4.0 out of 5 stars Back to greatness?
By leaving out some of the main characters, the previous book of the series, "A Feast for Crows", felt incomplete. Now that I finished reading "A Dance With Dragons - Dust and Dreams", I'm sure that both books should be considered part 1 and 2 of a larger, three-part installment.

Published 12 months ago by Pedro

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....
Published 22 months ago by ANNA OIKONOMAKI

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 20 Jun 2012
ANNA OIKONOMAKI "Anna" (Athens, Hellas, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (Paperback)
Yes, I know I'm not the first to say that the book disappointed me. It was too long and nothing new happened. Tyrion and Dany, my favorite characters ever since the first book, were unrecognisable: flat, uninteresting, frankly boring. No character development at all, either for those two or any of the others. The new POVs introduced added nothing more than pages to the story. The plot itself didn't seem to move an inch. Maybe, if I had not had to wait such a long time between books, I would have been less disappointed. But to have to wait for years only to realise that I must wait for I don't know how many more for the next book, well, that feels like a downright betrayal.

Let's hope that Mr Martin reads our comments and will take some of them to heart in writing the next book. It's OK to rest comfortably on your laurels, knowing that your readers are hooked by the quality of the first books and are dying to find out what happened to their favorite heroes, but it is quite another to make them feel cheated of their money and their time, because sooner or later they'll decide to visit the nearest library rather than their bookstore, and then where will Mr Martin and his publishers be?

3.0 out of 5 stars Martin losing track of his own story..., 26 Mar 2012
Well, after years of waiting, Dance with Dragons came out and did not fail to disappoint. The writing's been getting slower and slower on Martin's end, and the quality of the story is getting worse and worse. Feast for Crows already felt average compared to the 3 previous books, but we were all willing to accept that because we thought the book was a pedestal for Dance with Dragons to dazzle us with its pure might. Needless to say, it was a complete disappointment as Dance with Dragons is the most uneventful book in the series. Basically, nothing happens. The status quo doesn't change, characters seem to stay exactly where they are, the plot lines barely evolve (Tyrion wasn't entertaining. How is that even remotely possible? Tyrion's dialogue alone could make the first 3 books worth reading, well, lemme tell you what, not in this one). Martin is pulling a Robert Jordan on us, dragging on his series while the quality of the writing and story worsens periodically. Dance with Dragons is Song of Ice and Fire's equivalent to Wheel of Time's Path of Daggers (thankfully not quite a Crossroads of Twilight). Yes, for those of you who know that it means, it is that bad. Considering that I thought of Song of Fire and Ice would go down in history as one of the greatest fantasy epics ever written, I'm starting to have doubts now. Martin better pull a hell of sixth book to get his story back on track. He didn't ruin anything with this book as he barely added or removed anything, so there is still hope. But at the rate Martin's writing, I'll probably be worrying about putting my kids through college by the time he's done (and I don't even have kids yet).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the wait, 27 April 2012
I love this series, but after growing old waiting for this book, I was disappointed to find that it was not worth the wait or the ageing process.. Nothing happens. Danny sits around and doesn't even bother setting off for Westeros. Tyrion sets off to find Danny and doesn't get there. And if I can word this without too many spoilers .... after crafty old Doran Martell has plotted away and bided his time for so many years, his master plan comes to absolutely nothing and the reader is left wondering why she even bothered to read about it when it never went anywhere. And perhaps most disappointingly of all, for a book entitled "A Dance with Dragons" there was really not much in the way of dragons, dancing or otherwise. And this applies to dragons in the literal sense as well as the Targaryen sense. Sigh. I am already calculating how old I'll be when the next book comes out, and it is not a good thought. I have a very serious concern that Mr Martin will never actually finish this series, especially if any further books he manages to produce move as slowly as this one. I am surprised and disappointed to report that, as I neared the end of the book, I flipped forward a few times to se how much I had to get through before I could read something else. Not something that has happened to me so far in this previously superb series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Feast for Crows but GET ON WITH IT!!!, 28 April 2012
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book picks up less where a Feast For Crows left off, but more where A Storm of Swords left off. It and Crows are sort of in parallel, and this book follows the more interesting characters. I really did lose interest during Feast For Crows, but this one picks up what's happening to Tyrion, Jon, Dany.

The answer, unfortunately, is 'not much. Because in the 704 pages of the text, hardly anything happens. There is a lot of talking, some sailing, a bit of torture, some sharpening of swords. Winter is still coming, we are still afraid of the Others, we are still waiting for Danearys to cross the sea with her dragons, we are still waiting for someone to take on the Lannisters.

The main problem I have with the series is that Martin gets more and more long winded. What he needs most is a strong editor who can, basically, chop the books in half and just get things moving again.

I do still want to see what happens, but it gets harder to stick with each book.

And if his publisher, by some chance, reads this: it matters to you - I have stopped buying them and am now borrowing from the library. If you can get get Mr Martin down to 350-400 pages a book, it might just pick up again

3.0 out of 5 stars Still good, but splitting the story geographically was a massive mistake..., 2 May 2012
Despite a lot of negative amazon reviews I still found myself reading this book long into the night - the intrigues, places and characters still pull you into a world that is fantastical yet totally believable.

