4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book
Published on 14 May 2013 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars The definition of Style over content
I've never felt moved to write a review on Amazon before but having bought this book based on the glowing reviews on here, I feel I must.

The other bad reviews major on the design/font but they fail to emphasise that the recipes are terrible.

Published on 24 Jun. 2013 by Ali T

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 14 May 2013
This review is from: What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Bobs (Hardcover)
I have been following Katie's blog for a few years now, and was thrilled when she brought out her book. The photography is lovely but there are a few mistakes in the book. I made the Red Cabbage and Fennel salad, which was delicious, but there were no instructions on how to prepare the fennel (this is why I have given it 4 stars rather than 5). I tried to ascertain how to prepare it by looking at the photograph of the finished dish, but it was so soft focus that it was nearly impossible to tell. In the end, I shaved it with a mandoline. Also, the sauce for the Eight Hour Lamb was way too oily, and I wondered if that was a mistake as well. She uses a LOT of olive oil in her recipes. All in all however, it is a lovely book and I agree with the other reviewer who thought the the sections on Salads and Canapes was really wonderful. The chorizo salad was delicious. Glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars With at twist, 22 Feb. 2013
On my first flick through of this delicious looking book I was bowled over by the photography, but left a little flat by the recipes which seemed to echo many of the standard cookbooks I have on my shelves. It wasn't unitl I hit the chapter on salads and then the canape section that I started to look more closely. Both these chapters leap out with lovely ideas and fresh approaches. On closer inspection of the rest of the book, I found myself impressed by the twists on humble kitchen staples such as shepherds pie & lasagne, with many other straightforward ingredients given a lift with new flavour ideas - if these recipes work (and instinct tells me they will) this wll be a much used and appreciated book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 29 Jun. 2013
Great book. Beautiful to look through and although we have only tried 3 of the recipes - all with great results

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 4 Mar. 2013
Izzy (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This arrived on my doorstep this morning and I haven't put it down since! Gorgeous book, beautiful pictures and the recipes look divine. I'd never heard of Katie before or her blog, but I'm an obsessive cookbook collector and this has to be one of my favourites already. Some really simple recipes, others more involved, but I can see it being a well used part of my collection! Pulled Pork is on the menu tomorrow, closely followed by Creamy Macaroni Bake with Salami & Chilli. I have also recommended this book to friends and family already. Well worth a look, and it's the sort of book I can actually just sit and read. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 April 2014
Lots of varied and interesting recipes. Good for easy to make dishes and also variations on a theme. Love the pulled-pork

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Jun. 2015
Best cook book ever!! I have tried lots of the recipes and all have tasted great, would definitely recommend🍴

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite cookbook of all time, 27 Aug. 2014
2 things I enjoy most in the world are cooking and books. "What Katie Ate" became my absolute favourite experience of both. I bought it when it was only just released in Australia after following Katie's blog for years. I did not mind spending a small fortune on Australian price + delivery and it was 100% worth it. I have moved countries twice since then and this book is the first thing I pack every time.

Now I have confidently cooked though most of it and can assure you - it won't disappoint. The illustrations are beautiful and inspiring, the recipes easy to follow and have become ones I use to amaze my guests at dinner parties. I have never heard so many compliments to my cooking even though I've been at it for over 10 years. The book has become an absolutely irreplaceable tool in the kitchen.

In this book you will find ideas for delicious every day starters, mains and desserts as well as creative breakfasts, sauces, sides, canapes and drinks. If you follow the recipe the result will almost always look exactly as it is on the beautiful illustrations. If you are looking for a reason to fall in love with the food, start with Roast Chicken with Lemon Cream Gravy and you will never cook your sunday chicken any other way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This woman can do no wrong!, 26 Jun. 2013
What Katie Ate is brilliant! I have been a long time follower of her blog and find her stories and images of the dishes really well done in her book

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this cookbook, 28 Jan. 2014
Not only is this an incredibly pretty book with fantastic photos but it also has amazing recipes. I've tried lots - the family favourite is the raspberry and chocolate meringue kisses. I've made this many times for parties and they always get an pooh! The potato garlic gratin is extremely rich but gorgeous. I've taken to occasionally doing this with slightly less cream (replaced by milk or water) for everyday meals but for a dinner party treat I still do the full cream version. The mocha chocolate mousse is to die for and the rhubarb frangipane tart is so easy but looks amazing. I cannot recommend this book enough and I can't wait for the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars The definition of Style over content, 24 Jun. 2013

The introduction can be summed up like this - failed graphic designer discovers talent for food photography and tinkers about in the kitchen. And it acts as a perfect review for the book. Once you get past the fact the the photography is stunning and start looking at the recipes, there's nothing to see here. She admits that she's come up with the recipes tinkering and tweaking, and it shows. They are over complicated, over tweaked and impractical. Whats worse is a basic lack of food knowledge. There's not one recipe I've read that I haven't thought, 'Well that's wrong' or 'Why is he doing that?'

Please, get Apples for Jam or something, this book is a joke.

What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Bobs
What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Bobs by Katie Quinn Davies (Hardcover - 28 Feb. 2013)