4.0 out of 5 stars A Song of Ice and Fire
Not a bad read and it flows well, but there is a lot of life left in this saga yet and this book won't provide any closure, you'll end up waiting on the next one.
Is it just me or is he trying to shock for the sake of shock sometimes, and not for the betterment of the storyline.
Published on 22 April 2012 by A. Bennett

Published 3 months ago by BuddWizard

4.0 out of 5 stars A Song of Ice and Fire, 22 April 2012
A. Bennett "benceltic" (Belfast, Ireland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars It's cold. And it's getting colder..., 8 May 2012
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (Paperback)
Here we go again...

Yhis is the second half of the fifth book in the series of fantasy novels 'A Song of Ice and Fire.' Currently being dramatised on tv as 'Game of Thrones' although they're only in the middle of book two at the time of writing.

This is not a good jumping on point, and new readers should start with A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones (Reissue).

The fifth book was, just like the third book, split into two volumes for paperback publication. Thus this particular volume contains the second half of what was in the original hardcover edition. If you've already read that, then don't get this, because you're not getting anything new.

As to this book itself....

Has the same format as before. Maps of the setting at the front. Appendix at the back listing all the very long cast of characters. Chapters in the middle. Each with a different viewpoint character. Of which there are many to choose from.

And there's also an epilogue.

Book five takes place chronologically at the same time as book four. Thus for most of book five the viewpoint characters who appeared in book four don't feature. But you do get to a point in this particular volume the viewpoint characters from book four do start to creep back in.

Some storylines do make interesting progress. Although there's hardly anything in the way of action. There's a fair bit going on in the north. And some interesting developments. But things haven't quite come to a head yet.

And there's a lot going in the east where Daenerys, and several other characters are. And certain events do happen there. But they just move the story along rather than bring it to a conclusion.

Whilst this remains very readable and does have you desperate to know what will happen next, the events in the north and west do tend to be a bit more interesting than those in the east. But there's more of the latter than the former. And all the newer characters who have appeared from the beginning of book four and five onwards don't tend to grab you quite as much as the ones who have been around longer, so you can find yourself wishing the story would get back to them.

However one plotline does get very interesting, and the epilogue only heightens your interest to see where it will go. One cliffhanger from book four is resolved. But that leads to yet another cliffhanger for a character who only makes a frustratingly brief appearance in this one.

The strength of this series has always been that it's war in a fantasy kingdom done the way real wars go. They don't end with daring assaults on the dark lord's fortress, but with the fighting coming to a natural end, then treaties and negotiations. It doesn't quite feel like it's being stretched out for the sake of it though. But that may be a matter of opinion.

At the end is a chapter from the forthcoming sixth book in the series. The release date of which remains to be announced. And you might not want to hold your breath waiting for that.

This is a splendid read. Let's just hope it can all be brought to a satisfying conclusion sooner rather than later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, infuriating..., 24 May 2012
In a series of such epic length and scope you have to accept a few weaker moments now and then. For my money I could have done without all the Kingsmoot stuff in Book 4.

I'm a late starter - I only started reading these books after I caught the TV adaptation on Sky. As a result I've only just caught up with this, the most recent of the ASOI&F books. And it's brilliant. It's one of the best in the series.

Unfortunately it's also infuriating, because now we've got at least a year, maybe more, to find out what happens to all these characters. And because the books are so well-crafted we care about these people. While at the same time knowing that in ASOI&F anyone can die at any time. George never shoes away from killing off a good character. Or at least cutting their hand off.

Having read this one, my anticipation for the concluding books of this series could barely be higher. Winter is coming? It can't come soon enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars GRRM Manages to dismantle all that we loved about the series : Destruction of readable characters to the unmoving storyline, 12 Oct. 2014
Nothing of interest happens in this book. Read the entire series and all Martin has done in this one is utterly destroy his characters. They don't even slightly resemble who they were in the first 3 books. Danny is no longer a conqueror queen, she's a useless tool who does nothing but think the entire book (no more conquering) she even locked her dragons up so they're not in the story at all. Tyrion is randomly a sellsword in the east and only thinks about his father and 'where whores go'. Jon Snow had the potential for several great storylines but hes dead (seemingly) because of a totally unrealistic situation where his men turn on him (wtf). Stannis does literally nothing the entire book. nothing. I wouldn't mind if he died or something...but he just sits there doing nothing but freeze to death. All the best character stories felt like they were building up to something great since part1...but NONE of them come to fruition. NONE. How can not even a single plot finish in ~1800 pages (not counting the end of Quentin Martells mission, which was another massive waste of readers time, added and amounted to nothing in the story). I Waited 6 years for this piece of s***. I loved the other books, things happened (albeit slowly). Nothing happens here but the utter destruction of the characters attitudes and ethos, which was what made me love the series. Its really tragic to see how far GRRM has gone off track and seemingly lost interest in his own series. Every person whos read it I know agrees how tragic the series has become. It actually has rather upset me. Its even more upsetting to know the next book when something might actually happen wont be out for another 3+ years if we're lucky (been 4 years already). Absolute joke.

