5.0 out of 5 stars Improve you decision making

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial help for the hapless
Published 17 months ago by Grant Hutchison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial help for the hapless, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Eyes Wide Open: How to Make Smart Decisions in a Confusing World (Paperback)
If you're the sort of person who accepts advice from random strangers on the Internet; if you hadn't realized that checking Facebook every twenty minutes disrupts your work pattern; if you are shocked to learn that politicians and advertisers choose emotive words to influence your decisions; if you've never suspected that extremely confident people know less than people who are cautious in their claims; if you blindly accept the word of anyone who is labelled an "expert" - then this book is for you.
But if that list seems like a set of pretty self-evident errors, then this book is not going to transform your life or decision-making.
And Hertz doesn't seem to be very good at practising what she preaches - we're told time and again that "studies show" something or other about cognition or decision-making, but we're never offered a critical appraisal of the studies in question, explaining why we should believe what they say. And we're offered a silly "mindfulness exercise" (examining a raisin) which Hertz claims can help make us more observant - but with no evidence to support that surprising claim.
I give this three stars because there's a wealth of amusing anecdote, a reference list for people who actually want to do the reading and decide for themselves whether they believe what Hertz has to say, and a short chapter on maths which flags some important information about data interpretation. Otherwise, two stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 13 Oct. 2013
After reading reviews in the press I was intrigued by this book.
How very disappointing. Others have done this theme before and much better.
No flow at all, poorly written. although it is referenced it seems to be a series of anecdotes.
Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve you decision making, 26 Aug. 2014
Apparently we make in the region of 10000 decisions a day. I'd like to say that mine are always spot on, but I know that is far from accurate. This book provides simple, yet well grounded ideas to help us challenge our decision making processes, whether in the business environment or within our social lives. I loved this book and would recommend it to everyone, from those just starting out their careers and adult life, to CEO's of big corporations and anyone in between. Professor Hertz' research is relevant for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help to remember, 26 Oct. 2013
Some information was knew to me and written in an easy manner As I read on I was reminded of things I had already discovered but it's always good to revisit and take on board and review Especially in respect to this ever changing world So I am glad I purchased this book and it will be useful to dip into every now and then

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide on how to make better decisions, 18 July 2014
A thought provoking review of the difficulties of making decisions in an ever more complex world as well as tools and techniques to improve our thinking and decision making. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed reading this but did skim read some parts as ..., 7 Nov. 2014
enjoyed reading this but did skim read some parts as a bit repetitive in places. some interesting ideas and thoughts. recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to improve our thinking, 22 Aug. 2014
A book that certainly makes you think which is a good thing in today's digital world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyes Wide Open., 5 Feb. 2014
I ourchased this book for a very good friend for his birthday and he has given it 5stars ++ one of the best informative books that he has ever read. He is a realist and this book is just the one for him!!

Janet

5.0 out of 5 stars FLAWLESS! DELIGHTED WITH MY PURCHASE - GR8 VALUE - PROMPT DELIVERY - 5 STAR!!, 25 Aug. 2014
FLAWLESS! DELIGHTED WITH MY PURCHASE - GR8 VALUE - PROMPT DELIVERY - 5 STAR!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It opened my eyes.!!!!, 23 Aug. 2014
Good advice backed up by lots of research. An easy enjoyable read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Eyes Wide Open: How to Make Smart Decisions in a Confusing World
Eyes Wide Open: How to Make Smart Decisions in a Confusing World by Noreena Hertz (Paperback - 12 Sept. 2013)