The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£3.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 13 June 2014
I couldn't wait to read this book after Luke Delaney's fantastic first book "Cold Killing" which was probably my favourite read all year,but i was to be so disappointed with this.
The story started well but there was far too much tedious and repetative build up,far too many nasty rape and masturbation scenes which i found very uncomfortable to read and then suddenly the book ended in about six pages leaving me feeling i had lost a couple of chapters somewhere.
Not a book i would recommend.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The second novel in the DI Sean Corrigan series. The first book "Cold Killing" was hard to put down. The author himself was in the police force so he knows the procedures. Beware that if you are reading this book before 'Cold Killing' that he does mention the villain in that book several times! Gripping. Not for the faint hearted.The narrative of the key people does keep your attention. A good read. The main detective character is likeable and has his own issues and that adds to the intrigue. Psychological edge. It might be the second in the series but it works as a stand alone tale. This is not a who dunnit, you know who the responsible party from the start. It is a well written police procedural with a DI who has some rather insightful investigative processes that don't always make sense to his colleagues. Excellent writing, great characters, the story flowed well and kept me guessing until the end. If you're a fan of crime thrillers, you'll be hooked. Delaney not only looks at the Police investigation side of catching a killer he delves into reasons why people end up being killers and explores their psychological motivations. The book is also well balanced, showing angles from the police investigation, the killers perspective, and that of the victim.. I have seen complaints on here about how graphic, at times, this book is. I think these details are necessary to give it realism. As one reviewer says there is a lot worse out there and suggests that maybe they should read Miss Marple!
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2014
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2)

I selected this book to read based on reading The Toy Taker (3rd in the series which started with “Cold Killing” which I haven’t yet read and apparently is the precursor to this tale) which I found a gripping, if sadly realistic, tale of child abduction.
This also starts with another abduction – adult female and then cuts to a DI Corrigan at trial of a murderer ( from The Killer) who is found unfit to plead but at least is sent to Broadmoor – small consolation to his female sergeant (DS Sally Jones) who was nearly killed by the psychopath
This tale then progresses to graphic ( gratuitous?) descriptions of sexual abuse and torture of the female abductee by a postman aka The Keeper who views her as a replacement for a lost partner ( love?). A killing follows by a further abduction. There are back references throughout to the first novel The Killer which sometimes is confusing.
Enough spoilers
Were the characters and situations credible – definitely ( if too graphic)
Did it grip me so it was difficult to put down - Yes
Was the story memorable enough when picking up the books again – Yes
Will I like it? That depends as to how you like your crime settings – female abduction/abuse/rape is very emotive and sadly is seen too often in modern life. Not my choice of bedtime reading even if the detective side is interesting.
Not for the faint hearted but there is good characterisation of DI Corrigan in the series of books as he battles to get inside of the mindset of serial abductors, abusers, killers. There is a corresponding view of the obsessions which drive such persons.
This is one of those books that some will rate 1 star (and hate) and others will “like” and rate 5 star. Personally I will rate it 3 star and see it as not as good as the Toy Taker
Brilliant Crime Novel

The Keeper is an excellent crime novel from the pen of Luke Delaney a former Metropolitan Police Detective in London, who has dealt with a wide range of crimes including murders and gangland assassinations. This novel feels like he has brought some of his experiences to bear especially in the descriptions of the victims and their families as well as with how officers approach and live each case. It is as if the hard learnt experience is laid out for the reader, rather than someone doing research into the police procedures then writing about them.

Detective Inspector Sean Callaghan is the lead of the Murder Investigation Team for the South London division of the Metropolitan Police, experienced dealing with the human detritus and sorting the wheat from the chaff and achieving a successful conviction and another murderer off the streets. His Superintendent gives Callaghan and his team an unusual missing persons' case to investigate. Women of a certain height and look are being taken in broad daylight but it is not till the dead bodies' start turning up that they realise they are racing against the clock.

We are introduced Thomas Keller at the beginning of the book as he is looking for someone in particular and knows South London well. He has nobody to call a friend, not at work where he is hated or at home, but he is used to that as his life has always been about being different to others and alone. He knows what he wants knows how and where to get it and has the means and location to suit, but will DI Callaghan be able to find him in time?