PS
However if you like endless lists of pointless crap that adds little to the story but takes up paragraphs and paragraphs of characters chapters then you'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift That Keeps On Giving... :D, 17 April 2012
I came to the series late (when first brought out in the 90's I was a little too young for them) but still before the TV series. I didn't have high hopes for the first one - 'A Game of Thrones' - and bought it using my Waterstones points. However, I completely went back on my assessment of it within a few chapters - it had caught my attention and I couldn't put it down! Five books in, and I'm still loving every second of it! :D Martin is ruthless with his characters, sacrificing where needed, and not wimping out like most authors will do when it comes to killing their main characters.

Some parts do stagnate a little, but that's only to be expected when you're trying to write new characters in to replace the old ('A Feast for Crows' I found a little arduous, but I persevered, and this one more than makes up for whatever I found lacking in book four) :)

If, like some, you came to the series from the HBO series, you still won't be disappointed. The storyline is kept pretty much the same, and apart from the Starks' ages changing, there is not much else that is different. All in all, a fantastic plot line that keeps you engaged from the beginning of book one right through to the end of book five... and let's hope it doesn't take Martin 6 more years to write the next one!!

Enjoy :) x

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid continuation of an excellent series, 20 Nov. 2012
Yes there is lots of it and yes there is a lot of chat about food and flags but that's GRRM, if you've got this far then don't stop now and be patient! The quality of his character building is excellent and one cannot hope to like all of them, that's just part of the subjective nature of life. I'm confident he'll get there I guess it just takes time.
My only grip however is the repeat of techniques, not so much to constant detail he insists on describing but the use of the chapters as supposed "cliff hangers" unfortunately too many folk have come back from the dead for any feeling of dread is lost!

2.0 out of 5 stars what a waste!, 9 Mar. 2013
i was so looking forward to this book,what a disappointment! where was the remaining characters in this book? what is happening to them? there was so many new character introduced, that has no relevance to the book,i found myself skipping parts of the book,just so i could finish it quickly,only to now find out that this story is nowhere near finished....yawn! what started as a riveting set of books feels as if the author is now stringing out another book just for the cash!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still not sure, 22 Jun. 2012
WOW...I just love these books, Have just read all of them one after the other, Like many people i have to say that i feel there is a real risk if it has not all ready of getting lost in its complex storyline. I am not sure even after all these books if it can be put on the same plain as Lord Of The Rings. Where i find the books differ is that HBO has made the TV show so good that it is a must watch and in some ways better than the read, where the books get you is you want to read just to see what happens next.BUT a real let down is the way ( am i wrong) that the pond life comes out on top, have not met one person who does not want to see the queen swinging and the dwarf gutted but NO only the good ones are killed off, I live in hope that there is a way to wind this saga up but i feel ( and i hope not even though i love the books) that it could take 5 more books to do it .

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan starting to falter, 9 Jun. 2012
R. Boston - See all my reviews
Thankfully, I've only been reading this series of books for a few years, which gives me a chance of still being alive when it's finished. If it's finished. As other reviewers are saying, the author is getting on a bit now and if he continues to write at such a slow pace he'll probably go the way of Robert Jordan and die before he finishes the final book.

The shame of this all is that the first books were awesome. The TV series is great, too, and bound to boost book sales. But I'm loathe to recommend those books to anyone as there's no sense that they'll ever get a conclusion. Even the TV series seems doomed, really: as great as it is, they can't release a series a year and actually deliver a conclusion - just five or six years of build up, then a "to be continued..." (in 10 years). It's like stopping a season of 24 half way, then making us wait for Keifer Sutherland's unborn son to grow up so he can star in the second half.

Back to this book: I got it in hardback as the complete volume and gasped at the weight of it - so much so, that I bought it on Kindle too so I could actually read the thing. It was a bit of a plodder. I still like the characters, I still like the richness of the world, but I'm finding it hard to connect with the newcomers and really just want to find out what happens to the people I've got to know through the last few years of reading. As a writer myself, I can appreciate that it takes time to write books - particularly if you're not on it everyday (and Martin has published other books, consulted on the TV series and probably had a life, too). But this doesn't feel like 6 years of real, loving effort. More like a bit of self-indulgence, or maybe a chore - like the pretty average job I make of mowing our lawn, but then I'm not pretending to be a master gardener and I haven't made buckets of cash from cutting grass.

The REAL scary bit is that I bet I buy the next one. And, as much as I don't want to wait for it, I'd hate Martin to do a rush job of it. All this effort deserves a truly storming ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience and vigilance people!, 5 April 2012
Am I alone in finding it really irritating just how many people are giving Martin's excellent series low scores either because they expect the complex multi-threaded story-lines wrapped up nice and neat at the end of each book; or because they got confused that the publisher and distributor decided to release what was over 1,000 pages in hardback as two books in paperback?

As far as the actual content is concerned, I have found A Song of Ice and Fire a riveting read - even part 4 which was perhaps the driest read - with no dragons or Others to break the political machinations and multitude of betrayals. I suppose that since Martin's main strength is without a shadow of doubt in his masterful characterisation - the one book where political narrative took centre-stage was always bound to have seemed slower than the rest.

But having thoroughly enjoyed his triumphant return to form in "A Dance with Dragons" (parts 1 and 2 and yes, I was almost caught out too :-)) I now look forward to seeing how Martin manages to draw these myriad of loose threads back to the leaderless Westeros, where I'm guessing we will be reading about the Direwolf and the Dragon (and the half-nose Lion?) fighting side-by-side for the future of humanity. If the concluding two books are going to be as good as what we've had so far, well I don't know about you, but I'm prepared to wait another few years.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)