Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2012
"Singularity" (Star Carrier Book Three) is one of the better examples of military space opera science fiction I have read lately. As entertainment and as writing, it surpasses David Weber's latest "Honor Harrington" novels with regards to literary quality; he also has in Rear Admiral Alexander Koenig, a vividly realized character as memorable as Honor Harrington. I also have to commend William H. Keith (writing here as Ian Douglas) for having a firm grasp of astrophysics in his realistic depiction of wormhole travel. "Singularity" is definitely a memorable addition to military space opera science fiction; one which should appeal not only to David Weber fans, but also those familiar with Jerry Pournelle's "Co-Dominion" series.
on 26 November 2012
Having re-acquired a taste for space opera/military SF/whatever via the thoroughly enjoyable "Lost Fleet" series, I thought I'd try this. I'm glad I did. I have read all three books, so this is a verdict on all three as a series. Throughout all, Mr. Douglas shows much sound technological background extended by admirable imagination in the creation of his far-distant future world, where a spacefaring humanity has run up against a much more advanced alien confederation, which seems determined, for reasons unknown, to deny humanity further technological advancement, with the threat of extinction if it doesn't comply. The story is mainly told through two characters, an Admiral commanding a space battle group and one of his fighter pilots, the latter from a despised minority. Both show considerable ability to think "outside the box", and constantly to wrong-foot the technologically superior opposition.

The one fly in the ointment is the end, which comes in a rush at the end of this book and which seems somewhat too trite and pat. It almost seems as if Mr. Douglas's prodigious imagination has finally let him down. Now one can take refuge in alien mindsets, which perceive things very differently from ours, but to me it doesn't quite come off.

However, I still wouldn't let this put off potential readers - overall, the three books make a satisfying whole and a fine journey of the imagination. Since we regretfully will never travel to the stars like this, this is the best we can do.
on 27 April 2013
The Star Carrier series carries the reader along. Although the battles get repetitious, and the author goes over the same stuff about weapon type or time-dilation as a function of c, the story still speeds along. It would be an undiscerning reader who does not see by the second book of this series that as far as tactics are concerned, the aliens are a bit dim. Whilst the heroic Humans a bright enough to spot glaring holes in alien strategies. Smacks of vulnerable heat vents and Death Stars.

But put that aside. Iain Douglas writes a ripping yarn. So what if only the main characters seem to exist whist everyone else is a red shirt. It doesn't matter because you root for the human fleet. Best of all there is an army of lickspittle bureaucrats back on Earth seeking to appease the nasty Galactic Empire and clap Admiral Koenig in chains. But he has a loyal crew, does our Admiral, and they will take the fight to the enemy, arr and get the booty, arr Jim me lad. So it is a very salty space opera but it is fun.
on 29 January 2013
A fan of pure science fiction, I like this series. This is book three in the saga of an unseen power which has many other races seemingly in it's power and will not allow human beings to develop science and technology any further because this may lead to transcendence. This last book takes you to the heart of their universe and reveals previously hidden secrets.
I like the science bits and there are lots of new ideas in this series. The author explains the science in detail and also describes the battle tactics in detail. I like it when the science is explained and is somehow believeable.
I gave it four stars only because the characters do not quite become as real to me as I would like. Because I read before going to sleep every night, the following night I find I have lost the plot and can't remember all the characters and what is going on. But that is just me!
This is s good climax to a great series, the ending which I won't tell you about is believeable and not contrived. I got into this after following a few threads from reviews on the Jack Campbell series The Lost Fleet and this is as good, a really enjoyable trilogy well written, absorbing and a good read.

Recommended to all you Sci-Fi space opera fans out there.
on 10 February 2013
This book is a supriser, i just bought the first one to get me through the day at the gym and when im bored, but i ended up reading it pretty quick, and bought the rest of them, and they are great the only thing i can say is a fault is that the author repeats information a couple times through-out the books but other that that its great!!
on 22 July 2013
This is an enjoyable read that concentrates on action from a space fighter pilot's perspective. The book is a good read but the repetitive explanations of the same technology in several places in the book can be jarring. The read is not totally immersive and some of the attempts to make social comment in the book fall a bit flat.
on 7 January 2013
3rd book in the series, worth the read but the space battle scenes are rather 'samey' and the ending is a little disappointing, it kinds fizzles out...

If you do read this the books should be read in sequence.
on 29 April 2013
Brought the series as I love Science fiction stories. there is one disappointing aspect to Ian Douglas style and that is repeating the same explaination too many times for the equipment in the stories.
on 9 December 2012
Really enjoyed this series of books - more so than I expected. There's a level of detail and believability that appeals to me. Great. A depth to the main characters, too, which is always a bonus.