5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pocket Bible
I purchased this edition of the Bible because I needed a pocket version of this accurate and readable translation; it has exceeded all my expectations. This is a beautiful edition with an excellent binding, well designed tab closing, a good concordance, and although the print is small it is amazingly clear; all this comes at an extraordinarily low price.
Published on 11 April 2008 by G. Heath

3.0 out of 5 stars Large Print ESV- read this review!
Published on 25 Jan 2007 by Paul McFarland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Large Print ESV- read this review!, 25 Jan 2007
This review is from: Large Print Bible-ESV (Hardcover)
This is quite a big Bible (imagine an A4 sheet but with about an inch off each side). I purchased for general/daily reading. My eyesight is good and I don't need glasses, but having a font size just a couple of points larger is easier for reading decent amounts of scripture. The disadvantage to this however is that it is still split column - so eight words to a column, not really any easier to read as the sentances are all broken with line breaks.

This Bible has seven high quality maps on thick paper as follows-

1. the journey of the patriarchs

2. the route of the exodus

3. the division of Israel between the twelve tribes

4. the kingdoms of Saul, David and Solomon

5. the new Jerusalem (of Bible times)

6. two page spread of map of Palestine and ministry of Jesus - very good for geographical context of Christ's journeys

7. the missionary journeys of Paul.

The maps are taken from 1986 Moody inst. Chicago.

This version has a 12,000 word concordance- which really toally insufficient if you want to do a thorough search or study (though an exhaustive concordance cannot be expected). Most importantly for me it does not have the centre column cross reference. Personally I was a little dissapointed as the cross reference would have been really handy but then again- this is too big as a travel Bible so I can use my computer for reference anyway. This large print edition is good if you have all the other study facilities you need, but for a young believer I would advise getting the "Reformation Study Bible-Esv by R. C. Sproul and Keith A. Mathison". This Bible is really designed for people with failing eyesight who will read slowly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pocket Bible, 11 April 2008
G. Heath (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well thought out, 20 Jun 2014
I purchased this as it is the only Anglicised version of the Bible I could find in an electronic version, apart from ones specifically adapted for Roman Catholics. I prefer larger size fonts than the average bible, but do not want to carry about a great tome weighing several kilograms.
The people who prepared this e-book do not appear to have much idea of the requirements of Bible readers.
The e-book is designed for someone who starts at the beginning and reads through to the end - the Bible is seldom read like that - it is a reference book, where ability to get to a particular place is required.
Open it on any page, and all you get is text and verse numbers - there is no header to tell you what book of the Bible is being read, what chapter you are in (unless the chapter starts on that page), and again the book name is not available, so what book am I reading chapter 3 of?.
Similarly to get to a particular chapter and verse you have to a) choose the book - you get taken to the front of the book, which has a list of chapters, and b) you then choose a chapter and c) you then have to go through it and find the verse
Similarly the footnotes are all separate at the back of the book, so you cannot see the footnotes at the same time as the test they relate to.
It just makes using is as a replacement for a paper bible un-realistic. I shall sadly be reverting to my (American Englsih) e-bible, which has much better navigation, and remembers the passages you have recently read.
There is a significant market for an Anglicised e-bible, but it needs to be prepared using Encyclopedia type software, to allow quick location of the required passage. Many people I know use computers/tablets to read the bible, becasue they want to be able to have the large print, and would prefer an Anglicised version, if it were available with decent navigation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but small writing, 14 Dec 2007
J. Ross (UK) - See all my reviews
I knew I was getting a small bible, but the writing here is smaller than I expected, but fine for my every day use.

The mini concordance in the back is extremely useful and "contains more than 2,600 word entries and more than 12,000 Scripture references"

The bible has recently begun to fall apart, although it's been bashed around in my bag for about a year. The cover has come away from main text at the front.

Altogether good.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you'd expect for the price, 10 May 2012
Steve W (Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is good value for money for a paperback bible. At this price, the binding is glued not stitched, but you can lay the Bible open flat without the book closing up again. Print is about medium sized, not too small.

Each book of the Bible is prefaced with a short couple of paragraphs about who wrote that book, when and why.

Obviously, if the Bible is well used (taken to Bible study groups etc), then I can see it starting to show its age rather quickly. But then as they are only a couple of quid each, you can just buy another one once it becomes a bit dog-eared!

This particular edition is much better value than the 1 ESV Bible (also available on Amazon). That one is a little too cheap (in price and quality!), with very small print and rubbish glue binding; but this one is okay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good low cost option, 30 Sep 2010
Hi

In my view the ESV is one of the best modern translations in that its formal but not so formal that its difficult to use. The ESV is great for both study and daily devotion.

This is one of their lowest cost versions. Its printed in the style of a regular paper backed book. No fancy paper, and a standard card backing. There is no cross referencing in this version but for the price thats to be expected.

I would recommend this version to someone showing an interest in the word of God for the first time or for someone who just wants a cheap bible to keep in a backpack or the car.

Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars superb size, 14 July 2010
This is an excellent size NT because it is so so small, yet is has a bigger text size (7-point) than the 'compact' ESV complete bibles. It also has Psalms and Proverbs.

So if you are just reading a NT book and just want something small to carry around with you this is excellent and tiny. It also has a small black ribbon and words of Jesus in red.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great bible...however..., 13 Jun 2010
Mr. D. Butt (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The ESV translation is great; it is the best out there next to the NASB. I also really enjoy the classic reference system as well, I would not buy another bible without having one. My only complaint is with the quality; although Crossway offer a limited lifetime warranty on the bible, it should however last longer than just 8 months. I found that after 8 months of continual use, the binding was beginning to split and come away from the imitation leather cover. I've had to tape it up in a few places; my Fiancée also has a crossway bible (a different one to this one) and she too has had to tape and 'repair' the binding on her bible as well (Hers is just over 2 years old). Bibles are not exactly cheap, and I don't want to be buying a new bible every year. I have to say I was a little disappoint. Other than this problem, I really do think this is a great value for the money...but unfortunately, my next bible wont be a manufactured by crossway.

3.0 out of 5 stars good translation, & a good price, 3 Jun 2009
Niccolo65 (Aberdeenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like the ESV translation, and this is a cost-effective way of trying it out. There are some excellent versions available, Allan's of Glasgow are now selling ESV bibles of the highest quality anywhere, but this cheap paperback version is good enough to carry around in your rucksack or briefcase; it has a nice print size and for those of us who are getting that little bit older, that's always important. At this price, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Word of God in a practical portable format., 23 Mar 2008
John Pace - See all my reviews
Not only was I curious about the ESV translation, I was looking for small format as a companion for my daily activities. I do have to admit that the size of the print is small, but to pack God's Word into such a small package there is no other alternative. Eventhough small, it is readable and to my surprise the quality of print and binding is outstanding. I have a copy of the NIV (from another publisher) and am also quite pleased eventhough the Bible was printed in of all places - China. The ESV from Crossway is printed in the EU. Another super "add on" is the possibility to receive, either via free CD or download, a copy a Bible Resource program. This program is fantastic and will greatly aid your study and understanding of the Book of Books. Would I do it again? Yes, but my next copy will be a full sized version of this wonderful translation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Holy Bible: English Standard Version (ESV) Anglicised Pew Bible
Holy Bible: English Standard Version (ESV) Anglicised Pew Bible by Collins Anglicised ESV Bibles (Hardcover - 26 April 2012)
9.88