4.0 out of 5 stars Repeats, repeats, repeats
I have now read all four books in the Star Carrier series, this one being the 4th. Great read, good characterisation and written with good pace.

Only 4 stars though. Why? Well, I suspect that if you take out all the repeat narrative that the four books would condense to three. Ian Douglas seems to think that his readers have a memory retention span of of just...
Published 14 months ago by Abedo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, excessive descriptive repetitions
I like this series of books, the previous books had quite a lot of historic detail. This book has the same historic detail but each event seems to be described more than once. The overall story and plot is good.
Published 12 months ago by ukfairlane

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a short story, 18 Sep 2013
This is a short story, padded out with background material and a dreadful amount of repetition. By the time I had read through the padding I had lost my immersion.

Though set in the far future, it's loaded with today's stereotypes, anti just about everyone outside the USA, and topped off with a dash of US patriotism for good measure. It really should have had a warning on the cover. `Unsuitable for non USA readers'

I did enjoy this authors work and I do love a good bit of Pulp Sci-Fi, but I feel Ian Douglas has scammed me with this novel.

I'll be passing on his output in future.

1.0 out of 5 stars too long poor ending, 17 Sep 2013
Having read the other three books in this series I was kind of committed to read this one so I would know what happened.
It doesn't end well, by that I don't mean out isn't a happy ending, it kind of is. what I mean is that it just stops, pretty much in the middle of a battle. I don't know if the author ran out of time, paper or what.
If you have read the others don't bother with this one, at least 40% of it repeats endlessly the plot lines and science . OK,author, I get it aliens are different.
I have never suggested someone not read a book, but here I will make an exception.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but more of the same, 28 Aug 2013
I think I hope that there won't be any more.
The series was OK, if a bit repetitive. I liked some of the ideas, especially the attempt to describe alien culture and way of thinking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first 3 in the series, 23 July 2013
C. Gale - See all my reviews
An enjoyable read but re-used the plot and the characterisations. Not as complex or interesting as the first three in the series

3.0 out of 5 stars More Space Battles, 22 July 2013
Mr. A. Phipps (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is an enjoyable read that concentrates on action from a space fighter pilot's perspective. The book is a good read but the repetitive explanations of the same technology in several places in the book can be jarring. The read is not totally immersive and some of the attempts to make social comment in the book fall abut flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars another good read, 16 Jun 2013
looking forward to the next one. Still loving the way technology is explored in these books and what might be possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping space opera at it's best., 3 Jun 2013
Ian Douglas did it again. Kept me reading long into the night. I couldn't put the book down and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Bring on the next one :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The story unfolds further ..., 22 May 2013
Well, by now, you're a bit of an Ian Douglas enthusiast, and it's fair to say he's continued the work magnificently. All the old friends are there and we see whiffs and hints of more interest in the characters. It's a fine read, I'm glad to recommend it and I'll certainly be keeping an eye open for anything new from Ian. This story is great either under a dull lamp in a bitter winter at 1am, or in the blazing sunshine next to a beach. (Yes, out of scientific investigation both were tried). It's a good read whatever your circumstances. I truly recommend this and all of Mr Douglas' work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Continued, and to be continued, 20 May 2013
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
How long will Mr. Douglas keep this series going? Until humanity reaches the God-like singularity state? Clearly there's more to come.

This continues the tale of the previous three "Star Carrier" books, with both of the main characters of the previous books elevated to higher positions, and now again with a threat from the races defeated (not terribly convincingly) in the third book. Again, good ol' humanity manages to come up with ideas that beat the technologically much superior aliens, even as the uneasy Confederation governing Earth (or most of it) falls apart.

One thing Mr. Douglas does do well is come up with interesting aliens, with very different physiologies and ways of thinking and envisaging things. This time, the confrontation between earthlings and aliens is more convincingly handled.

In general, hardly great literature, but a fun read, and I look forward to further instalments.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of What you Fancy?, 18 May 2013
If you like this kind of genre, it is more of the same, and continues the theme. I liked it.

Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4)
Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4) by Ian Douglas (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
6.18