5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and terrifying!
In the last half-year I've started reading more crime books and really enjoying them, and so even though I'm rather new to the genre, I was very excited about starting this!

Published 15 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written and Cliched
Disappointed to actually read this book after seeing, generally positive, other reviews on Amazon. The writing is cumbersome and the main characters are cliched James Patterson type super cops and baddies. The main hero's supposed brilliance and troubled background are overdone and pretty much unbelievable as are the main baddie's capabilities and attitudes...
Published 6 months ago by Eric JB

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and terrifying!, 19 April 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

DI Sean Corrigan is different from other detectives. Having suffered terrible trauma in his childhood, Sean's dark past has enabled him to identify darkness in others, giving him an advantage as he has an insight into the criminal mind. With Sean's ability to think like a criminal, he is soon on the trail of a killer, but will Sean be able to stop the killer before it is too late?

This was AMAZING! I didn't want put this book down, I took to carrying it everywhere with me in case I had a spare minute in between chores and outings to read a few more pages. I even sat up until 3am one night desperate to know what would happen next - though that night I did have to sleep with the light on - after reading a particularly chilling chapter there was no way I was sleeping in the dark!

Cold Killing is seriously fast paced, from the beginning it feels as though you are dropped right into the action, and the pace moved along at a pace that left me breathless, on the edge of my seat and rushing to the next part!

This is a very well-written book. Luke Delaney makes all of the characters believable, and the characters have such a strong presence about them that I almost felt as though I was in the scenes myself standing next to them. The characters have the right mix, they are mysterious, have dark sides, and put me a bit on edge, but that didn't stop me reading! In fact, my curiosity about the characters only made me more absorbed in the story.

I don't want to spoil the plot line, because I genuinely think it's best to go in not knowing much, and let your thoughts unravel as the story progresses. What I will say is that Cold Killing is fast, it is thrilling, it is terrifying and it will have you looking over your shoulder! A brilliant novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written and Cliched, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1) (Di Sean Corrigan 1) (Paperback)

The author also seems to have a very warped view of South London as a den of iniquity full of "degraded" people. Doesn't say much if this is typical of police attitudes, which, needless to say, I hope it isn't.

I did however struggle to reach the end of the book as the plot is reasonably compelling. This was undercut however by the final denouement which didn't make much sense in its "twist" ending.

I won't be reading any more books by this author and wasted money on mistakenly buying his first two. They'll be going to charity or to a reseller as soon as practicable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very well written, 24 May 2014
Some of the dialogue feels as though its from the Sweeney (70's police drama), the descriptions in many places feel contrived. The characters are hard to like, not very well crafted, stereotypical (especially his sergeant). The protagonist feels immature and insular to command the respect of others, and I'm amazed that he was able to form a relationship with someone such as his wife.
Its particularily grating to see the planting of evidence dealt with so lightly, and if its written by an ex detective this aspect is particularily worrying or just pure fantasy.
The old saying that you should write about what you know is interesting in places as far as police procedures, but seems dreadfully contrived in others. He may have been better writing about actual cases he investigated (names changed) than this fantasy he has created, involving serial killers, criminal masterminds and clumsy police corruption.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb debut..., 10 April 2013
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As an enthusiastic crime fiction reader I always relish the opportunity of reading a crime novel written by someone who has actually walked the walk and talked the talk in law enforcement , drawing on their personal experience to construct an authentic story- as long as they have the propensity to spin a good yarn as well! As an ex-London Met detective with many years service under his belt, Luke Delaney not only exhibits this complete authenticity in terms of the police procedural, but more than demonstrates his finesse as an author in this gripping and well-constructed novel. Delaney has personal experience of policing in tough inner city areas, and as a CID detective he encountered everything from fledgling serial killers to violent gang crime and gangland assasinations, and all this is brought to bear in this impressive debut thriller.

Sean Corrigan is an exemplary creation in terms of a detective with just the right balance of good cop/disturbed cop having overcome the traumas of his childhood experiences, the experience of which give him a unique perspective on the motivations and psyche of a killer. In Corrigan we observe a man who could easily teeter over the precipice emotionally due to the horrendous events in his own life, but who fights every day to use these experiences to become a perceptive and astute detective, with an inate ability to tap into the mind of the killer at large in this investigation. He is a terrier of a man, unrelenting in his pursuance of the man he believes is guilty of these brutal killings, and like all good detectives more than willing to challenge the dictates of his largely inept paper-pushing superiors to catch a killer. I found him an entirely empathetic character and wholly believable in his characterisation, which is absolutely essential if this is to be the first of a projected series. Likewise, his nemesis in the shape of slimy financier James Hellier, the object of Corrigan's investigation, is a perfectly realised character combining charm with an undercurrent of wolfishness in his interactions with Corrigan, but has Corrigan got the right man in his sights?

