5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Tale
Published 4 months ago by Brett H

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame
I couldn't wait to read this book after Luke Delaney's fantastic first book "Cold Killing" which was probably my favourite read all year,but i was to be so disappointed with this.
Published 5 months ago by Hoodoo

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 13 Jun 2014
The story started well but there was far too much tedious and repetative build up,far too many nasty rape and masturbation scenes which i found very uncomfortable to read and then suddenly the book ended in about six pages leaving me feeling i had lost a couple of chapters somewhere.
Not a book i would recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars a thoroughly unpleasant experience, 15 Jun 2014
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I appear to be reading these Luke Delaney books in reverse order as I read "The Toy Taker first and found it to be an original piece of crime fiction. Unfortunately with The Keeper I discovered a repellent book of misogynistic trash; another rehash of tortured victims ~ female of course ~ that in book form seem to reflect the ghastly new film genre of body horror..

I am not a believer in censorship but I do feel that this kind of fiction must stop!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much gratuitous sex and violence or reality?, 12 Oct 2014
Doccox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2)

I selected this book to read based on reading The Toy Taker (3rd in the series which started with “Cold Killing” which I haven’t yet read and apparently is the precursor to this tale) which I found a gripping, if sadly realistic, tale of child abduction.
This also starts with another abduction – adult female and then cuts to a DI Corrigan at trial of a murderer ( from The Killer) who is found unfit to plead but at least is sent to Broadmoor – small consolation to his female sergeant (DS Sally Jones) who was nearly killed by the psychopath
This tale then progresses to graphic ( gratuitous?) descriptions of sexual abuse and torture of the female abductee by a postman aka The Keeper who views her as a replacement for a lost partner ( love?). A killing follows by a further abduction. There are back references throughout to the first novel The Killer which sometimes is confusing.
Enough spoilers
Were the characters and situations credible – definitely ( if too graphic)
Did it grip me so it was difficult to put down - Yes
Was the story memorable enough when picking up the books again – Yes
Will I like it? That depends as to how you like your crime settings – female abduction/abuse/rape is very emotive and sadly is seen too often in modern life. Not my choice of bedtime reading even if the detective side is interesting.
Not for the faint hearted but there is good characterisation of DI Corrigan in the series of books as he battles to get inside of the mindset of serial abductors, abusers, killers. There is a corresponding view of the obsessions which drive such persons.
This is one of those books that some will rate 1 star (and hate) and others will “like” and rate 5 star. Personally I will rate it 3 star and see it as not as good as the Toy Taker

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Tale, 12 July 2014
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Keeper sees DI Sean Corrigan hard at work in his second tale. I have not read the first, Cold Killing, and I think this was a mistake since there are numerous references to the evil doer in that story, Sebastian Gibran, and the psychological and physical effect he had, particularly on DS Sally Jones. Hence although this is a very competent thriller which can work on one level as a standalone story, the reader who has not read Cold Killing is likely to feel there are large gaps in their background knowledge as I did.

Corrigan is a dedicated and obsessive detective who possesses the uncanny ability to get into the heads of serial offenders and to understand what is motivating them. In this way he is able to pinpoint characteristics of the perpetrator and to use these to track them down. This story starts with a kidnapping carried out by a damaged and compulsive character who we learn more about as the book progresses. It is interesting to appreciate the parallels between Corrigan's reading of him and the reality as the detective gradually hunts down his prey.

This is a well written book with some interesting characters, and which had me sufficiently captivated to read through it very quickly. There is clearly plenty of mileage in Corrigan as the lead character. He has already appeared in the third in the series, Toy Taker, which I have now started reading and which so far appears to be of the same high standard. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Finders keepers, 28 Aug 2013
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't read the debut novel introducing us to DI Sean Corrigan, an oddball character who seems able to get inside the mind of the killer and thus track him down.

This ability also allows the author to take random leaps in the direction the murder enquiry takes, something along the lines of, 'with one bound he was free....'

The book is filled with references to what I suppose must have happened in the previous book. This is a difficulty for me because it rather spoilt the speed of the storyline. A few chosen sentences providing detail would have been better than long and drawn out hints at the problem DS Sally Jones has. However, we are where we are.

Someone is abducting young women and carting them off to be locked in a cage in a cellar and maltreated by the killer under the guise of love for a previous unrequited love. When that love fades, the killer disposes of the body and looks for his next victim.

This would have been fine as a story but, regrettably, for me anyway, there is just too much repetetive violent sex. I got the message after the first due process but to have it repeated several times over does nothing for the story and disappoints in the pursuance of a good read.

It is a book of two halves, not in the literal sense but in the way we follow the killer and the detective. Again, for me, there is just too much from the killer's perspective, delving back into his traumatic past as an abused child - it's a bit old hat is all this child abuse subsequently leading to a murderous take on adult life. It also means that this character is completely uninteresting. I wasn't in the least bothered where the author was taking him which then leads me to Sean Corrigan, the other half of the book.