This crime story is a compelling read as it unfolds as we get the back story to the main characters as well as what they look and how they feel about life. Delaney is good at getting inside the head of the criminal and the chasing detective. We are not bogged down with irrelevant details but feel as if we are part of the investigation team and under the same pressure as the police. You are able to feel the desperation of the hunt and the exhilaration of discovery from both criminal and police.

This is a fantastic novel a great read and feels like you are part of an authentic Murder Investigation Team. To use the oldest cliché of the lot it really is a page turner with a chilling dash of reality. The race is on who will achieve their end game Thomas Keller or Sean Callaghan, the only way to find out is to read the book and enjoy the race to the end.
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2013
The Keeper

This is the first time I've encountered Detective Inspector Sean Corrigan, and I know it won't be the last. This book is almost 450 pages in length, and it is one of those rare books, in which every page has been carefully written to keep the reader engaged, and wanting to read the next page.

Thomas Keller is a man who has so much anger within him. He is a lonely man, one who no one really has any time for. He's conscientious with his job, but his work colleagues don't like him at all. But they don't know him. If only they did, they may a little more respect for him. Or fear.

Thomas Keller is meticulous at selecting his victims. It must be Sam. Sam is who he worships and wants, and only Sam is good enough for him. Sam is the love of his life. "They" are keeping Thomas and Sam apart.

When a woman goes missing, DI Corrigan is told to investigate. Missing persons is not what his squad are set up to do, and there is initially resentment to the work. However the team quickly settle into working all the hours possible to locate this missing person.

When a second woman goes missing, this sends DI Corrigan frantic, as he knows it's only a matter of time before a body is found.

To increase the problems that DI Corrigan and his team face, he is sent a criminal psychologist to work with them. The last thing he wants to do is to `babysit' an outsider. But she has her own agenda.

It is clear that DI Corrigan is working against the clock, knowing that with every minute, the next victim could be taken, or another body found. This frustration is amply demonstrated with his distaste for having to tolerate the criminal psychologist. This criminal psychologist - Anna - tries to get him to talk. When he finally really does ... it makes it clear to her how society views the Police, and the ever reducing frontline services to the Police - despite of course, what the upper echelons in the Police want to portray to the public. A good example of how Police are, is described on page 288: "listen it's always the police's fault. At the end of the day, no matter what, we'll get the blame. We're an easy scapegoat. Stephen Lawrence is murdered by a gang of racist thugs - it's our fault. A bunch of anarchists smash up the West End - it's our fault because we were too soft. A student gets badly injured on a protest march - it's our fault because we were too heavy handed. The News of the World hacks in the phones of publicity hungry celebrities who probably love the attention - guess what, it's our fault for not investigating it sooner"

"Have you any idea what it's like, working day after day with practically no sleep, forcing yourself to keep going and going, having to tell your wife and your children you won't be seeing them till God knows when. And then, when you finally get the job done and the baddy's locked up nice and tight, when you finally get to go home you turn the TV on and what's the first thing you see? Politicians telling the world it was the police's fault, that heads will roll. They never mention the good stuff we do, the personal risks we take for the sake of total strangers, the thousands of seriously nasty bastards we take off the streets every year. "

Murder ... and the way that the media treat it "like a reality show, titillation for the masses. If they'd ever been inside a real murder scene, on their own, before it had been cleaned up, they wouldn't sound so excited. You can tell they've never had the taste of death in their mouths. It lingers for days, no matter how many times you brush your teeth or rinse with mouthwash."

A brilliant book - yes, I've not given away too much of the plot, and definitely not the ending. You'll just have to read the book for yourself to find that out.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So we come to the second in the DI Sean Corrigan series from Luke Delaney and it was a corker.

This outing finds Sean investigating a missing persons case - not his usual type of case but the powers that be demand and so on he goes. Soon he realises that something sinister is going on, then another woman disappears and a body is found. So begins an emotional and heart stopping roller coaster ride while Sean uses his peculiar and intriguing senses to unearth the villain of the piece.

I liked this a lot. Cold Killing was excellent, but the standard has been raised with "The Keeper" to a very high level. Crime fiction is an overcrowded genre but Luke Delaney is going to fit right in - Sean Corrigan may not be unique but his quirks, his background, what drives him on are all very well imagined and the plotting is tight and realistic. The aftermath of the events of "Cold Killing" are dealt with and with a new addition to the "cast" who I hope we will see again (I really liked Anna) this was an absorbing read. One of the cleverest parts of Mr Delaney's writing comes with the hidden agenda's and the examination of each characters motivation for doing what they do - you will know as much about the criminals as you will about the police officers that hunt them and this makes for a well rounded and complete reading experience.

