5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Jon Richardson
Do not buy this book if you're just looking for laughs from cover to cover. This book is far more than that.

Published on 30 Aug 2011 by Jimb'o

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it
It took me quite a while to read this book because it just didn't grab me really. I don't normally read non-fiction so maybe it's my fault for going off-piste, but I really like Jon Richardson's stand-up and panel show work so I thought I'd like this.
Published 12 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Jon Richardson, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: It's Not Me, It's You! (Paperback)

There are some brilliant 'laugh out loud' moments in this book, don't read it in public if you're easily embarrassed! However, this book is not just a series of funny anecdotes, it's Jon showing a very personal part of himself with great honesty and candour.

I went to see Jon at the Edinburgh Fringe; he did an hour's book reading of this - you truly get inside the real Jon Richardson, not just the comedy ...and that is what this book is all about. I had the privelege of meeting Jon afterwards, and he truly is just as he writes. His writing is naturally him, no flourishes or gloss, just real Jon Richardson.

This book is a must buy, try it, you won't be disappointed (as long as you heed my opening sentence).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sincere And Very Funny, 30 July 2012
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: It's Not Me, It's You!: Impossible perfectionist seeks very very very tidy woman (Paperback)
I've read a lot of books by comedians that try to transfer their stage style to paper and struggle. They have enough comedy to last them 10 minutes on a comedy roadshow, but they can't stretch it out for 300 pages.

Meet Jon Richardson, a perfectionist who finds fault in things he sees that are not quite right, and he sees them everywhere.

He tries to explain why he's been single for eight years, against the backdrop of trying to woo, or not, someone he's taken a fancy to.

It's well thought out, and very enjoyable to read. Those familiar with his dry wit from "8 out of 10 cats" will feel the frustration in his tone as he battles with the "quiet" carriage, but will also cringe at his obsession with seeing, or missing, a mileometer milestone.

It's a real surprise that such an unassuming character, and a relative newcomer to the comedy panel circuit, could produce such a fine book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Honest, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: It's Not Me, It's You! (Paperback)
Some people say that other people are the personification of objects and ideals. This book, "It's Not Me, It's You" is the book version of Jon, which makes sense as it's Jon's book. But what I mean is, is that if you're a long-standing fan of the radio show and Jon Richardson, especially during the Russell days, then you already have had glimpses of the way his mind works and the way he thinks of the world and of himself. In the book, he says his stand up is like a 20 minute to an hour condensed version, except not as detailed or indepth and he's right, but nothing in this book should shock or surprise anyone if they are a longstanding fan. He gets angry, he gets angry at himself, he gets angry at the world, and he back-and-forths on scenarios regarding the rest of the world, and before anyone knows it, he's mapped out his future and is already picking it to pieces.

There is a lot of Meta going on in this book, by the way, just to let you know.

I think the most powerful thing he talked about in the book was when he says he picks up the glass and gets an overwhelming urge to just smash it against the wall. He goes to do it... and then stops himself, because a voice at the back of his mind says "Don't do that" and backs up of why he Shouldn't do that with a health and safety risk assessment. He then ends up in the bath, covered in a towel, calming himself down and doing something he calls the Zoom technique.

If this dude wasn't a comedian, I really think he'd be a brilliant observational psychiatrist. He could even be both! This is why I adore this man. He has a moral compass that he questions and analyses but still sticks by, because he knows it's right. He just doesn't do what he is told is right, he questions and concludes that they ARE right. He has some issues, but he's no different than the average man, but he still gets on stage and makes people laugh. He did it on the radio, he does it on panel shows and he does it on stage.

And now he does it in a book! This very book! I loved reading this book, from beginning to end. I genuinely didn't want to put it down, and when I realised i'd nearly read it in a day, only then did I stop and put it down. It is too much of a good book to read in one day.

If you're a fan of Jon Richardson, buy the book. If you're on a fan of inner monologues by people who are riddled with perfectionist based habits, buy the book. If you feel like you have two people constantly arguing inside of your head, figuring out which version of yourself should be portrayed the most, buy the book!

He's been so underrated for so many years. Thank who-ever's out there that people are finally catching on to just how good he is. If you don't believe me, watch a bunch of his stand up, watch him on comedy panel shows, listen to him when he's on the radio, and most importantly...

Buy the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sort of miserable but highly entertaining, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: It's Not Me, It's You! (Paperback)
For those quick review scanners, I will make this easy for you - if you like Jon Richardson, you will enjoy this book.

For those that like to read thoroughly to make a very informed purchasing decision (and indeed, those that love Jon are likely to be the kind of people that would), here are some more thoughts:

Jon Richardson's comedy goes far above and beyond other comedians, because it's so personal and honest. And that's what strikes you when reading this; there's no fluff, just pure, honest Jon. It's difficult not to laugh out loud in places and then read out the funny passage to whoever's nearest to you at the time.
As he explains at the start, this is not an autobiography, but you still get to learn a lot about him. It's all centred on how he is at present.
Jon's writing style just flows perfectly and you'll find yourself half way through the book before you even realise it.
A great, satisfying read - I hope to see many more books from Jon Richardson in the future, whether they're about himself or not!

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 20 Aug 2013
There are some good passages which made me chuckle, and I did empathise with some of his behaviour, but it was just a little pedestrian for me.
And the ending was not what I wanted, although Jon Richardson cannot be criticised for that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts out funny, then turn sad and maudlin, 20 Jan 2013
ST Nicholls "viggenboy" (Saxmundham, Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
I love JR's standup, so had great hopes for this; however although it starts out laugh out loud funny, by the fourth chapter it simply becomes a maudlin sad self introspection that isn't even worthy of a smile most of the time.

One of the other reviewers i read before i bought this was railing about how Jon nedds medical help. In the first part i thought "this reviewer just doesn't get Jons sense of humour".... now I'm not so sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars I laughed a bit..., 17 Jan 2013
M. A. Foster (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
But as the book wore on he started to really irritate me. Probably not helped by that two part documentary / road trip that was on just before Christmas where he came across as the most dour bloke... can't imagine how anyone could put up with him for any length of time. The book captures that perfectly. Hope it's an act for his sake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it even if you aren't his biggest fan, 9 Jan 2013
Well worth a read. Hadn't heard that he had written this until I saw it on the kindle as I am not an avid follower of his but this book was very funny and interesting from start to finish

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 3 Jan 2013
Initially I found this book really interesting and funny but as it went on I found it depressing and felt for jon. An interesting read and very honest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 30 Dec 2012
Quite funny and goes into great detail about the ins and outs of daily life . But becomes quite boring after the first three chapters.

6.29