5.0 out of 5 stars I Want the Next Book Now!
Published on 5 July 2006 by KMont

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the strongest entry in the series
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by A. L. Rutter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want the Next Book Now!, 5 July 2006
I love this series. No, I mean I REALLY love this series! A quick rundown of its finer points: It's got action, though not over the top. It has a smidgeon of romance that lends a slight sensitive air to an often dangerous and suspenseful atmosphere. It has amazingly strong characters, from villain to heroine, that make you feel and know who they really are. And finally, though never least, it has a solid plot that advances satisfactorily with each progressive installment.

Rachel Morgan has had some tough issues to deal with in less than one year. She's been marked for death by the organization that she once worked for and survived. She's been marked and almost claimed by a rather nasty demon, yet managed to best even that complex being. And so achingly close to home, she's still coming to terms with her scattered love life, confusingly twisted around her roommate Ivy, her lover Kisten and former boyfriend Nick. It's not a love triangle, but it comes durn close! When her estranged partner, Jenks, comes on board for one last run, they're off to Michigan to pull Nick and one of Jenks' sons out of trouble. As always with our dear, flawed Rachel, she gets way more than she bargained for and soon they're fending off the unwanted attentions of some disturbingly unified Were packs. Why are the Weres uniting and what will it bring as the normally submissive species climbs its way towards top of the supernatural food chain? Nothing good for the vamps, which have much to lose if the packs do unite. With ultra aggressive Weres sniping from every direction, and more undead looking on her with not so subtle lust, what's a poor earth witch to do? With Rachel, it's an open book and fans may be surprised at the lengths she's willing to go to in this one.

If Harrison's new book is on the shelves, every other book I've got waiting to be read will just have to wait longer. Harrison pulls readers right in once again with this excruciatingly enticing installment, which I am completely convinced is the best of the series to date. Told in the first person, we're allowed a depth of Rachel's character that seems so much more personal than with books told in third person. Readers will feel every punch, every wound and recovery effort Rachel takes on throughout the story, as well as every emotion. This is an emotional wringer, with Rachel, Jenks and Ivy's problems laid barer than they've ever been before. There are two levels of betrayal that raised the bar in this one, one towards Rachel, the other towards Jenks that helped set this one apart from the previous books. And of course, the ever suspenseful situation of Rachel and Ivy... Kim Harrison is an amazing author, one I am so happy to see continuing with this thrilling rollercoaster ride we're on with her. Waiting with not much patience here for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenks and Rachel go to Plan B, 29 Jun 2009
I was so impressed with this book. It's the fourth in the Rachel Morgan series and is definitely the best so far. The pace was much better managed; I never felt as if the story lagged on -- indeed, from start to finish I could barely put it down! 'A Fistful of Charms' takes the characters out of their usual haunts (Cinncy and the Hollows) and into another city way out of town. This made for a nice change of pace and gave the book, as well as the characters, a nice breather.

Rachel soon finds that her AWOL ex-boyfriend Nick has run off with Jenks's son Jax and has stolen a very important (formerly lost) Were artefact. Despite Jenks's and Rachel's falling out in the last book they team up again for the rescue mission. Trent and Al are nowhere to be seen in this book, usually I would have been disappointed but Jenks more than made up for their absence. He was truly the star here and we got to see a very different side to him -- in more ways than one! For this run he agrees to be made human-sized via a spell; with some persuading he turns into a hunky six-foot-four eighteen year old blond. Hilarity thus ensues the whole way through as Jenks gets to grips with his new height; we learn a lot more about him and he becomes probably the best drawn character in the book. I thought it was funny Rachel drooled over him the entire trip -- it was a nice call-back to the first book when she ogled him as a small mink. Speaking of call-backs there were a heck of a lot in this book, which is always nice as it gives the series a feeling of connection. It reminds us that the story and their various events don't exist in isolation and what happens affects the characters.

The friendship between Rachel and Jenks was more fully explored here and almost the entire first half of the book is devoted to them. It says a lot that these two characters could carry the weight of the story with ease. Proving that when it comes down to it, they only really needed each other to have a successful run (plus some sleepy time charms). This story started with them both after all. There's a great moment where Rachel tells Jenks they're going to 'plan B', and he references back to the second book where he says: 'grab the fish and run like hell!' meaning they were going to wing it like they always enjoy doing. Even in the face of insurmountable odds! In some parts, however, I wanted to throttle Rachel for her stupidity. She's made to take a good hard look at herself due to the events of this book and I would hope it means she wises up a little. Her dumb behaviour at times beggars belief.