On the one hand he's a loner, on the other he likes his team to work together. As I said, he has flashes of inspiration which subsequently leads him to the killer.

This, too, makes for an odd finale. Throughout the book we are told the killer is weak and barely able to defend himself, struggling to move his female victims from place to place and then, wham bamb, he becomes an explosive fiend.

Somewhere in this there is a half-decent story. I am sure those who read book 1 will heartily disagree with my star rating but for me there were just too many fill-out pages which makes this 450 page book something of a toil.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much, 21 Jun 2014
I read the first book in the series (though quite a while ago) and I enjoyed it enough to read the second. However this book made me really uncomfortable with its (I think) overly gratuitous descriptions of the violence and rape perpetuated against the female characters - I read a lot of books - many crime novels, BUT rarely have I read such harrowing and prolonged descriptions of female suffering - and I found it totally unnecessary - I wonder what the author expects his readers to get from writing in such a way........It has put me off reading any more of his novels. I had hoped also for a better outcome for the first two female characters, given that we were told more about them and their characters were developed to an extent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Delaney..., 30 Aug 2013
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having been metaphorically blown away by Delaney's debut Cold-Killing , I was as keen as mustard to get stuck into the next in the DI Luke Corrigan series, The Keeper, which promised much and delivered even more. Building on the exceptional characterisation in the first, we are further enveloped in the world of this smarter than average police officer with his unique perception of the criminal mind...

Once again drawing on the experience gained in his former life as a police officer, Delaney has constructed a central plot that is both thrilling and chilling in equal measure. Focusing on a random nutter, imprisoning women in the vain and misguided hope of recapturing the magic of a childhood experience, Delaney captures all the nuances of a delusional mind and the inherent fear of his captives, and captures perfectly the claustrophobia and tension of their experience. There is perhaps a little too much repetition of the nefarious goings-on in the psychopath's tracksuit bottoms, but essentially the strange imaginings and brutality of this particular individual will keep you thoroughly unsettled. Needless to say, I was worried enough by the actions of said nutter to warrant me keeping a much closer eye on my own postman- our killer's day job- but what really sold this book to me was Delaney's building on the strong characterisation of the first book in both his regular and new characters.

DI Sean Corrigan is a marvellous creation, and I like the multi-faceted aspects of his character. To all intents and purposes he is a normal copper in terms of his fairly settled home life and utter professionalism in his duty to the job. However, he has a remarkable insight in to the twisted mind, gleaned from the less than harmonious events of his childhood, and his ability to enter the killer's mind and to effortlessly tap into their motivation. Although his actions arouse the suspicions of his colleagues no-one can deny his powers of perception, and Delaney in introducing the character of criminal psychologist Anna provides an interesting dimension to Corrigan's unique ability, and the resistance he puts up to others who seek to challenge or get inside his mind. Likewise, the character of DS Sally Jones is explored further after her horrific experiences in the previous book, and her tentative journey back from recovery and the effects these events have had on her are, to me, the most moving aspect of the book, effortlessly gaining the empathy of the reader. So few male writers can really characterise female characters in a believable way, but Delaney has the knack, not only in the personal trials of Jones and the fiercely independent mind of Anna, but also as regards the captive women who find themselves at the mercy of the killer. A rare feat indeed.

So all in all what we have is a great second book, building on and extending the characters of the first, but all wrapped in a gripping plot that will keep any crime fiction fan on the edge of their seat. If you haven't discovered Delaney yet, go now and seek him out- you won't regret it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by the relentless misogyny and gratuitous descriptions of violence towards women., 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2) (Paperback)
Although I think this book was fairly well written and the author definitely has a talent, I was actually disturbed by the sheer quantity of prurient descriptions of violence towards women. It was relentless and felt like it was being described in real time. Not sure what the author is trying to say by putting so much effort into such material or whom it's aimed at.

Made me wonder what people would think if all the material out there that deals with male violence towards women had the genders reversed. We would be absolutely appalled and think there was some sort of pandemic of hatred towards men.

I gave up on the book and the author. I can't imagine who would enjoy a police procedural completely dominated by blow by blow accounts of horrible torture and abuse directed at women.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK., 29 July 2014
This book was OK. I finished it but found myself skipping sections as I was rather bored by the end. I found the main character - DI Sean Corrigan - rather irritating and not very believable. I felt that the depiction of him was rather Americanised and, of course, 'he's a maverick, but he gets results'. In this case however, the way he goes about investigating the missing women in the story is just not authentic enough for me. To use a cliche - he is very one dimensional. The story itself is OK - my problem is really with its execution. I haven't yet decided if I'll read any more by this author. I might at a push if I couldn't find anything I preferred!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Mar 2014
Having found the first novel gripping and believing the characters had potential for an interesting series, I was surprised to find this book dominated by gratuitous sexual violence and superfluous sexual detail, with little development of the characters and not much tension. Big disappointment.

The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2)
The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 2) (Di Sean Corrigan 2) by Luke Delaney (Paperback - 16 Jan 2014)