Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2016
This is a well written bunch of short stories. This is ideal if you want a quick read.

Heathrow. The busiest airport in the United Kingdom and probably the world. Which makes it a sizeable town in itself.

For me the best chapters focussed on the work of UK Border Agency then what happens in the Air Traffic Controllers room. The development of the central characters there was very good.

So what else is in this work of fiction? Meet people who have a fear of flying. The model with the looks of a Hollywood starlet whose photos on the covers of magazines are the mask of an unhappy life. Not forgetting people who are there to go to a land very far away.

Individuals who deal with emergencies, exotic animals that have passed through the airport. Pilots that fly all over the world. Police officers who carry submachine guns. The Airside Ops team that keep the runways and taxiways clear for take off and landings.
on 9 September 2014
A collection of short stories that together paint a vivid, endearing picture of life at Heathrow Airport, the people who work there and those who pass through. As others have said, it's a slim volume and very quick to read but the stories are varied, well researched and satisfying. One tale brought tears to my eyes and another made me laugh out loud (which is rare for me). I would recommend it to anyone who has ever been to Heathrow (or indeed any airport).
on 19 October 2015
A collection of airoplane and airport related short stories. Regrettably, not short enough. Veering from the minutiae of aircraft technicalities to smuggling drugs for human interest the whole thing was another example of me buying something to read in bed because it's midnight and I recognise the author. Tony, where did you go wrong? This was duller than a 5 hour delay at Alicante Airport with only 15 euros in your pocket.
on 9 February 2012
I bought this book because the Author's name is good enough for me to buy it straight away. I was not disappointed.

This book is informative and well researched into the activities at the airport - funny and sad at times too.

Very readable.
on 7 June 2015
You will enjoy learning a little more about how the airport functions through the fictional characters that live and work there: the pilot, air traffic controller, Immigration officer, the vet. Gentle and engaging.
on 20 April 2015
I read this book in an afternoon and found it very easy reading. All the stories linked in a way and Tony Parsons brings the characters to life. Also an interesting insight into the world of the airport.
on 4 June 2015
Seven short and occasionally intertwined stories about Heathrow and its travellers and employees. Seven well written little tales full of compassion insight and interest . Well worth a read .
on 12 June 2013
Although I haven't finished the book completely, I would not hesitate to pass it on to some of my friends and students. Still, I like more of a plot than the format can offer here.
on 13 November 2013
I've read most if Tony Parsons book and this happens to be the worst one. It's as if he didn't write it and every ending finished with a dull thud of obvious and short conclusions.
on 1 November 2011
At 144 pages this is a very short book of short stories. I found it a quick and easy read and think it would be good for someone just getting back into reading. It had a 'Tales of the Unexpected' feel to it, each story having an unexpected twist in the final lines. I work at a much smaller airport and have worked for the fire service too, so my interest was piqued with the product description. I bought this for my kindle and glad I only paid 1.99 for it.