5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant tale of love and loss with lots of laughs
Published 21 months ago by Bookie

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great - poor writing
I bought this book as an insight into someone else's experience with Dementia having gone through this with my mother. I thought it would be lighthearted which it was in part. I could not get into the flow of the book as I got quite frustrated with the five or six word sentences - sometimes even shorter. The story was jumping all over the place..

Would not...
Published 20 months ago by Lorna Macey

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant tale of love and loss with lots of laughs, 1 Mar 2013
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'd love to be part of Phyllida Law's family! To have her in the family circle could only make life and the world a better place. She writes of events in an endearingly disparate and eccentric way. In so doing, these jottings capture completely the minutiae of day to day life. The reader is able to feel the warmth and love despite her assertion that she's not a huggy person. She is a warm, giving and truly loving individual though and that's what counts.

It's a privilege to have shared some of the close and deeply personal experiences described with humour and sensitivity. Ma comes across as a strong willed, articulate and entertaining individual who, although increasingly diminished by her illness, retains an inner strength and insight. We share a journey where we know the end and when it arrives, it's one of the most moving passages I've ever read.

I loved the sketches, which even on a Kindle are clear and entertaining. I loved the immediacy and vigour of the text. And I really enjoyed the 'acting' snippets. These provided, in context, a welcome balance to the tale. Thank you Phyllida Law, for sharing a very personal and profoundly moving journey with a wider audience. Some parts will stay with me forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life tragi-comedy, 2 Mar 2013
So well written. I laughed out loud as well as having a tear in my eye. An absolute must and a book that can be re-read how ever many times you like. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Many Camels are there in Holland?, 23 May 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I found this a funny, heart -warming and poignant read. Phyllida Law returned home to look after her mother when her mental capacity started to deteriorate and this book is the story of the changes both she and her mother had to go through while her mother's Alzheimer's disease progressed.

It is never easy for anyone to try and put their life on hold to look after someone else but sometimes, as the author shows, it can have its amusing moments as well as its more frightening aspects. Having to get up in the night several times because her mother thought it was breakfast time proved to be the least of the author's worries. Trying to have conversations with someone who cannot grasp the simplest piece of information becomes an everyday nightmare of misunderstandings and repetitions.

Through it all the author found herself mislaying her car keys among other important objects and she was forced to wonder about her own brain and whether she was heading in the same direction as her mother. Trying to organise her own working life at the same time as ensuring her mother had the care she needed in her own absences was also a minefield as her mother frequently did not understand why she was going away.

I liked the staccato style of the writing in this book and loved the black and white drawings which display well in my e-book edition. I think this a book I shall return to time after time for its humour and its down to earth picture of looking after a relative with dementia.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great - poor writing, 26 April 2013
This review is from: How Many Camels Are There in Holland?: Dementia, Ma and Me (Hardcover)

Would not recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars The behaviours of an adult with dementia, 2 Aug 2013
I found the first part of the book boring but the details of comments made and actions taken by a person with dementia was more interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars not as good as i thought it would be, 25 July 2013
it just didnt live up to my expectations, it did not tell me as much about the mum as i expected.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 14 Jun 2013
Not quite what I expected but OK. I passed it on to a friend who loved it so maybe it's just me

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much about herself and her daughter, 2 Jun 2013
Loved the reality about dementia, nursing my own mother at present, but it's all about her, wouldn't blow my own trumpet so much.
Maybe that's what showbiz people do!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 20 May 2013
susie (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
An enjoyable but slightly frustrating read. In parts of the book I wanted to know lots more and felt that the author had only just scratched the surface of a particular episode. Also, it flitted around so much that I occasionally wondered who it was in the family with dementia!
However, having said that it is obviously written with love and was both amusing and sad. I wish I could give it three and a half stars.
I found that The Little Girl in the Radiator is a much funnier and more poignant book about the ups and downs of caring for a relative with Alzheimer's Disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and touching, 16 May 2013
A hilarious, laugh out loud book showing enormous affection for and patience with the sufferer.
I am a carer and know the pressures there are to be coped with.

How Many Camels Are There in Holland?: Dementia, Ma and Me
How Many Camels Are There in Holland?: Dementia, Ma and Me by Phyllida Law (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2013)