BUT...as with A feast for crows I found the split storylines (events in Kings Landing and Westeros covered in Book 4 and parallel events in Essos/the North in Book 5) unbelievably frustrating- what on earth posessed GRRM to pursue this? The reader is constantly trying to remember the events of Book 4 and how they fit into A dance with dragons. I found that I cared less what happened to Danaerys etc. because I had not read about them for so long, and I wanted to know what was happening in Kings Landing- but to no avail.

Worth buying, but in my opinion this series is no longer the great fantasy epic that it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to greatness?, 15 April 2013
Pedro (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews

As expected, "A Dance With Dragons" follows the footsteps of Jon, Bran, Davos, Daenerys, Tyrion, and some other less obvious characters such as Reek, Asha Greyjoy, Melisandre and Quentyn Martell, in a timeline parallel to "A Feast for Crows".

All threads are interesting from the beginning: Tyrion starts his exile in Essos, but quickly finds a way to be of use in the game of thrones, Jon tries to overcome the lack of able men and resources to prepare the Night's Watch for winter and a likely wight invasion, and Daenerys keeps her struggle to rule Meereen while the other neighbor slaver cities rise against her. However, in my opinion, the best (and most disturbing) parts belong to Reek and the Boltons. Bran also has a very emotional chapter that shows how great the saga has become.

+: the saga feels whole once again; the horrifying destiny of Reek; Bran's weirwood visions

-: such a lengthy build-up (AFfC + ADWD: DaD) forces the next book to take some big steps forward in the story; it will be a huge disappointment if it doesn't

=: the expectations are really high for "A Dance With Dragons: After the Feast", can't wait to read it

2.0 out of 5 stars Can be skipped, 15 Aug 2012
R. Harper (Dunstable, Bed's United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The characters move from A to B to C but there is no significant development of the plot.
There is the usual excessive amount of description that you get in modern fantasy books but if you've read all of the previous books in the series you'll be used to that by now.
You could skip this book and catch up with the next without any real harm to the flow of the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Four weddings and some frustration, 1 May 2012
George Martin doesn't really write novels, he channels history from some other weird world that exists somewhere inside his head. Anyone who reads history knows it's messy, unpredictable and often the good guys don't actually exist and even if they do they often lose! All this I have accepted since I reached the end of book 1 in a state of shock and trauma! So I won't complain about the plot, I won't complain about some of the deaths and I won't even complain about the absence of some of the lead characters (or their decidely bit part appearences)

No the huge frustration for me was the long build ups in tension and drama followed by complete anti-climax! The number of times we reached a moment of real drama only for Martin to close off the chapter and dump us somewhere else in his world where sod all was happening only to bring us back 150 pages later when it was all over. The worst example of this (if you will excuse a small spoiler) was the confrontation between Stannis and Roose Bolton. A battle that crawled towards a conclusion, then changed it's mind, then disappeared and then finally happened when we were not looking though we were told of it's outcome through a letter!!! A letter?!! Ahhhh!!!!! How frustratinhg is that I do not buy heroic fantasy full of heavily armoured characters with names like 'Bloodbeard', Eric Anvil-breaker and the Tattered Price, all armed too the teeth only for them never to come to blows!

I couldn't help but be suspicious that Martin is now writing story that can portrayed easily on the small screen as we have seen in the, it has to be said, excellent TV series which concentrates on the drama but avoids full pitch battles for budgetry reasons. Well I don't want to read a book with a small budget!

It's such a shame because characters I really care about just seem to drip from the end of Martin's pen whereas other authors can write 600 pages full of faceless no-ones with the personality of a slug, but the colour charaters here are carrying an awful lot of text with precious little actual plot to go round. It's like the start of book one was the big bang and Martin is now desperately trying to describe all the universe as it expands outwards at the speed of light and spreading himself too thin in the process. There are now so many people in this story in all honesty I have forgotten who half of them are and so don't really care what happens to them.

And yet...and yet I know when in presumeably the next 10 years or so the next volume comes out I shall have to go out and buy it to know what does actually happen but please George do make something happen and let some it of it be actual battle!

2.0 out of 5 stars See the TV series!, 10 Aug 2012
I loved the first three books...Pacy good characterisation, a coherent story. Come to book four, it's as though he wanted to start again, with the added test of "see if the reader can keep up with the ever growing list of names and houses" Iv'e just finished book 5 part 1, and I'm about to start book 5 part two, but really more from a curiosity about what happens to Tyrion, and Dany, (in particular)
The TV series are excellent, albeit different from the books. I think M Martin could do with a strong editor, (I reckon he has this on the TV series, which helps move the action on at a nifty pace.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series of books, but this title is a little bit of a let down., 1 Aug 2012
I have truly loved this series so far. Feast for crows was a bit of a plod along, but the books before it were utterly engaging, emotional and memorable.

In this book, I'm glad to see the return of a few absent characters, and while I still find some of the chapters richly satisfying, overall this book has turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax. I feel indifferent to a lot of the newly introduced POV characters, and utterly disinterested in the inconsequential list of names and ties that they associate with. I'm also becoming a little tired of the explicit, ugly sex scenes which I feel add almost nothing to the story, and have left me putting the book to one side out of distaste, even skipping pages.

Regardless, Martin has made me love the core characters so much that I will stick with them till the end. I'm going to read the second part of Dance With Dragons with an optimistic mind.

ARRAY(0xb28fbd2c)

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
3.86