luke delaney books & hoped i was in for a good read, i was utterly disappointed in his third book toy taker, it was a lot of who shot john, it was long & drawn out & i got to the point i didn't want to pick it up & finish it, hope his fourth boo will be better or i won't be buying any more.life is too short to read bad books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 Mar 2014
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I did enjoy this book (if enjoy is the right word) maybe I was intrigued by the story line.

A poor child is abducted from his room in the dead of night, with no sign of a break in. Police are baffled but think that the locks were picked. This is just the start of a new case for Corrigan. Corrigan it seems is able to see the sceens of crime in his head. This adds a little more depth to his character

I think this was a great book well written. I have enjoyed a previous book by Luke and I am looking forward to reading the keeper. I know I should have read these in order but I cant resist a pristine book to read when it is in front of me.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd in the series, 19 Aug 2014
This is the 3rd outing for the insightful DI Sean Corrigan, and we again see him use his 'dark gift' to try and solve the case, this time involving the kidnapping of a small child. The only problem is, this time his insight seems to have left him in the lurch, as his mind has become cluttered with other things, such as an office move to New Scotland Yard from Peckham, where he is to head up a Serious Crimes Unit, responsible for crimes across the whole of London instead of the South East as was the case before, much to the dismay of his wife and kids whom he never gets to see.

After four year old George Bridgeman is taken from his own bedroom, in a house situated in an affluent area, by a very skilled lock picker who seems to have prior knowledge of the house, we follow Corrigan and is team as he not only tries to solve the case, but also battles internal bureaucracy from the Assistant Commissioner Addis, who is breathing down Sean's neck most of the time and wanting a quick result! But there is no quick fix in this case, and Corrigan ends up chasing down leads while the taker of children strikes again, in a similar manner.

Having read the first two books in the series, Cold Killing and The Keeper, I have to say I've found this my least favorite so far, although that's not to say it's a bad book by any means. I feel the pace and personality of the criminal here are just different compared to the first two books, but still the plot keeps you guessing and the characterization is strong. Being also from London myself, I like to read books set in London in a setting I'm familiar with.

Overall a very good read, a must for all fans of U.K crime fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toytastic, 13 Aug 2014
Ms. R. E. Winfield "samroz3" (England) - See all my reviews
Having read Delaney's first two books which I absolutely loved I was keen to buy Toy Taker, which my boyfriend bought me as a lovely surprise.

Delaney's books are gripping and believable and more gritty and realistic than those from other crime writers, he has real life experience in the Police and I think this shows in his book from his references to how mental health offenders are sentenced, his references to forensic science and evidence collection, and also his passion to show empathy for the perpetrator and take a psychological stance rather than purely vilify them, he also makes his characters more deep and philosophical than some of the more fluffy and flippant detectives in books by other authors, and concentrates mainly on the detective work than adding frivolous characters and describing the insignificant interactions between them like some other books do. I also like his references and descriptions of real life London which add to the realism.

In terms of the Toy Taker I thought it was a good book, it stayed true to the D.I Corrigan character which dare I say I suspect is based on Delaney's perception of his own personality, the plot was based around a kidnapping and had a few twists which were interesting enough and the psychology of the perpetrator as well as the moralistic point of the book was distinct, poignant, and relevant. I enjoyed reading the book and thought it was well written in typical Delaney style, and it did not disappoint.

The reason I have given it 4 stars instead of the typical 5 I usually give to Delany's work is that I have compared this book to his first two, and I preferred the first two books, but may be I am just getting greedy. This book compared to the other two did not give me the same gripped by the edge of my seat feel or sense of urgency that the other two provided, and I guess this is probably because of the nature and character of the perpetrator which gave it a softer feel, but I felt with this book I didn't really connect with it as much as the other two or care so much about the victims (although I know that sounds callous). What I do enjoy about Delaney's books though is that he puts forward the reasons behind the perpetrators actions which allows for understanding rather than pure condemnation and I think this is a more helpful and balanced view of criminals in general and allows for much debate in terms of criminal justice and restoration.

Overall well written, good plot, great characters, but not as good as the first two books and would have preferred a bigger twist, however, still very clever and worthy of a read. I am looking forward to the next instalment of D.I Corrigan and urge Mr Delaney to please write some more quickly so I can get my next literary fix.

3.0 out of 5 stars I have only recently started reading Luke Delaneys books and ..., 22 Aug 2014
I have only recently started reading Luke Delaneys books and I have to say that I preferred his first two to The Toy Taker, The trouble with this book was that the antagonist in this was picking locks and letting himself into people's houses, when all the police had to do was let the public know, they would have put their bolts on and stopped him getting into their homes.

The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Di Sean Corrigan 3)
The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Di Sean Corrigan 3) by Luke Delaney (Hardcover - 13 Feb 2014)