on 6 August 2013
Carnage...check. Blood and gore...check. Fabulous storyline...check. Witty dialogue...check.
Stark returns in the fifth Sandman Slim book and he's once again on the warpath the save the world. Even though every book is about saving the world it's amazing how the author is able to come up with so many new and unimaginable ways that makes this series so gripping. Stark is in a race to find the Qomrama Om Ya before the Angra use it to obliterate the universe. To do so, Stark and his friends have to enter Kill City, a condemned mall in Santa Monica that houses many dead and undead creatures with unbelievable hazards in search of a crazy ghost that's been guarding the Qomrama Om Ya. Stark once again gets captured and tortured and those scenes are not for anyone with a weak stomach. Stark isn't Stark if he can't escape and he once again squares off to that crazy angel Aelita. He gets to meat another God in the process and its in that part of the book where you go, "oh yeah, that's so obvious", but you get so absorbed with the storyline that there's no time to spend time thinking whodunit or whoisit. I especially like the scene where Samael (the original Lucifer), Stark (the previous Lucifer) and Mr Munnin (a God splinter and the current Lucifer) sit down for drinks. It's so ludicrous but it just fits perfectly in the series.
This is a cracking read, fast paced and a great improvement on the previous two books. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.
on 14 September 2014
Might just be me but this felt a little like contractual filler. Maybe after five books about Sandman Slim the well is beginning to run a touch dry or just becoming too familiar. After all he's been to Hell and back (several times) in the series. How do you top that? Still worth reading though.
on 3 November 2013
I came to this series late but have them al, have read them all and am looking forward to the next installment. Richard Kadrey has an easy writing style that brings you into the world of Sandman Slim effortlessly, and really you are waiting for him to hit people, shoot things and generally cause mayhem. Brilliant stuff.

The Devil's gladiatorial plaything, then an escapee, he is a killer that you root for from book one.

I won't give anything away about the book, just buy it you will not be disappointed ...
on 17 September 2013
this story keeps evolving and the characters are becoming fully and more developed.
munnin, samael and Carlos are a delight when they sporadically appear. the narrative is taut and paced well - kill city was a great little area and the ending was class
so much scope here for interest and ideas, mr kadrey is mining in a fine place for his stories
may the wait for the next sandman slim be short . )
on 31 October 2013
Sandman Slim rides again, on a hog that's not road legal outside of hell. The dialogue is sharp with a rumbling wit that throws out one liners like old faithfully on steroids.

Read the books on order, they are well worth the time.
on 4 September 2014
I loved this one. I was getting a bit worried about repetition but this takes the Angr Om Ya story on and has some wonderful scenes. My favourites are the steps in Kill City though the Sub Rosa torturer comes a close second.
on 5 February 2014
Another fantasy thriller from Kadrey, the scene is set perfectly and characters feel like you know them in person. Here's to Sandman Slim never running out of monsters to kill!
on 7 August 2013
A great opening chapter has Stark, Candy and Samael in Donut Universe while Candy updates Stark and Samael's Wikipedia pages. Stark and his angel half have reunited, he is back to being a nephilim and again has the Key to the Room of Thirteen Doors.

Stark is in a race to find the Qomrama Om Ya, a weapon greater than any other, before the old gods, namely the Angra Om Ya who existed before anything else, can take back and destroy the universe. Aleita has hidden it somewhere and Stark needs to find it before she can do her worst. Which requires a trip to Kill City, a creepy, abandoned shopping mall.

The world building is described in intricate detail and the dialogue and banter between the characters is superb. The violent action is way over the top and there's a serious eww factor as Stark acquires more scars. Some surprise plot developments too.

I love the growth of Stark's character and how he gets a little introspective in this story.

'Most nights I still dream about Hell. I can feel it inside me. It's in the stink of my sweat. Flashing on the place even for a second makes me furious and sometimes afraid and sometimes ashamed of both those things.
On the plus side, I got up close and personal with the killer inside me. I learned I was good at taking lives. Doc Kinski called me a natural-born killer, so now it's what I do. But I don't always like it, and when I do, I don't always like myself for liking it. That's what Hell is. It's the shithole bottom of the universe, but it's a place where you'll learn more about yourself than you ever wanted to know.'

This is gritty urban fantasy at it's darkest. Richard Kadrey's off the wall sense of humour and amazingly imaginative writing, not to mention the unique take on Heaven and Hell and their residents, make this series one of my favourites. The cast of characters, some new and others returning from previous books, is as bizarre and outlandish as ever.

on 8 September 2013
Richard Kadrey dose it again. Sandman Slim kicks butt and gets kick, stabed and shot. Trying to do the right thing. Absolutely fantastic.
on 23 February 2015
Outstanding pulp grindhouse nihilistic greatness. Buy it