4.0 out of 5 stars What more could you ask for?
Alison for [...]
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Please note, this book is second in the series, if you haven't read the first there may be spoilers.

Published 13 months ago by Big Book Little Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragments
Published 12 months ago by Amethyst Bookwyrm

4.0 out of 5 stars What more could you ask for?, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fragments (Paperback)
Alison for [...]
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Picking up a couple of weeks after the events of `Partials' `Fragments' is a very strong second book in a series. It holds a hint of nostalgia for me as `Partials' was the first book I was given to review by the Big Book Little Book team, as soon as the galley for `Fragments' appeared I was very eager to get my hands on it, the book didn't disappoint.

Partials was very heavy on the sci fi, Fragments has moved away a bit from this. It's still an incredibly strong theme in the book, it always going to be when you are writing about biologically engineered robots, but much of the science has already been established so I suppose it doesn't need explaining in quite the same way. There is also a move away from the dystopian topics of control, this book looks at individuals and their relationships to a much greater extent. It's almost as Dan Wells felt as though he needed a book to establish his world and then he could concentrate on his characters. That's not to say that the characters aren't well drawn or one dimensional in Partials, but in Fragments we did see a greater depth to them and some relationships were explored in more detail. This was fantastic, as for me it's the characters that really make a book. Fragments also had more of a sense of adventure to it with some incredible action packed scenes. This isn't just a book for the girls, even with a female central character this is a book that I should be able to sell to the boys too.

There is still the crucial element of Romance and the hints of that ever present YA device, the love triangle, but this doesn't take over the book. It's there in the background, enough to satisfy those who like a little romance in their books but not enough to overwhelm the story. Just the way I like it.

Fragments has built such a believable future world that you can't help but be drawn into the story. It isn't a short book, but despite the length and fairly complicated storyline it is a fairly easy read. The writing draws you in and you really start to care about the characters. I found that I needed to know more and had to carry on reading.

The book also raises some interesting arguments over morality. The entire premise of the series, the creation of bioengineered robots, who think for themselves, being made for military purposes is always going to raise some interesting questions into the ethic of such a thing. What I have found incredibly interesting in both books is that Wells has decided to set the book after a virus has wiped out most of the human species, rather than the event itself. This means that both sides have had chance to evaluate their actions and how different camps have come to different conclusions is very interesting. The preconceptions of each side towards the other could be applied to so many issues that affect the human race, it becomes an interesting study of what it means to be human, even though one side technically isn't. This really comes to the fore in Kira's internal struggle, raised as human until she finds out that she is actually a partial as a teen, she feels that she doesn't fit in either world. Human's would see the robot whose kind almost destroy the human race, where as the partials just see someone is thinks like a human. I'm really looking forward to seeing how all of this can be resolved in the next book.

Verdict: A well built world, fantastic characters and some interesting moral issues, what more could you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sequel, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Fragments (Partials) (Paperback)
Just when I thought that YA dystopian fiction with decent world building was a myth akin to a Unicorn, Dan Wells' Partials rekindled my faith and happily Fragments confirmed it. Wells' carefully crafted a world that was both visually and descriptively solid and realistic in the first of his series and Fragments picks up where it left off never once letting go of the reins with another stunning and compelling instalment that left me breathless by the end.

Partials ends on a hopeful note as our protagonist Kira has returned to East Meadow, triumphant with the cure for RM, saving the life of her beloved adopted sister's baby. However when Fragments begins, all is not well in her world. It is as brutal and harsh as ever as the last humans' left deal with betrayal from those elected to protect and defend them. With power still up for grabs and riots breaking out as fear of extinction still pervades the air; peace is still a ways off.

The story is told from two perspectives, Kira whom we know well from Partials and her on-again, off-again boyfriend Marcus. This was a great move by Wells' as it allowed the reader to always have a keen perspective and knowledge of what was happening first hand, both in the human world and the partial world. Kira, who was devastated to learn that her origins may not be as simple and clear-cut as she has always believed, leaves East Meadow looking for answers, both for RM as her "cure" is unable to be synthesised and also as to who she really is, where are her parents and how did she really come to be a part of the East Meadow community. Her journey takes her to New York where she meets up with computer genius and ParaGen tech, Afa Demoux, who has believed for 12 years that he is the last human on earth. With his help and that of Samm, a Partial with whom Kira feels an inexplicable connection and Heron, a covert Partial model, Kira sets off on a perilous and harrowing journey across the rough and wild terrain of an America that has forgotten who used to be in charge.