The plot is perfectly paced as the police team grapple with a forensically aware, and ultimately psychopathic killer, capturing the tenseness and frustrations of a multiple murder investigation. This is where Delaney's experience as a police officer kicks in, with a true depiction of the nitty gritty procedures that the police are bound by, and a continual feeling of them racing against the clock. There are a couple of nicely placed barbs directed towards crime fiction writers and film-makers at the liberties they take in their own depiction of police work, which again added to the sense of realism in Delaney's own presentation of a police investigation. There is a nice balance in the plot between Corrigan's professional and personal life, and I thought this added an extra dimension to our perception of Corrigan as a husband, father and cop, with an effective drawing back from the violence of the main plot.

I have no qualms at all in comparing this with some of the best exponents of the psychological police procedual- I'm thinking Mark Billingham, Stuart MacBride, Adam Creed et al- so would definitely rate Delaney as an author to discover for yourselves. You will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good debut novel, 5 April 2013
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This debut novel introduces us to DI Sean Corrigan, a police officer unlike any other. He can look at a crime scene and get into the killers head, viewing what he did and even at some points thinking how he thinks. The murder is brutal and Sean is sure he knows how the killer is, confirmed when they question him and Sean identifies the darkness under the smooth surface. A game of cat and mouse begins and another body turns up, the killer is goading and mocking the police and Sean needs to be 2 steps ahead if he is going to catch him.

I couldn't put this book down to start with, we begin the first chapter with the killer talking us through how he views the world in front of him. No one is safe, not even his family and he takes us through his latest murderous activity. The next chapter introduces us to DI Sean Corrigan and his response to the murder scene and the story kicks off from there. The chapters flick from our detective to our killer and flips between the two. The chapter lengths going from being a few pages long to fairly lengthy, not a big deal but for me worthy of note.

I must say I loved how Sean got into the crime scene, it reminded me of enter the dragon with Edward Norton although with an actual explanation for how he does it and I do love all areas covered. There are quite a few twists and turns throughout the book, which until the end, confused me as I wasn't sure who was the killer and had a few of my own suspects. I must admit this frustrated me however I know this is a good thing for a lot of readers, I am just impatient and like to know everything which is why I struggled to put this book down. It keeps you engaged throughout and it took me a while to catch on although I did before the big finale. Overall a really good read with just a few snags that brought it down a wee bit for me but this will be a bit hit with most readers. I will definitely keep an eye out for this author again and thank you so much to HarperCollins for giving me a copy and introducing me to a new author, 3/5 for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling !, 13 Sep 2013
I read a lot of this type of book but just as i start to become a little tired of the genre a book like "coldkilling" comes along.
This is a brilliant clever book and i can't believe it was written by such a new author.
I also love the fact it is set in London as i'm so used to the books i read being set in the US,i loved all the British references.
I would highly recommend this unputdownable, twistyturny thrill ride of a story which keeps the surprises coming right to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 18 Aug 2013
Booklover (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This brilliant debut novel has just devoured my entire weekend. I totally resented the time I spent doing anything else and am now sleep deprived as I read into the not so early hours of the morning.

This is so well written and utterly compulsive. Not only that but it twists and turns throughout and I defy anyone to accurately predict the end. Delaney is now on my list of must read authors. I shall endeavour not to download the next book until next weekend as it will completely mess up my week if I start it!

I can't recommend Luke Delaney's work too highly for anyone who enjoys a top notch thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinky, 15 Aug 2013
Dark .GOOD.SCARY.DIFFERENT.WANT MOORE.LOVED THIS BOOK.WE ALL HAVE THIS DARK SIDE.DON'T WE.

Be careful who you upset you never know who is watching

5.0 out of 5 stars realistic, 3 Jun 2013
Having been written by someone who knows the vagaries of policing it was very exciting and accurate. I would definitely recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Whew!!, 13 May 2013
Mrs. A. F. Bryan "Ann." (Runcorn. Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I'd give this book 6 stars if I could. I couldn't put it down! This is crime writing taken to the next level. It has already had great reviews so there's not much more I can add to the mix. All I can say is....roll on Luke Delaney's next book!

Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1) (Di Sean Corrigan 1)
Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1) (Di Sean Corrigan 1) by Luke Delaney (Paperback - 15 Aug 2013)
3.50