The scenes between Jenks, Rachel and Ivy being probably some of the best stuff Harrison has written in the series yet. It was very emotional and tense. Needless to say things get moving a lot more, ironic seeing as this book was barely in its normal location... and without its usual villains. Overall, an excellent book. I hope the next one is as good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the strongest entry in the series, 16 Jun 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
"Let's take a look at my track record. I live in a church with a vampire who is the scion of a master vampire who would just as soon see me dead. I date her old boyfriend, who used to be said master vampire's scion, and my ex-boyfriend is a professional thief who calls demons and trades information about me for tips to steal artifacts that can start an Inderland power struggle." This is the shape of Rachel Morgan's life as we go through the fourth book in Kim Harrison's series about the Hollows and the Inderlanders who inhabit it.

In fact, in this story we take a road trip away from Cincinnati - Rachel receives news that Nick (her old flame) and Jenks' son Jax are in trouble, and sets out to help them. Since Ivy is supposedly unable to leave Cincinnati - otherwise Piscary gets pissed - Rachel invokes black demon magic in order to make Jenks...more useful. In the course of the story Rachel beats two Were alphas, discovers the existence of the Focus which could cause widescale warfare between Weres and Vamps, takes her relationship with Ivy to a new stage, and ogles Jenks......a lot!

There is a lot going on in this book, and it rapidly became my least favourite so far. I enjoyed the interaction between Rachel and Jenks - particularly because his presence was so missed in the previous book - and the uniqueness of his situation in this book. It was also heartbreaking to realise along with Rachel that Jenks actually counts as an old pixy. I liked the set up of the plan, and cheered the double cross of Nick.

However, there were many things I disliked or got tired of. Weres aren't really my thing, and so I found it difficult to stay interested in the main part of the plot. I ended up wanting to shake Rachel, because she came distinctly whiney in this book. Everything needed double or triple analysing and, because we're stuck in her head since it's all first person, we got to hear it all again and again and again. The Focus was suddenly thrust in as a new point having never been mentioned at all in any prior books, and hence came across as an extreme plot device. I also disliked the way Nick was treated - I mean, I never really liked the guy from the get-go and was relieved when he upped and left in the last book and paved the way for Kisten. But no one deserves to become such a jerk from being a fairly nice guy - it's almost as though Harrison got sick of the character herself or wanted to open the path for something else to happen in Rachel's future and so needed to get rid of Nick.

Still, with all that said, this is still a great series and it sounds like there are explosive events ahead of Rachel - especially now that she has more of a handle on what makes her tick.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 1 Jun 2010
I really enjoyed this one. I think this was the best book in this series so far. One part in particularly that I really enjoyed was the conversation between Rachel and Peter when they are Nick's truck on the way to the bridge. Once again, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the series continues.

There is one problem I wanted to mention. Near the end of the book I noticed a LOT of typos. The publisher might need to invest in some better proofreaders

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it, 3 Dec 2014
This was so dull and tedious I ended up giving up when about 75% of the way through as I just couldn't handle anymore of Rachel angsting about everything, Ivy blaming everyone else for her abusiveness and the weres being incredibly weak and stupid at every turn. This book was really awful and I won't bother with the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, 30 Jun 2014
Enjoyed this series and loved getting to know the characters - good series - easy reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 3 Mar 2014
Amazing characters well written and a hint of humour. I love Kim Harrison's Hollows series. Already reading the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 28 Nov 2013
It was thoroughly entertaining to read and had me hooked. There was a lot more of Jenks, who is my favourite character and a lot of character development overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fist full of charms, 24 Nov 2013
Yet another brilliant book by kim harrison same cheeky characters different problems to solve cant wait for the next book if you like witches vamps n weres kims books you must read I take it with me everywhere I go

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 28 April 2013
As always Kim Harrison tells an excellent story with characters that intrigue and pull you in. Never left on the hook but always left wanting the next episode.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Fistful of Charms
A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)