I love how Wells' drops us right into the action with little back-story to weigh us down. In the world he's created, it is so richly vivid that it isn't needed. Partials was still very clear in my mind as I read Fragments which allowed Wells to expand on the scientific and technological aspects of this brave new world. As in Partials, at times, the "info-dump" can be a little overwhelming, this time it is computer knowledge whilst in Partials, it was genetic science. However it is all extremely interesting and any fan of Michael Crichton or Battlestar Galactica will be in heaven. I certainly was.

The addition of Afa was brilliant; his sweet, complex character highlighted the compassionate side of Kira and added an extra layer to the emotional aspects of the story. Samm made a welcome return; his quiet, affable nature always complimented Kira's more emotional and fiery character. Their relationship grows in complexity throughout this story and was one of my favourite aspects of the plot. Heron was at times the most human of all characters despite her cybernetic origins. Feisty, opinionated but above all loyal to both her race and her friends, she was a welcome addition to the core group of characters. At times, Kira's journey through the wastelands of what remains of the US was a little slow paced at times and hampered the action. My only gripe with the whole book was its length, at over 500 pages, it is a hefty weight and it was at these junctures that the length was truly felt.

Marcus's journey however was more action packed as the Partials bring war to the humans' front door. It was fascinating again to read about the ease in which society can be destabilised and how utterly terrifying it is when power breeds corruption. As the humans battle to save themselves from RM, the Partials are facing an equally terrifying fate, an expiration date, which they believe the answer to lies somewhere in the human world. As both races battle to save themselves, they foolishly allow emotion to get the better of each other rather than realising that the answer to their prayers lies in trusting each other and working together. Again as in Partials, Humanity and its treatment of its "children" comes under scrutiny and we see how en masse, the race is fragile and utterly incapable of saving itself from it's own destruction. The sub-plot of the "Failsafe" highlights this and was one of the more sinister aspects of the story. Marcus teams up with Ariel, the mysterious sister of Kira's who left her home as soon as she turned 16 and together they search for answers to Nandita's identity and what her role in Kira's background truly is. While Marcus attempts to save the world by bringing the fight to the Partials, Kira feels its weight as she follows the endless clues to the true reasons for the "beginning of the end of the civilisation."

The book is in four parts and it is in part three that the action really excels. The sense of hopelessness and fatigue as the journey towards the answers they seek grows more perilous comes flooding through the words and the pace picks up as the race against time grows shorter. The final part of the book was a thrill ride from start to finish and the tension as both Marcus and Kira get closer to the end of their missions was unbearable at times. A new threat, Kira's true and terrifying fate, the progression of new relationships are some of the things we have to look forward to in the next book as Wells' leaves us with a cliff hanger that is seriously mind-blowing and will be a wrench to wait for. An amazing addition to the series, Wells' once again gives us a glimpse into a terrifying future that awaits humanity with just a few simple yet misguided choices. Unmissable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragments, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Fragments (Partials) (Paperback)
Kira has found a cure for RM but it is not easily accessible as it means using the partials, now she is on a search across the country with Samm, Heron and an unhinged computer expert called Afa for a cure for both the humans and partials as well as answers to who she is and who know about her. Meanwhile back on Long Island, Marcus and the rest of humanity are on the edge of war with the partials, a war which they know they cannot win, will Kira and Samm find the answers before it is too late for both races.

Fragments is the second instalment in the Partials series, which is a different but ok YA dystopia. This story does drag a bit as it focuses too much on the journey to find answers and less on the actual action.

More so in this book than the last I could not connect to any of the characters and did not really care about what happened to them. Also I did not like the love triangle developing between Kira, Samm and Marcus as I am so bored of them in YA books.

Fragments is an ok book and I hope it gets better in the next one. I would recommend this book to people who enjoyed the first book Partials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partials book 2, 28 April 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fragments (Partials) (Paperback)
Last year I read Partials, the first book in the Partials Sequence series and I was pretty impressed. I liked it a lot; I thought it was smart, exciting and well written. I also thought it was very wordy and I gave it 4 stars because it was a little too long.

When I received Fragments for review I was a little put off by the length. This is a lot of book and I was intimidated, if I struggled with the length of the first book how would I cope with the second? I find the middle book of a series to almost always be worse than the first. But Fragments really surprised me, the length was not an issue and I thought it was better than Partials in every way.

I actually am finding this review a fairly awkward thing to write because I honestly cannot think of one negative thing to say about this book. I thought it was amazing, it improved on the first book in every area and I can do nothing but gush at its brilliance and pure audacity.

The world building was impeccable and I lived every second of this novel. I think Dan Wells is probably the best dystopian writer out there at the moment. The devastation and bleakness of this world was on par with McCarthy's The Road.

