5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening
I started this just before bed, intending to read a couple of chapters, see what it was all about, and then go to sleep. Before I knew it I had tears streaming down my face, I was at the end of the book and it was very early hours in the morning.
Published 15 months ago by Nicola

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written
Good story, I did enjoy it although it could have been a little more grown up. I felt really sorry for Gaby but it had a good ending! 😊
Published 2 months ago by Kindle Custome

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
I didn't expect much when I picked it up. I certainly knew that I wasn't the targeted audience. The main character, Gabriella, is twelve and the target audience seems to be between there and 15 at a guess. At 20, i'm a bit out of that range. But wow, this novel deals with such a heavy issue that I think anyone could and should read it.
With regards to the writing itself, it is a very easy book to read. The narrative flows and the pages almost turn themselves.
But the story. My god, the story. I knew it was never going to be easy, reading a novel about homelessness, but I never quite realised how hard it was going to be either.
Gabriella's emotions and suffering pierced though the pages with brutal force. I spent a lot of time having to put the book down for a few moments when the pages got too blurry to read through tears.
I felt shocked, upset and frustrated reading this, at some points I had to stop myself from throwing the book at a wall in a rage for justice.
It's incredibly eye opening, I challenge anyone to read this and not want to do something to help those who are homeless and in need, failed by the system that's supposed to keep them safe.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It's books like this that turn a persons mind around and spurs them into action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !!, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
'Invisible Girl' was so good !
I'm 15 and I think that it's an amazing book !
I definitely recommend it to anyone.
It's also really good for raising awareness about homeless children so 5*'s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible girl, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
The book is amazing it draws your attention and you just can't put it down.Its emotional but great story so sad but so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Kindle Edition)
This book was really good read It was a heart warming story that brought tears to my eyes. When I started reading it I just couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this book. Great read

4.0 out of 5 stars Will shock readers with the realities of street living without going overboard, 17 Feb. 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Kindle Edition)
A moving account of a girl's experiences living on the streets, how her family life led to it and where it takes her.

This could have been a lot darker, but I think for the target market, the dark sections are quite chilling enough. Gabriella and her dad are living together well enough after her mum (and beloved elder brother) leaves, but Amy, her dad's big-spending, controlling girlfriend soon drives in a wedge and Gabriella is suddenly in the scary position of being alone.

Much of the story takes place on the streets, as Gabby must make decisions about how she will survive, if she will search for her mum and brother.

This same topic for adults would have been a lot darker, I think. There are several 'fortunate accidents' that take Gabriella's story in better directions, but this makes it more palatable and appropriate for readers aged 9-14.

I thought the scene in which Gabriella is, to all intents and purposes, left to her own devices was well conveyed - confusing, frightening and understandable. How her situation leads to her living on the streets, you see from one step to the next.

This aspect though, is glazed over. If you are concerned about typical issues connected to homelessness (drugs, prostitution, violence, exposure to the elements), there is no mention (bar some minor inferences of a dealer). While this makes it less realistic, it makes it suitable for younger readers.

And it does make the point that living on the streets is not glamorous or exciting. The lack of adult content means it would be q food text for KS2/KS3 lessons.

Gabriella is the only well-developed character, her dad and Amy are fairly flat and incredibly unlikeable, her mum more so. The other girls she meets on the streets didn't really make an impression on me, they served only to give Gabriella a 'family' on the streets and highlight the issues of homelessness.

Gabriella did make her mark on me, I did feel for her and how she gets herself into trouble, and I did want her to be resolved happily.

The ending was a little too neat and sudden, I wanted to see more consequences be revealed for certain people and their actions, but again, thinking of the typical reader, they will be satisfied.

I listened to the audio version of the book, and found the narrator easy to listen to and a good choice of voice for Gabriella.

It's a topic that isn't covered often, but one necessary for the age group and a good basis for group discussions and for talks with parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible Girl, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Kindle Edition)
Invisible Girl is a brilliant story, all about negligence of a young girl (Gabriella). Her dad doesn't seem to care about her anymore and her stepmother already hates her way to much so when Gabriella's dad and Alice decide to fly off to an exotic beach somewhere to get married, who is responsible for Gabriella? All she knows is that she has to find her mum, who lives in Manchester, and discover where her brother Beckett is. Will Gabriella's ending be a happy one? I recommend this book to people all ages as it is a beautiful story, and can't think of someone who wouldn't enjoy it. This book is a lovely one, so enjoyable I cannot explain how much. So read it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Kindle Edition)
I love Kate Maryon's stories and this one doesn't disappoint! I would definitely recommend this book to everyone! It is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
Gabriella's story must be replayed every single day by children of all ages, running away from home.

Kate makes you realise just how many unhappy runaway children there are out there, something which most of us were not that aware of beforehand, which is a huge wake up call!

Kates honest and heartfelt voice of Gaby, takes you on a journey, which leads her through many twists and turns, both physically and emotionally,very heart wrenching at times.

It is a book everyone should read, in order to raise awareness of these huge numbers of unhappy young souls who feel this is the only option they have, to free themselves,from the troubles they face at home.

Once again, it is a piece of writing which is real, honest and very touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book (Year 7 plus teens), 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 12 year old daughter whom is still reading this book but can't put it down. My daughter doesn't often become this engaged in any books... the story has captivated her... I'm impressed to see her reading so much!

I have read the book and really enjoyed it, I will be looking for other books by Kate Maryon for my daughter (and for me to read:-)).

The book is about a 12 year old girl and trying not to spoil the story is thought provoking for any teenager in regards to homelessness and living on the streets and how that can lead to crime and the impact that has on the individual, family, friends and acquaintances.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Invisible Girl (Paperback)
This book is the best book I have ever read! Gabriella midwinter is left with a bag and a note, nothing else. The book helped me understand how it is for a teenager to be homeless. Gabriella stays on the streets with naughty girl Henny and her gang, stealing but secretly she prays to find her long lost brother Beckett more than anything else. The story has a wonderful ending not what I thought and I would recommend it to over 11s.

Invisible Girl
Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2013)