I am also quite fond of the fact that the author doesnt see the need to rely on dramatic license and there are no plot holes - ok its not one of those books where you will be saying "Never saw THAT coming" but neither is it predictable. In fact what makes it so good IS its unpredictability especially where Sean is concerned - you are never quite sure what he might do next and it can be edge of the seat stuff.

So all in all a brilliant read and one that I would recommend. My thanks to Kate at Harper Collins for sending me an advanced copy of this book - I'm going to have to stay on her good side because I believe there are more to come. Happy Reading folks!
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a steady paced police detective story about a Killer with an obsession and The main detective is very similar but on the other side of the law. Our number one character Sean Corrigan has a history of solving crimes that need old fashioned police work, but, the difference is he has mind feelings, (best I can describe it) about people and places, and this works well as does on the ground detective work. He has an assistant that has been thru some trauma in the recent past which might affect her work. Early on we know who the killer is and gradually we find out more about him and his obsession. When I say steady it moves ahead all the time and although you kind of know how this is going to end, it's so well written that once you are into it you will be guaranteed to finish the book. The story is set in the outskirts of London though I didn't get the feeling of a city, this makes no difference to the story line. You certainly wont like the killer, The main thing about the author is that he is a former Murder Squad detective which lends authority to the writing and this you are aware of as with some authors I've read they visited where the story line is and then write about it. This has weight. I've read a good number of this type of story and I feel this is certainly in the top section.
I found it an enjoyable book of it's genre, well written, well paced and story line that is believable when you are aware of what goes on in the news nowadays.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 September 2013
This is the second full length book featuring Sean Corrigan.

Sean Corrigan is back and on the hunt for a man who is kidnapping and murdering young women in London. The book follows the murder team trying to work out who would want to take women from their homes in broad daylight, then murder them over a week later. At the same time, we have the narrative from the kidnapper and get a real understanding for his thoughts and motivations. A few chance observations and deductions lead Corrigan to the doorstep of the killer.

What makes this such an outstanding read is the character of Corrigan and the construction of the plot. It feels like a real police investigation and some of the conversations between members of the murder investigation team are believable. Strong characterization makes this compelling to read. Just as Corrigan has great empathy for the kidnapper and his warped thinking, we also are encouraged to see the kidnapper as a fully rounded individual. The kidnapper isn't just an evil person, but a product of an abusive and neglected environment.

Reading this book will make you reluctant to answer the door to postmen.
on 11 June 2015
Whilst I found the first book in this series quite interesting (the hedonistic psychopath, plus the clever twist at the end), the second DI Corrigan book deepened the problems I had with the first one and I won't continue reading any more books from this author.

My biggest quibble is the main character himself. Unlikabke, totally self obsessed, humourless, rude, arrogant, and not to forget his ridiculous talent 'to feel what the killer must have felt' due to his past experiences. I was about to quit when, at some point, two other characters discuss Corrigans talent and one of them serouisly asked if Corrigan was psychic. I just skipped through the last chapters.

My other big problem with this book is the repated description of rape and masturbation to the point where I thought 'ok, ive read this before. Why again and again?' I do understand the necessity to describe it the first time round to show the absolute horrific nightmare these women go through, and it did make me feel sick, but by the third time it simply felt gratuitous and completely unnecessary.

Im done with this author.
on 18 November 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
D.I. Sean Corrigan has a dark past, one that allows him to connect with deranged minds capable of committing inhuman criminal acts. This is allegedly a 'new angle' for a police detective, to which I would offer a very strong rebuttal. Still, it makes a difference from all those alcoholic, or ex-alcoholic cops!

In 'The Keeper' there's a nutter randomly striking at women during broad daylight. And random attackers are the hardest to catch: think of how long it took the British police to catch Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper.

A former Metropolitan Police Detective, Luke Delaney has all the right credentials to produce great thrillers - a genuine insight into the people who commit horrific acts, a fine, pacy writing style and an unparalleled grasp of the procedure involved in a major criminal investigation.

This is fine stuff, and despite my earlier comment, this doesn't feel like a second hand detective - Corrigan is very much his own man.