Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 September 2013
The first third and last third of the book were quite interesting but i found the rest very boring and repetitive. However, Derek Jacobi is still a fine actor!
on 3 June 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
on 2 October 2013
As a much admired actor of the old school, I eagerly anticipated reading this book.
It seems to be a pattern these days with 'show business' autobiographies to spend roughly the first third of the tale concentrating on the subjects upbringing. It may be important to give background to the childhood, but only if it is of particular relevance to the ensuing tale. In Mr Jacobi's case, it was not. It was simply repetitious and boring. Not for the first time did I find my self tapping the right hand side of my Kindle screen at regular intervals.
The rest of the book went by in a blur. Just a virtual roll call of his Shakespearian triumphs. He did let us in to his private life in a limited way but he wasn't telling us anything new.
I have recently read two thespian books, one a biography of Alan Bates which was an in depth account of his life and work and is one of my recent favourites. The other is a book written by David Weston, an English stage actor who has worked extensively with Ian McKellan and who wrote about his experiences in his autobiography Covering Mckellan. Both books which I consider far superior to Mr Jacboi's tome.
Still, we have the return of the excellent drama Last Tango in Halifax to look forward to!
on 23 August 2014
One of my favourite actor's
on 11 April 2015
Excellent
on 14 January 2014
Browsing on Amazon I found this book of which I was unaware. Derek Jacobi is a favourite actor of mine and I loved this book. I revealed that he likes many of the things I like such as banana sandwiches, a delightful biography that strikes just the right note, not too detailed buy interesting and informative.
on 27 September 2013
I HAVE BEEN A GREAT ADMIRER OF DEREK FOR MANY YEARS, HE MUST SURLY BE ONE OF OUR GREAT CLASSICAL ACTORS. THIS BOOK IS A WONDERFUL BUY. AND I LOOK FORWARD TO IAN AND DEREK DVD WHICH WILL BE OUT ON THE 25TH NOVEMBER. THANK YOU DEREK FOR A WONDERFUL READ AS "LUCK WOULD HAVE IT".
on 15 February 2014
A lovely book - he comes across as being a very nice man. I bought the book after watching him in the TV series Last Tango in Halifax, and glad I did.
on 27 December 2013
This is such a delightful book, you feel as though you're in the same room, listening to his stories, hearing the anecdotes - lovely.
on 5 March 2014
I enjoyed this book and learnt many things i didn't know about,so very interesting.Would recommend to have a read defo.