I liked the characters so much more in Fragments. I connected with the confused and desperate Kira in a way I hadn't before. I liked that other people in other parts of this torn apart and devastated world got their say. This is not just Kira's story but its Marcus's, Ariel's and others story as well.

We got to see a lot more of the Partials in this, from the sweet and loyal Samm to the temperamental and self-assured Heron. I really liked them and it was interesting to see life through their eyes.

There was less politics in this which I prefered but it was still terribly smart, if not more so. There were many twists and turns that had me gasping. Wells also manages to add in some important subjects like racism, war and dictatorship but it doesn't come across as preachy.

There is also some romance but it is by no means the main storyline, it is incredibly understated yet, somehow it managed to get under my skin and I think I might have swooned.

This book ends on a bang and I don't know if I can wait for the next book. Fragments is better than Partials in every way and if the series carries on this trend I might not survive Ruins. I thought this was a triumph and it is by far one of the best books I have read this year.

I give it ALL the stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing follow up!!, 7 Mar 2014
****SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS REVIEW****
Fragments is the follow up to Partials and finds Kira out on her own looking for answers after she found a photo with Nandita, her father and her as a little girl outside a ParaGen building. On the back of the photo is a message - Find the Trust. Who is the Trust and what do they have to with Nandita and her father? Were they a part of this? And how did she know Nandita before the Break? She needs answers. So this is what Kira sets out to find.

Along the way she meets Afa who, before the break, was the IT Director at ParaGen and has collected information about the company, the Partials, RM and the Trust among other things. Unfortunately Afa has been alone since the break and seems to have gone slightly mad having only small moments of lucidity where Kira can get useful information from him. She also meets back up with Sam and Heron and they join forces to travel, first to Chicago and then through the wastelands to Denver to find the answers she's looking for.

In between their travels we get to see what's happening back on Long Island since Kira left. The human settlement is invaded by Dr Morgan - who it seems is more than meets the eye - looking for Kira. Dr Morgan believes that Kira holds the key to the Partials expiry date which is fast approaching for all of them. Marcus, Kira's boyfriend, ends up fighting in the war between the humans and Partials and comes up with an idea after he finds out that there are separate factions within the Partials that disagree with the methods that Dr Morgan seems to be employing. Can they join together to defeat Dr Morgan?

This part of the trilogy is a race to find the answer to RM - although Kira knows that there is a cure there is no way to replicate it - and to the Partials expiry date. Kira finds herself torn between two worlds and loyalties as she realizes that she herself is a Partial (although a newer model than the others and very different). Should she think of herself as human still as this is all that she has known, or should she start to side with the Partials. She struggles with this throughout the book and finds herself wanting to save everyone. She wants all to survive and live in harmony together instead of fighting and warring with each other and looking for ways to get rid of the other side.

The story makes you think about the work that was done in order to create the Partials in the first place. Just because we can do something does it mean that we should? Obviously this kind of technology isn't real but should we be trying to accomplish and work towards some of things that they were able to do in the future? Maybe, maybe not. It raises some interesting moral dilemmas.

The growing relationship between her and Sam was lovely to read. Kira is confused over her feelings and Sam, being a Partial, does not know how to express or show emotions. He trusts Kira implicitly and would do anything for her. It takes a shock from someone else to finally verbalize his feelings but is it too late?

This book answered a lot of questions but also raised some more - as all good series should. I cannot wait to read the final chapter and am desperate to see how both parties can get what they need and save the world. Will Sam & Kira find their way to each other? I hope so!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Fragments (Kindle Edition)
This story is well thought through, packed with hints and mystery and even romance. I highly recommend this series. Once you begin, you will be hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars great and unusual apocolyptic read., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fragments (Kindle Edition)
Keeps you guessing right till the end that isn't an end. Cant wait for the next installment due out in July,

5.0 out of 5 stars I need the next book now! :D, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fragments (Kindle Edition)
Dont want to spoil the story but cant wait to download the next book now ! Really good story line which keeps you thinking about the different characters in the book :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Dystopian fans must read this, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fragments (Partials) (Paperback)
Absolutely brilliant such an intelligent story but also so easy to read. It was so faced paced and I cannot wait for the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fragments (Kindle Edition)
I keep recommending these books to my friends as they are such easy and good reads. I love the story line and found myself really believing in them. Great find, great read, happy book crazy girl here

ARRAY(0xabea5864)

Fragments (Partials)
Fragments (Partials) by Dan Wells (Paperback - 28 Mar 2013)
5.59