4.0 out of 5 stars Another Morpurgo super Tale.
Published 22 months ago by ACB (swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Outlaw
Bought for my grand-nephew who is 11 and not sure if it would be suitable I read it myself quickly. The author is a favourite of mine for children's books but I was not so struck with this one. A bit weird compared with his other books. Not sure whether boy will enjoy it.
Published on 10 Sep 2012 by critic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Morpurgo super Tale., 29 Nov 2012
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood (Paperback)
Robin has a dream, always the same dream, where he is a boy in the thick of Sherwood Forest. He uncovers a skull. Is it his father or is it him? The legend of Robin the outlaw grows out of this. The oddball characters are reliable and committed to form a legion. The names are familiar. Friar Tuck, Little John, Will Scarlett, Much the Millar, all versus black Guy of Guisbourne, Prince John and the dislikeable Sheriff of Nottingham. The good are all for the allegiance to King Richard. Throw in Maid Marion and we have the cast. This, however, is Morpurgo taking things on from a different slant. The motivation of Robin against the hierarchical corruption and evils are there but there is more than a touch of humanity to his compatriots and the villagers under the domination and brutality of the oppressors. Robin seems to ride through this. Dream or not? 'Good verus evil'. 'Black or white' I'm sure children as well as adults can identify with this concept. Also the epitomy of rob the rich to feed the poor. Wonderful sentiments. I think Morpurgo has pulled it off.

Another excellent book from the prolific author. Robin, with perhaps a more simplistic variation knowing the story as adults. Probably for the 9 year olds plus who almost certainly have not seen Richard Greene in the 1950's TV series and maybe not the films that followed. Clean and fresh approach to the book. Enjoyable for me and my 9 year old grandaughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 7 Jan 2014
Excellent book I really enjoyed it I would give this book an age of 10-12 but also perfect for people who are interested and want to know more about robin hood.

5.0 out of 5 stars very entertaining, 29 Dec 2012
Mrs. L. M. Royle (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood (Paperback)
I bought a class set of these to study with my yr6, I know they will love it as they have read many Morpurgo books and this one is exciting and as ever Morpurgo's vocab is challenging to children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood (Paperback)
My son loved War Horse, but is much more interested in music and his PS3 than reading now. I bought this for his holiday read and he devoured it during the car journey - he absolutely loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlaw, 10 Jan 2013
This is one of my favourite books that I have ever read and I would recommend this book to people who like legends history and adventure books

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 15 Jun 2014
Chose this rating because it is really good. I would recommend it for 8 and over. I really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 20 April 2014
I love this book, classic Morpurgo, strong characterisation and narrative, controlled use of imagination and language to great effect. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for UKS2, 11 April 2014
I used this as part of a unit on legends. It's got some great language features in it, which provide great starting points for writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The outlaw is a great book!!, 14 Feb 2014
this book is exiting, great, and in some bits sad.

I would rate it a 5 star because it is one of the best books I've ever read! :)

though maybe there should be a better ending as I kind of didn't understand it. :|

but it is very good to read if you are bored. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Morpurgo excells again., 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood (Paperback)
Noting Michael Morpurgo can EVER not be excellent in the eyes of my Grandson and this book was no exception. I would recommend Michael Morpurgo to everyone - child and adult.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood
Outlaw: The story of Robin Hood by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 29 Mar 2012)